Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Fixed my game getting slower by like this

Well i must say i am well impressed by somone giving me this tip i share here.

I used to have a SATA maxtor hardrive with a transfer rate of 150. My game would get slower and slower as i played untill it crawled along. Then this guy recomended that i should get a hard drive with a transfer rate of 300.

I really didn't think this would do the trick, but for me it has. I went and bought a WD SATA 2 with a transfer rate of 300 and boy am i glad i did. The game holds up now and does'nt slow up after time.

Also this is not a reinstall of windows i did to this new harddrive, it is an image of my old hard drive using norton ghost, so its not a reinstall that has done the trick.

Just to make sure;..does your mainboard controller

natively support this SATA 2 drive(newer mainboards),

or did you connect the new one to just an SATA (1) controller,

and *still* this improved performance for you? SATA 2

HDDs are backward compatible, but not every combination

SATA 1 controller -> SATA 2 drive will work!

-

Also, does the new HDD have more internal cache than your former?

Those questions are very important for others. Please share

this info. Thanks. smile_o.gif

Say, your former Maxtor had 8MB internal cache; does the new

one have the same amount or more? (16-32MB cache?)

Since ArmA has this streaming technology, I think the amount

of cache would be *more* important than the interface

speed alone. (150 to 300MB/s in theory)

150 or 300 shouldnt make any difference?! but yea has it 16mb cache or more RPM-s? Going from 7200 to 10000rpm should make a significant difference and also better latency.

not a single SATA drive today, actually use SATA2. Peak rate might be 150mb/s, but the sustained rate is somewhere around 90mb/s.

amount of cache is more improtand than how fast the data gets transefered.

My cache was 8mb now its 16 also my old drive was 80gig and the new is 250gig running at 7200. I am not sure why getting a new drive has changed this. I just know that my computer used to slow down after about 20 mins and after testing last night it took 3-4 hours of constant play before it started to slow up abit.

If somone can explain to me why they think this has happened i would like to know. Hell i might even go for a Raptor drive with a 1000 rpm.

well u doubeled ur cache size...

I would suggest to invest to sumthing else than a raptor drive, as u have a good drive allready smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

^

yah.

I do have only Raptors left in my 2 machines (3 each)

and for me, it was worth it. Performance is very good

compared to my former EIDE drives wink_o.gif

-

However; newer 7200rpm drives with more cache are

cheaper, provide more room, run cooler and quiter as well.

You made an good choice with SATA 2 with more cache! smile_o.gif

I want solid-state, dangnit! hehe.

Im glad it worked out for you dukester, bandwidth is the key not the speed RPM or Cache Size of the Hard Drive. Were you also able to play at the settings i told you about ? and was the majority the bug issues gone as well?

Im glad it worked out for you dukester, bandwidth is the key not the speed RPM or Cache Size of the Hard Drive. Were you also able to play at the settings i told you about ? and was the majority the bug issues gone as well?

What i found most is that my game didn't slow down 20 mins in like before. My game kept the same speed for about 4 hours.

I also noted that in some instances where i would get 35Fps in certain places. I was now getting 42 FPS in the same places.

Anyways thanks for the tip, it worked for me.

Funny, I have an old slow ata-133 with 8 meg cache and get no slow downs(ive ran the game for hours at a time playing revolution). Maybe your old HD had a problem.

Either way Im glad the new HD works for you thumbs-up.gif