Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

WinXP searching in files

Sorry, may be slightly off topic here, but how do I modify my Windows XP installation so that I can search for specific words inside script.sqf files or mission.sqm files?

When I rename the file to .txt, the search generates a hit, but when leaving them to other extensions, I'm getting nowhere even though I know the text is there.

Windows have some extremely odd "tools" banghead.gif But is there a way to reconfigure this so that it actually looks in all files, not just those with the .txt extension?

That's one of the fantastic new XP features, 'all files' doesn't actually mean all files, it means files Microsoft thinks you should be searching from tounge2.gifcrazy_o.gif

There is some way to add custom extensions to the list of searchied files, but it is easier to just use some external software that does what you ask instead of trying to be smarter than the user. UltraEdit has a working file search feature for example.

You can reconfigure and remove the filter, but I will warn you...

If you do that, you are opening a big can of worms. It will also search picture files, mp3 files, etc.. etc..

Meaning searching will take FOREVER.

If you are really interested, download Desktop Search for XP. I use it on my laptop, once it has finished indexing your files (can take a few days if you are working while it indexes)performance is very fast - much faster than UltraEdit. Not that it matters, but if you use Outlook it will search emails and attachments also.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows....px#wds1

EDIT:

Addins: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/search/wdsaddins.mspx

for things like searching in PDFs, etc...

Grep is a wonderful program, there are also Windows ports.

It's a "feature" of XP...

But disabling is not that big a deal.

Here are the instructions ("Method 2" is what you want).

Thanks, I'll have a searching go once I get home. UltraEdit? Wow, didn't even think of that, even if it's running all the time biggrin_o.gif I guess I could even search using reg exp, probably very nice indeed.

Don't have grep or any unix utils installed yet on my fresh system.

Yup, that "feature" has cost lots of problems with work too, since sometimes we need to search certain files for things too, but with XP that feature is "gone"... Microsoft, how about a switch:

Search all files... and

Search ALL files...

Oh well. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: Method 2 worked like a charm! Excellent.

I would reccomend you *don't* use method 2.

That removes filters altogether, see crashe's post above.

It's better to use method 1 in that list, and add each type you want.

Specifically these lines are what you should probably use:

Quote[/b] ]

To resolve this problem for other file types, install a program that registers a filter for the file type that you want to search. If no program that provides a filter is available, you can use the plain text filter for a file type. To do this, add a PersistentHandler key under the file type key in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and set its (Default) string value name to the following value:

{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

For example, to use the text filter provider for .zzz files, the following registry setting should exist:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zzz\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

After you add this value to the registry, you must log off and then log back on to make the change take effect.

The keys you are likely to want, following the example in that article are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sqs\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sqf\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ext\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

If you want mission files too:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.sqm\PersistentHandler\(Default) = {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}

Believe me, searching every file, regardless of type for a specific string isn't such a hot idea. It will dramatically impact your searches, and the stored indexes xp maintains on those searches will literally eat your hd space.