Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Does a Geforce 8600GTs run the game good

I am thinking of buying a new graphics card. I currently have the Geforce 7800 Gts and was looking at getting the Geforce 8600 Gts.

The problem is, that i have not seen anything on here about how the GF 8600Gts runs with this game. There is a link below to the card i was looking at.

I just want to know if i would see a better performance if i purchased this card, or if anyone here has a Gf 8600 GTS that can say how it performs.

http://www.cclonline.com/product....er_id=0

I am thinking of buying a new graphics card. I currently have the Geforce 7800 Gts and was looking at getting the Geforce 8600 Gts.

The problem is, that i have not seen anything on here about how the GF 8600Gts runs with this game. There is a link below to the card i was looking at.

I just want to know if i would see a better performance if i purchased this card, or if anyone here has a Gf 8600 GTS that can say how it performs.

I'd spend a little extra and go for a 8800 GTS 320/640.

Its worth thinking about how many features in CRYSis you wann turn off. We know for a fact a single 8800 GTX can just about run it. So anything less you going to be dialing down screen res and eye candy.

GTS's start form 200 pounds

GTX's start from 360 pounds

8600 is WAY cheaper, but what are you willing to lose visually?

or you could wait for the next line of DX10 cards, which will be better, and cheaper than the current first generation models (let the price war begin - i.e. once ATI catch up)

I know which one I'd go for

I'd spend a little extra and go for a 8800 GTS 320/640.

Its worth thinking about how many features in CRYSis you wann turn off. We know for a fact a single 8800 GTX can just about run it. So anything less you going to be dialing down screen res and eye candy.

GTS's start form 200 pounds

GTX's start from 360 pounds

8600 is WAY cheaper, but what are you willing to lose visually?

After spending a week optimizing my Dual Core system 3.0 Ghz, my 6800 runs really well, good enough for me anyhow.

Most settings are at normal to low, but ive found a good medium where the graphics still look really good to me.

My only gripe is that ive lost some fps due to the 1.05 patch, but was getting an average of 25 to 35 fps in heavily wooded areas/ with alot going on. In more wide open (southern ares) it would go up to 45 + fps.

I agree tho with the people that posted here, for longevity you might want to go with a slightly more expensive card, even Im prolly going to get a better card sometime in the future.

Well... i believe i will eventually play Crysis, like run thru it once and throw it in the back of the shelve with the "rest", but i know i will play Arma for a very long time.

If a 8600GTS runs Arma reasonably well it wouldnt be a bad choice for a mid range DX10 card.

Well... i believe i will eventually play Crysis, like run thru it once and throw it in the back of the shelve with the "rest", but i know i will play Arma for a very long time.

If a 8600GTS runs Arma reasonably well it wouldnt be a bad choice for a mid range DX10 card.

Well thats how i am thinking at the momment. I played ofp for 4 years and the rest of the games went on the shelves never to be touched again.

I like this game Armed assault, but just need a better performance from it. I am currently getting between 18 and 50 fps and this all depends on the maps i play.

The problem on this forum is that some people are saying they get x amount of fps. when infact they maybe playing only CTF, wich has nothing to do with the fps you might find in Hold maps.

I get about 40 to 50 fps playing Hex CTF, where as playing the Bersker hold maps brings me 18 to 30 fps. All this just leaves everyone confused about what fps you should expect.

I think someone should set up a thread that gives a better indication about fps and the type of map they play. CTF, Hold, Coop, its all different fps for me, so there is nothing to go by.

Btw, can somone tell me what island the Hex ctf is on, that might expain why it has good Fps.

Well if u leave 3 games in the shopshelves you can buy a 8800gts 320 instead of the rather shite 8600.

Still as u can get it for around 140€ allready it's not a bad card for people on a budget.

I just purchased 8800GTSOC you have to be sure you have a power supply high enough for it or like in my case have graphics issues. But think once i get that i'll be a happy camper, also be sure your tower has enough fans too as they tend to run a lil hot.

Dudester; you got an good card already right now and if you plan

for really good performance in addition to high settings in most

current and future games, just hold yourself back from buying

an 8600GTS. Just a little longer... (~summer season)

You should really aim for the 8800GTS/640MB *at least* if

you want to be set for the next 2 years to come. Then, there is

still ATI to come out as well. (8800GTS/prices will come down)

-

In my opinion, the 8600GTS are just cut down (features) way

too much and you wont enjoy this new card

(@medium to high settings/let alone ArmA) as you may hope for now.

Its not even a tough decision, if you monitor some benchmarks.

--

Check those numbers! (8600GTS vs 8800GTS)

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8951/86xmi4.jpg

-

Most important: Stream processors, Memory interface, Texture Fill Rate, Memory Bandwidth.

The clocks are way less of interest.

Some advice: (second to last paragraph)

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2970&p=9

i got a 8800GTX, which i overclock a bit here and there. Fact is that i'm still not happy even doh it gets better with every update from Nvidia and BIS. This 8600xx is using only 256MB GDDR3 which i don't really get. On 1 hand it is for dx10 with shadermodel 4.0 on the other hand it's pretty lame. I think there is no card yet worthy to invest for 2 years.

As for Hexenkessel, it is on Sahrani west of Cayo, but as it is surrounded by houses blocking the view, it's logical that the fps's are really high as there is nothing ro render beyond 50m VD.

I know, we 8800 users are having big demands in fps, therefore it might look that we're complaining alot, but as other games are running better with more fps while even having a better look, we're kind of confused...  crazy_o.gif but well, i mean 400km2  inlove.gif

guerilla @ April 19 2007,01:06)]i got a 8800GTX, which i overclock a bit here and there. Fact is that i'm still not happy even doh it gets better with every update from Nvidia and BIS. This 8600xx is using only 256MB GDDR3 which i don't really get. On 1 hand it is for dx10 with shadermodel 4.0 on the other hand it's pretty lame. I think there is no card yet worthy to invest for 2 years.

As for Hexenkessel, it is on Sahrani west of Cayo, but as it is surrounded by houses blocking the view, it's logical that the fps's are really high as there is nothing ro render beyond 50m VD.

I know, we 8800 users are having big demands in fps, therefore it might look that we're complaining alot, but as other games are running better with more fps while even having a better look, we're kind of confused... crazy_o.gif but well, i mean 400km2 inlove.gif

in defence of the 8600, its cheap when the r600 arrives all the 8 series will drop in price like the rest of the 8 series it has improved video playback including HDTV etc that is better than all previous Nvidia cards (almost as good as ATI now).

The 8600 can also run many game with HDR and AA high unlike the previous Nvidia cards.

For future proofing a 8800 is a better investment depending on your needs. But that also means you might need a new CPU mobo RAM and PSU!

If your happy running games at 1024x768 in meduim settngs the 8600 would be fine. If you want to max details and res then you need a 8800 or R600.

From somebody who has a 8600gts, (with 512 Mb GDDR3, but at 128bit sad_o.gif Got it for a very good price thou. )it works ok, you do see a difrence, can't max everything but you can turn a few things up. Heck, I wish I had the $1000 AUD to buy a 8800gtx ultra, but a man has to live within his means.

P.S.

DO get fans for your case. Before I did that, had the GPU get up to 90*c (Thank god for the second monitor to show me! ). Three fans later, hasn't passed 60*c, still getting use to the noise, and thinking at the same time how to mute it.

If your happy running games at 1024x768 in meduim settngs the 8600 would be fine.   If you want to max details and res then you need a 8800 or R600.

hmmmm strarge, i run game on 1600x1200 with max details on x1950xtx uber-limited edition. and its go just fine.