Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Explain this to me..

Okay, I thought the raise terrain feature around soldiers was only when standing on grass textures....

Apparently not.

wtf3ru8.gif

wtf2zd4.gif

wtf1ns8.gif

Yay looks like ArmA has quicksand people can hide in on low terrain detail confused_o.gif

Hi

I reported this into the ArmA Community BugTracker: 0002037: Soldiers sink into ground

You could also make a comment into that same bug report that you get it too and post your system specs and ArmA settings there.

Baddo

Terrain detail setting? And does it go away when you change the terrain detail?

It's possibly caused by the automatic reduction of the precision and detail of distant terrain. I've noticed map objects floating in mid air around hilltops. Try increasing the view distance and/or terrain detail.

It could also be mistakes in the distant grass layer.

Or maybe even MP desync/interpolation.

Quote[/b] ]Terrain detail setting?

Low, gets even worse on very low.

Quote[/b] ]And does it go away when you change the terrain detail?

From normal and above it pretty much goes away.

Quote[/b] ]Or maybe even MP desync/interpolation.

If MP is multiplayer you are referring to, this was single player.

Kind of understandable if it goes away at 'normal' settings.

It is not understandable biggrin_o.gif

The bug report I made shows what happened when editing a mission, surely it was not a multiplayer session.

"Oh by the way, if you tune your settings down then soldiers will appear sinked into ground! But take it as normal!" Yeah right...

rofl.gif

Oh thank heavens, now at least I know that this is ONE issue not caused by the horrors of getting my 8800 drivers to play nice with my motherboard and windows 2000 wink_o.gif

Hey people who noticed the same issue,

go to the ArmA community bugtracker: 0002037: Soldiers sink into ground and leave your note that you get this problem too. Let BIS know that it is something they should care about at some point of their bug-fixing parade.

It really looks like the "sink into grass layer" feature (which is a nice feature) being applied to some enemy at distance on sand where it obviously shouldn't.

This may be a stupid question - but are you sure there isn't a legitimate fold/dip in the ground at that point?

How?

I mean, you may be right, but with the sand texture it is very hard to tell. I look very hard at those screenshots and sometimes I think I can just about detect a faint line that might might indicate there is a fold in the ground, and then again I look again and decide I'm imagining it.

Screenshots of the same soldier in the same location as you get closer and also move around it would perhaps help make it obvious one way or the other.

How?

I mean, you may be right, but with the sand texture it is very hard to tell. I look very hard at those screenshots and sometimes I think I can just about detect a faint line that might might indicate there is a fold in the ground, and then again I look again and decide I'm imagining it.

Screenshots of the same soldier in the same location as you get closer and also move around it would perhaps help make it obvious one way or the other.

Ive seen the bug as well if terrain is to low, people can look like they are 2 foot in the air on ridge lines etc.

joint Ops had this as a feature for snipers to "hide" in the grass even when grass wasn't rendered.

if you went prone you got molded into the landscape to make you harder to spot.