Sign in to follow this  
archbishop lazarus

Tank driving in ArmA

Hi everyone,

I think tank driving in the game is very unrealistic because in reality you can't turn round under a second (I drove a tank last year, so I know that's impossible) Is it possible to create a mod that makes it more realistic?

I know ArmA isn't a tank sim, but it would be cool! wink_o.gif

i think thats more to do with your mouse sensitivity than anything else, i certainly cant turn a tank in under a second!

bootneckofficer

Got the same problem, if you get the tank in full speed and turn it flips around in a way I dont think even a car can do (tried Keyboard arrows too, but same result).

Maybe a F1 when its stopped and hit full throttle.

If I put mouse sensetivity lower, it would take a year to look around.

If I put mouse sensetivity lower, it would take a year to look around.

Oh how I love exaggerations!

It happened to me quite often too that a tank nearly turned 180° when I only wanted to drive around a corner. Is there a bug report yet?

Oh how I love exaggerations!

Hehe sorry then, it takes a few secs actually.

But thats a very long time for turning around compared to reality.

Well obviously ArmA does not try very hard to realistically simulate driving, the cars and the motorcyles have unrealistic driving characteristics at least.

I've never driven a tank but I know the principle of a tracked vehicle and how such vehicle turns in general. If you try to make a 180 degree turn with a tracked vehicle very quickly, by braking the other track (possible even putting it to reverse) and by throttling the other track, it is possible to make a tracked vehicle to turn in its place (no advancement into any direction happens). But under higher speed there is an unavoidable slide into the direction the vehicle was originally heading (law of physics and thus unavoidable). Such a quick turn would require that the vehicle is driving on an easily-slideable ground. Otherwise the vehicle might not have enough power to make the turn so rapidly; too much contact forces caused by friction to overcome. This could be the problem with tanks, I don't know. With lightweight tracked vehicles it for certainty is possible to turn around 180 deg very quickly. If a tank has enough power then should be possible for them too to turn quite quickly into opposite direction.

So, what I am saying is that you can turn a tracked vehicle very sharply in short amount of time. Put the other track full speed forward, the other track full speed backwards (even if vehicle going forwards, the track can slide to other direction already and make the turn quick). It will not be nice to the driver/passengers but it is possible in theory and in practice, I've done it many times myself with other tracked vehicles than a military tank. I'm not saying it is realistic for a tank, only saying it is possible, as I've done it many times on an appropriate surface with a lightweight tracked vehicle.

More than likely if you pulled such a maneuver you would throw a track in reality.

- Hitori kyo

Quote[/b] ]So, what I am saying is that you can turn a tracked vehicle very sharply in short amount of time. Put the other track full speed forward, the other track full speed backwards (even if vehicle going forwards, the track can slide to other direction already and make the turn quick). It will not be nice to the driver/passengers but it is possible in theory and in practice, I've done it many times myself with other tracked vehicles than a military tank. I'm not saying it is realistic for a tank, only saying it is possible, as I've done it many times on an appropriate surface with a lightweight tracked vehicle.

Yes, that's true, but it is still slower than in the game. I've driven a T-55 and a Gsp-55(modified PT-76 chassis), and if memory serves me well, a full turn took about 6-7 seconds with either of them, and I don't think even an Abrams or a T-90 can turn much more quickly.

This has nothing to do with mouse or keyboard settings.

It happens to AI driven tanks to, the config of the tanks need an update.