Sign in to follow this  
GaFF Oz

Killing the Scud

Anybody got a good plan for killing the scud? I’ve snuck up “the hill’, I can spot the scud but if I kill it with a LAW I get spotted and killed by return fire, i can kill it’s crew a stop the launch, but it doesn’t count as a mission win. November gets taken out by AA tanks every time, I’ve tried crewing the helos with my own men and telling them to target the shilkas but it does no good, Zulu is to weak to take out the enemy armour, I’ve worked my guys pretty close though the woods to the east, they do some damage till spotted, then are overwhelmed by inf and tanks. Any help?

Thanks

GaFF

Don't go onto the hill, i tried it about 2 days and it did not work wink.gif

Try to get about 250 metres south of the scud, there is a really small hill covered with trees, but you can kill the scud from there

hill is nearly impossible..

try it this way:

take the jeep and one men with u and drive to the cobras (man as gunner)...if u can handle the cobra it´s a great weapon.. ;-)

fly fast and low (under 20 ft..) and try to lock the scud, if u got it use the hellfire..there are 3-4 shilkas around so be careful

i think there is another cobra so u can try to take 3 men with u and command 2 in the other cobra..then formation line or whatever, ey should fly behind u, dont forget to order "fire at will"

The other way.... fairly difficult to get it right...

is to order your infantry squad to go to the battlezone, while you circle around to the south and head up along the same path as the Armor squad would take. (Ordering them to move up at the same time)

Once the infanty and tanks start engaging, tell the infantry to target a shilka. When it is destroyed, tell them to target another...

2 or 3 destroyed (you can even destroy the third youself) is enough to allow November in for a nice Missile run. (They do NOT destroy the Scud for some reason though) So you have to do that yourself.

Just watch out for the Russian Infantry. I got bogged down in a gun battle with SO many enemy soldiers. US and Russians were intermixed everwhere, I actually had to double-check each target to ensure it wasn't a friendly. (All the while cowering in a tiny shrub)

thanks fellers, finnally did it Diogenes way, as my retry postion was close. Crewed the helos with my guys and used them to extract me, wasn't easy, could kill the scud but getting out was a bi*ch! Now... how do you fuel a hind while under fire from a T80?

I have completed the mission twice from by shooting from The Hill with a LAW. It's by no means impossible or difficult.

The secret it to get there without being noticed. Take the Jeep to the western side of The Hill. Mark the spot where you left it. Continue on foot and avoid all patrols. Go to the exact center of Dj51. There is a little ledge. Fire the LAW from here. Make sure to hit the first time. Quickly select the MP and run back westward. There are some trees right behind the position at Dj51. You are now safe run back to the jeep and you are home free. Takes less than 10 mins to complete.

Forget about the support because the are far far too weak. I tried the position 250 meter south of the SCUD and believe me, it's much harder to escape from there than from the hill.

The Hill is definitely the place to take out the Scud. I had to try it a couple of times (wondered why it was marked on the map, so I went to check it out), first time I stayed around and gloated and was shot to pieces by a Shilka.

There is only a small group of Ruskies up the hill, you can drive the jeep all the way up, either take out the group or ignore them to do the task and then take off.

Before this I tried multiple times several other methods, but was always killed before I spotted the Scud. Of course, I had no idea of its exact location before going to The Hill.

//Naw

I just placed C-4 at the first Shilka on the hill, killed some guards with RPG's, put C-4 near Scud, C-4 near Eastern Shilka very close to Scud, RPG'd the West Shilka near the Scud from the east cover near the Scud, then crawled all the way south to the closest south hill that is near the Scud, detonated explosives, then RPG'd the final Shilka far south of the Scud.  Hide well!!!!   First call for Tank's to got west, then  1 to 3 minutes after the call, call for AH-1's to slag the tanks.

The worst enemy after that were the enemy infantry near home base.

After spending WAY too many hours trying to complete this one, I finally found an easy way to do it.  I was able to complete it by myself, in less than 15 minutes.

First, you have to know where the SCUD is in order for this to work.

Second, at the start of the mission, tell all your men to "Stop" and to "Hold Fire".  If you don't have them "Hold Fire", the sniper will start shooting guys from across the map and then the whole plan is ruined.

Now, move yourself to "The Hill".  You can run in 4x mode.  You should be able to manuever to the top without running into a patrol.  Line yourself up so that you are North of the SCUD.  Then, crawl south along the trees to the SCUD.  There is one patrol that you will have to watch for.

When you reach the last tree, you will still be a distance away from the SCUD.  But, there are bushes closer to the SCUD.  Crawl to those bushes.  Don't worry, the Spetz Natz are looking in the other direction and the tanks won't notice you.

Once you get to the bushes, get as close to the SCUD as you can without leaving the bushes.  Drop all 3 satchel charges there.

Then, proceed back up the hill along the trees.  Remember to watch for that patrol that you passed the first time.  Keep you options menu open until you can no longer set off the charges.  At this point, you will need to move a few feet back towards the SCUD until that option returns.

Fire off all 3 charges.  The SCUD should be destroyed.  Then, crawl back up to the top of the hill.  Use 4x mode again.

Once you are at the top, crawl back to your base.  Eventually you can get up and run back.

Mission completed succesfully.

A bit easier just drive to The Hill in the jeep and fire a LAW wouldn't you say (as I described in the 6th post in this thread)? That took me less than 10 mins and I didn't use accelerated time.

First time playing, I actually drove in the jeep straight past the tanks without beeing shot at. Then fired LAW got in jeep again and sped off. Still without reaction from those tanks.

But hey, thanks for making me aware that it is possible to fly the AH-1 yourself. I am the Red Baron if I get one of those. :biggrin:

just take the cobra it worked for me

and you get to fly to

to fly and win or to walk and die, that's another question

No, this is about the first scud. The one in the mission "Search and Destroy".

You are thinking about "Red Dawn", right? The scud in that mission has alternating locations. But is always in the far, far north-east of the island.

Afaik, it can be in the little base there, or by a little house nearby. Anyway, you will find it by going as far north-east as you come. But stay on the mainland, it is not on the little island. wink.gif

a guy in another thread relating to this reckoned that you could just sit where you are, call in the tanks and the cobrasand put the tie on 4x speed and the shilkas wouldn't be able to shoot them down. Then, when everyone is wasted, you can pretty much walk up and get the scud.

Completed the mission several times.........before I upgraded to v1.30. Just got to it last night now and if it's like the other missions after upgrading it's gonna be a tuffy. I always did it on foot, never even new you could take the cobras. Where are they located. That sounds like that would rock!

Is there anyway to get your teammates to give you the LAWs? I'm on this mission atm (not stuck of course ahem ahem cough) and I tried many ways, mostly I blow the scud easily then die trying to get out, or trying to blow the shilkas. I usually approach from the trees in NE, there is a lot of cover there and lots of soviet RPG guys wandering around.

Shooting your own AT soldiers could get me past it but it is against my principles...

I did this mission this way. Drive to the location on the map where November starts. Hop in the chopper by your lonesome, put on manuel fire and the unguided missiles as the weapon. Fly around the valley to the North and then come in from the Northwest into the valley and just keep shootin those missiles. You can blanket an entire area with explosions and it doesnt take much to kill the skud. Just watch out for those shilkas, I ended up getting shot down after I killed the scud so I had to run the rest of the way back to base. Oh, and make sure you send your guys someplace so they dont try to follow you.

Yeahh the easiest way to end the mission is to take one of the helicopters, take the jeep to go to the heli base. First of all try to destroy 2 Silkas with the Tow missiles, the without AA cover, to destroy de Scud will be easy

Twice the following happened:

I lead the squad in the battlezone

Call the support , destroy 2 Shilkas

Get to the point where my AI spots the Scud

and then one of the Zulus destroys it

Getting back is difficult because of the inf , almost all the squad dies.