Sign in to follow this  
Ragnar_Darude

High ping, why?

I play from Sweden, got a 10Mbit true broadband connection and my specs are 2,8Ghz Pentium D, 1GB RAM, RADEON X600 256Mb Graphics card and WinXP MediaCenter Ed.

When i try to play online, my latency almost always stays above 150 ms, sometimes drops to 45 but more often goes up to almost 400. I have no probs in singleplayer, and i set all visual details to Very Low just in case. I often get kicked out of servers or cant connect at all.

Tried NetLimiter that i read about on another thread, but it doesnt help.

Please help me.

Play on servers who are also from Sweden, if it still has the same problem you'd probably have to open some ports but I don't know that much about stuff like that.

I do know that when I play on servers from Holland I get constant 12 ms but when I play on English server it's allready up to 40 and higher.

But still no 140 ms so must be some router configuration, what kind of router do you have? there was a threat here with a 'how to set up your router' section

I don't use a router, my building got a networksocket right in the wall. No ports are blocked either (except port 25) nor am i using any firewalls or anything here.

Yup you have some problem, I have 8 Mbit/s down connection and slower computer than you have, my ping to Central European servers is usually around 40-60 ms from Finland.

Are you sure the internet connection is not shared with other apartments in the same building/building complex? That's for sure one way to get higher ping when others are taking their share of the bandwidth.