Sign in to follow this  
xy20032004

New way to improve the AI?????

Last night I unpboed the small "bin.pbo" file and unpacked the "config.bin" to .cpp format. After searching for some time I found several lines with " AISkills... and xxxx(0,0,1,1)".

The xxxx stands for some skills, but 5 or 6 lines of "(0,0,1,1)" got me confused. Not knowing what these digits stand for, I guess this is another way to improve or at least make some adjustments to the AI.

So I am here asking for help, hoping someone can figure out the meaning of these digits :-)

interesting...

my only guess is they may be min and max multipliers?

Quote[/b] ]

class CfgAISkill {

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

aimingShake[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.5, 1, 1};

endurance[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

spotDistance[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 0.4};

spotTime[] = {0, 0, 1, 0.7};

courage[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

commanding[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

general[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};

};

These config values are not directly mentioned in the BI wiki as far as i can see?

I now expect the 4 config values are Minimum Cadet, Minimum Vet, Maximum Cadet, Maximum Vet. Again only a guess.

I am sure you will find that in the Biki...  whistle.gif

So let`s guess instead of just reading it in a manual...

CfgAISkill is not in the Biki, and I didn't expect it to be, because it's not something that usually gets edited. Perhaps you should have checked that first before you start making snide remarks.

I still don't like your negative attitude towards this game and the users of this forum.

(by the way, yes there is a command called "setSkill", but that doesn't explain these arrays)

@ fasad: Sorry, I thought my name is already a brand and hence you could imagine the sarcasm.

I demanded a documentation from BI about all commands and parameter.

And Wiki/Biki is nothing reliable.

@ MadDogX: If you do not expect it to be there, fine. I do.

And to nail it into your head: I like the game, but not the business behavior of BI/Publishers.

Quote[/b] ]

(by the way, yes there is a command called "setSkill", but that doesn't explain these arrays)

What is this? Should I have answerd like you:

No, there is no cfgAIskill, but a setpos, it doesn`t help, but cool isn`t it?

Hi all

Just keeping this for posterity

Quote[/b] ]@ fasad: Sorry, I thought my name is already a brand and hence you could imagine the sarcasm.

I demanded a documentation from BI about all commands and parameter.

And to nail it into your head: I like the game, but not the business behavior of BI/Publishers.

Quote[/b] ]

What is this? Should I have answerd like you:

INNOCENT&CLUELESS has an Axe to grind and has admitted the same although I think INNOCENT&CLUELESS motivation is not necessarily what INNOCENT&CLUELESS tells us.

To the point

You are getting very convoluted to obtain stuff that is in your ArmA Profile.

Make a copy of the file named:

My Documents/(ArmA or ArmA other profiles)/username/username.ArmAProfile

That is your backup! Keep it somewhere safe!

Now open your original ArmA Profile in Notepad and look for this section:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.600000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.600000;

Experiment sensibly

As to ArmA AI

BIS have exposed the Finite State Machine (FSM) thus allowing us to edit AI. There are several FREE! FSM editors available to the community. You can even use a professional one if you have access to one. They are nice visual editor tools.

Using the correct tool for the job is always a good idea. Using a hammer to dismantle your car engine will often mean it does not run as well afterwards. wink_o.gif

Kind Regards walker

To the point

You are getting very convoluted to obtain stuff that is in your ArmA Profile.

Make a copy of the file named:

My Documents/(ArmA or ArmA other profiles)/username/username.ArmAProfile

That is your backup! Keep it somewhere safe!

Now open your original ArmA Profile in Notepad and look for this section:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

skillFriendly=0.850000;

skillEnemy=0.600000;

precisionFriendly=0.850000;

precisionEnemy=0.600000;

Experiment sensably

This should be stickied somewhere. It's been posted enough times in the "OMG, AI are supershots!!! not fair!!" posts that regularly spring up.

Quote[/b] ]I demanded a documentation from BI about all commands and parameter.

I guess you're free to expect anything you want, but if you truly think BIS is obliged to explain every single minute aspect of the game's code in the Biki, then you're living in a dream world. Anyway, what gives you the idea that you can demand a full documentation of the game's code?

Let me explain something to you: You spent 50€ on Armed Assault. Fine. Do you know what that means? It means you bought the right to USE the software. That's all. The money you spent did not give you the right to demand anything else.

Quote[/b] ]And to nail it into your head: I like the game, but not the business behavior of BI/Publishers.

I believe you have made that perfectly clear many times. So clear in fact, that you recieved a WL+1 on one occasion. I'm not a moderator but I would strongly suggest you change your attitude, because I for one don't like it at all, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Quote[/b] ]What is this? Should I have answerd like you:

I mentioned the setSkill command because I thought you were referring to it when you wrote:

Quote[/b] ]I am sure you will find that in the Biki...

So let`s guess instead of just reading it in a manual... whistle.gif

You obviously didn't notice the similarities between the setSkill parameters and the CfgAiSkill in the config. If you want to be sarcastic, try and think before you write. It helps.

Let me explain something to you: You spent 50€ on Armed Assault. Fine. Do you know what that means? It means you bought the right to USE the software. That's all. The money you spent did not give you the right to demand anything else.

I disagree.

That's not true for italian civil law.

Of course, I can understand you can't have explanation for every thing about the game-code.

That's reasonably.

But there're a lot of things which, in my opinion, Bis should reveal to the customer.

For example: what are the font to be used in a dialogue?

And the button resources? There is not a guide for the editor.

I think it's quite un-fair give the ability to the customer to use dialog, for example, and not put him in the condition to do that.

My opinion of course...

smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

I disagree.

That's not true for italian civil law.

Of course, I can understand you can't have explanation for every thing about the game-code.

That's reasonably.

But there're a lot of things which, in my opinion, Bis should reveal to the customer.

For example: what are the font to be used in a dialogue?

And the button resources? There is not a guide for the editor.

I think it's quite un-fair give the ability to the customer to use dialog, for example, and not put him in the condition to do that.

My opinion of course...

smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

If italian civil law indeed is so much different then I think that the game would not be sold there or there would already be lawsuits.

You start off about civil law and end with your opinion..... hmm

Well, this thread has derailed pretty fast, party because of me, so I'll try and put it back on track:

Has anyone tried modifying the CfgAiSkill values? If yes, did it cause any significant changes?

I might make a mod folder and give it a try later. I'll report my findings here.

Well, this thread has derailed pretty fast, party because of me, so I'll try and put it back on track:

Has anyone tried modifying the CfgAiSkill values? If yes, did it cause any significant changes?

I might make a mod folder and give it a try later. I'll report my findings here.

Sorry mate... You are right.

I haven't played with those settings yet.

But if they simply decide the limits of the skills, then I would only play around with the setSkill function (BIKI), as you can change the mentioned things by using setSkill in the game. And evaluate what all those different settings do etc.

Still, it would be good to know what the settings really mean in the cfg.

Sorry mate... You are right.

I haven't played with those settings yet.

But if they simply decide the limits of the skills, then I would only play around with the setSkill function (BIKI), as you can change the mentioned things by using setSkill in the game. And evaluate what all those different settings do etc.

Still, it would be good to know what the settings really mean in the cfg.

I've actually tried to change AI skill ingame with the setSkill command but I didn't really notice any effect.

What interests me is that the setSkill command in-game only uses single numeric values for each skill, but the CfgAiSkill area in the config gives each an array of values.

It would be nice to know what these values do exactly.

Editing the files under C:\my documents\............ bra bra is a story long long ago, I carefully studied those files the first time I got the game.( Done this before, in OFP)

What I talked about in the first post is something new which OFP has never touched. Exploring new things to have better game paly experience is my goal.

Please don't misunderstand my words, no use to mention something which is known to all. We need new blood to go on with the job. :-)

(...)

What I talked about in the first post is something new which OFP has never touched. Exploring new things to have better game paly experience is my goal.

(...)

Hear hear. wink_o.gif

I've actually tried to change AI skill ingame with the setSkill command but I didn't really notice any effect.

There is, by my experrience as i was testeing them. For example 'aimingShake' and 'aimingAccuracy' seemed to affect to accuracy of shooting a lot. But i haven't tested them complitely, so i'm not 100% sure (more like 50% wink_o.gif )... I'm on my way to test them...

EDIT: no, 'aimingShake' and 'aimingAccuracy' doesn't seem to work. I just imagined things earlier sad_o.gif

EDIT: no, 'aimingShake' and 'aimingAccuracy' doesn't seem to work. I just imagined things earlier  sad_o.gif

I beg to differ. I tried the following experiment earlier: I put an enemy rifleman approx. 100 meters away from me, looking at me. Then I lied down or moved around a bit to see how fast he could hit me.

No AI changes:

Usually he hit me with the first few shots.

setSkill ["aimingShake",0] and setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",0]:

The AI missed A LOT, usually firing too high. It sometimes took him more than two magazines to hit me!

My conclusion: setSkill works!

setSkill ["aimingShake",0] and setSkill ["aimingAccuracy",0]:

The AI missed A LOT, usually firing too high. It sometimes took him more than two magazines to hit me!

biggrin_o.gif That's glad to hear!

I had same experience when i tested it with enemy AI which my groupmemeber were firing (and they missed alot), now i tested it with empty RACS 4x4: There was no effect: fire was as accurate with those same skills being at 1 and 0.1... Is this related to threat levels? If it is... yay.gif

Using the same mission created by myself, I set the digits to :

class CfgAISkill {

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5};

aimingShake[] = {0, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5};

aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.8, 0.9, 1};

endurance[] = {0, 0.6, 0.8, 1};

spotDistance[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

spotTime[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

courage[] = {0, 0.6, 0.8, 1};

reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0.6, 0.8, 1};

commanding[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

general[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

};

AI now attacks you at 2x the original range with 50% accuracy.

AI will move to you under rain of bullets, much braver!

AI will fight each other longer time, making more fun!

Just tried it and I'm unable to reproduce your result... is it possible for you to share your test mission?

Tried setSkill array before but couldn't notice any real difference...

/KC

The settings above should work. I tried many times.

Put a west and an east group in the ariport, the view there is straight and wide, let them face each other with a distance of 300m, set one waypoint for each team, let them run to engage, you act as a civilian and watch them fight. Use the orign bin.pbo and the modified bin.bpo to compare.

The original bin will let them start shooting at about 150m.

The new bin will let them kill each other at a range longer than 200m even 300m. That's cool, I like that. They AI shoot you at longer range with reduced accuracy and they are braver to push forward. Yeah!

@xy20032004: I have no doubts changing the values in class CfgAISkill works. I was refering to the setSkill array command and the result MadDogX mentions...

/KC

Put a west and an east group in the ariport, the view there is straight and wide, let them face each other with a distance of 300m, set one waypoint for each team, let them run to engage, you act as a civilian and watch them fight. Use the orign bin.pbo and the modified bin.bpo to compare.

The original bin will let them start shooting at about 150m.

The new bin will let them kill each other at a range longer than 200m even 300m. That's cool, I like that. They AI shoot you at longer range with reduced accuracy and they are braver to push forward. Yeah!

They AI shoot you at longer range with reduced accuracy and they are braver to push forward.

I think a more cautious AI is better

How do you address this issue (in which array)?

Thanks

I only know how to modify some config settings, I am not a programmer. :-)

I modify the settings to fit my taste by running test missions.

So what indeed those digits stand for, I can only guess. But at least I now am happy for the changes of the config. tounge2.gif