Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

How to get AI to drop gear for you?

Hi Guys, question here:

In OFP, it was possible trough the action menu to command any AI unit in your group to drop an item of gear. Which was helpfull if for example you wanted to place satchels yourself but had none left, or similar.

But in ArmA, whenever I select "gear" from the AI's action menu, they run to the next dead soldier or vehicle before opening the gear screen. Which can be deadly for them.

Am I missing something?

I've never had them go anywhere special to do the gear action.. that's weird!

It's better of if you ask in the mission scripting section.

I cant help you any further.

Hi Guys, question here:

In OFP, it was possible trough the action menu to command any AI unit in your group to drop an item of gear. Which was helpfull if for example you wanted to place satchels yourself but had none left, or similar.

But in ArmA, whenever I select "gear" from the AI's action menu, they run to the next dead soldier or vehicle before opening the gear screen. Which can be deadly for them.

Am I missing something?

Yes, the "Gear" action is like the ReArm action in OFP. Instead you want to go to your briefing docket, click on the "Group" page and click on your guy's name there. That brings up his gear screen (interactive) immediately.

i always find that a bit stupid way to do things, how come we cant just go straight to that soldier, open up gear menu and exchange weapon with them directly as a commander? confused_o.gif

Because you'd walk into a crowd of 10 guys and your action menu would look like this:

Weapon Binocular

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Weapon M136

Because you'd walk into a crowd of 10 guys and your action menu would look like this:

Weapon Binocular

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Gear

Weapon M136

dont think so, as you crosshair needs to point directly to things such as ammo box, dead bodys, cars, tanks and stuffs inorder to bring up the gear menu which show the gear hold inside that object, little improvement over OFP, only no one knows the way how to make it better

If your soldiers are in a formation, they would run away from you when you approach them to keep that formation. Which is a bit annoying when trying to get to your medic. You have to order him to stop and then go.

I guess the same would apply if you wanted to exchange gear. But yes, that option would be very good to have.

i always find that a bit stupid way to do things, how come we cant just go straight to that soldier, open up gear menu and exchange weapon with them directly as a commander? confused_o.gif

Then it would be even more work to order AI to use the Gear action on other objects (like ammo crates/vehicles & bodies), since every time you used it they would either go to the nearest teamate or just use it on themselves (which could possibly happen if it's not thought through right).

Also, AI leaders wouldn't be able to utilize such a feature properly, you might see one ordering a squad member to rearm when he gets low on ammo, only for that member to take ammo from a fellow squad member (and possibly even force him to rearm, and so on).

If you carry an M16 and want to get the M249 from the "machinegunner" put you`re M16 on the ground, select the gunners gear section in the action menu.

Now the inventory from the machinegunner will open, where you can pick up the M16 for the machinegunner.

Than you can use the M249. smile_o.gif

Or go to the map, then group and doubleclick on the machinegun of your soldier wink_o.gif

Thanks, I didn't realize this could be done trough the briefing and gear screen. Makes sense.