Sign in to follow this  

Performance Loss 1.02 - 1.05

I cant even find the threads that indicated performance losses once upgrading to 1.05 here anymore, im sure an admin will point my post to the appropriate thread wink_o.gif

I spent a month waiting out upgrading to 1.05 due to all the posts about the performance losses, especially for Dual Core users.

No suprise, I finally upgraded because of neccessity, and I have lost about 5 fps on same settings as before, and have lost the nice grass look that I enjoyed before, now its all just flat ground.

In a mission with stuff going on nearby, I ran fine at 25 - 35 fps, now ive dropped to 20 - 30 sad_o.gif, same settings, and im using a dual core system with a standard geoForce 6800 graphics card, so 5 fps hit is alot for me.

Kinda stuck with this new patch, I appreciate all that Bis has done, but I sure hope there are plans to remedy this new issue with 1.05, I spent a good week tweaking my system on 1.02 to get 35 fps during conflict, just to see it go buh by...

As a note, I have noticed an actual increase in fps when watching foliage up close crazy_o.gif , and a substantial decrease in fps now looking at landscape in distance, almost like everything reversed...

I cant even find the threads that indicated performance losses once upgrading to 1.05 here anymore, im sure an admin will point my post to the appropriate thread wink_o.gif

I spent a month waiting out upgrading to 1.05 due to all the posts about the performance losses, especially for Dual Core users.

No suprise, I finally upgraded because of neccessity, and I have lost about 5 fps on same settings as before, and have lost the nice grass look that I enjoyed before, now its all just flat ground.

In a mission with stuff going on nearby, I ran fine at 25 - 35 fps, now ive dropped to 20 - 30 sad_o.gif, same settings, and im using a dual core system with a standard geoForce 6800 graphics card, so 5 fps hit is alot for me.

Kinda stuck with this new patch, I appreciate all that Bis has done, but I sure hope there are plans to remedy this new issue with 1.05, I spent a good week tweaking my system on 1.02 to get 35 fps during conflict, just to see it go buh by...

As a note, I have noticed an actual increase in fps when watching foliage up close  crazy_o.gif , and a substantial decrease in fps now looking at landscape in distance, almost like everything reversed...

How did you remove the grass? I have all on lowest setting (i think), and grass is still there. Looks good, but by god is useless for a sniper probe in grass. At least on my computer.

Didnt remove the grass, just meant the new change in its appearance,which looks to me like just textured flat ground now.

I didnt like the grass obstructing view like most here, but, it also looked beautifull in game, they couldnt have just allowed in prone to not have the grass obstruct view somehow without basically removing it? Or at least allowing the original grass be an option?

ah well, setUnitPos works now at least... smile_o.gif

Didnt remove the grass, just meant the new change in its appearance,which looks to me like just textured flat ground now.

I didnt like the grass obstructing view like most here, but, it also looked beautifull in game, they couldnt have just allowed in prone to not have the grass obstruct view somehow without basically removing it? Or at least allowing the original grass be an option?

ah well, setUnitPos works now at least... smile_o.gif

Well grass does block your view in real life too.

well you couldn't find more posts about it ?

you were not looking :P

i also suffer from 1.05 patch

when i had 1.02 i had all on "highest", after patch i couldn't play anymore (game was loosing textures after 15 minutes)

people say that this is causeb by new Starforce (in CZ and PL ver.)

now to play i have all on "low" sad_o.gif

dualcore AMD, 2 GB corsair, Nvidia 7900

The 1.05 patch does have a performance hit, as I have said before it's probably because of the new grass layer that lets you hide in grass over a distance.

Hopefully 1.06 will have some performance optimizations.

Yeah we can only hope for 1.06.. We DEFINATELY need that server patch... we're paying for a server and not getting any use out of it because of the Gamespy server reporting bug

Quote[/b] ]well you couldn't find more posts about it ?

you were not looking :P

Ya, I know they are in here, didnt really want to dig up one of those threads thats 2 weeks old, but anyhow...

Quote[/b] ]Well grass does block your view in real life too.

Yup, I agree. Although, of course in game the tall grass didnt block the view of the ai, which is pretty major issue. I wish they could get that grass to work, the enviornment, especially out in the northern areas was so much more surreal with it, now to me it looks more like Ofp ground sad_o.gif

honestly if it wasnt for all the addons that arent compatable with 1.02 out now, I d still be with 1.02...

Flip side, nice to see Bis fix all the many bugs, but I think Id rather get lag occasionally from looking at a certain tree than now having lag all the time. If there seems theres no way for Bis to get the next patch to fix the new lag issues, I think certain aspects of 1.02 should be re-implimented into the next patch so it is the way it was smile_o.gif

Yup, I agree. Although, of course in game the tall grass didnt block the view of the ai, which is pretty major issue. I wish they could get that grass to work, the enviornment, especially out in the northern areas was so much more surreal with it, now to me it looks more like Ofp ground sad_o.gif

You are still visible lying in the grass, part of your body is still sticking out. The grass may obstruct your view when lying down, but it's not long enough to hide you completely.

The grass does make it harder for AI to see you(since 1.05), but you are not invisible.

I like the grass flattening but I kind of really dislike the new grass layer, and not only because of the FPS loss.

Not that I have a better option, but I don't really like the way it cuts straight the feet, wheels and tracks of everything. I understand the purpose, but it feels even more artificial than before. It doesn't feel like they're hidden in grass, it looks like a visual bug or something.

Another problem is lack of visual perception of the grass height. Since you don't have the perception of whether this should be tall grass or not, you tend to think that what you're seeing is what there is : the ground with short turf, and not a flat layer floating 1 m above surface, possibly hiding invisible OPFOR...

I like the grass flattening but I kind of really dislike the new grass layer, and not only because of the FPS loss.

Not that I have a better option, but I don't really like the way it cuts straight the feet, wheels and tracks of everything. I understand the purpose, but it feels even more artificial than before. It doesn't feel like they're hidden in grass, it looks like a visual bug or something.

Another problem is lack of visual perception of the grass height. Since you don't have the perception of whether this should be tall grass or not, you tend to think that what you're seeing is what there is : the ground with short turf, and not a flat layer floating 1 m above surface, possibly hiding invisible OPFOR...

I'll agree that it does look ugly at times, but it is useful.

As for invisible OPFOR, I have never found a spot where you can be completely invisible. Part of the unit will always stick out, none of the grass in ArmA is long enough to hide you completely.

You are still visible lying in the grass, part of your body is still sticking out. The grass may obstruct your view when lying down, but it's not long enough to hide you completely.

The grass does make it harder for AI to see you(since 1.05), but you are not invisible.

Thanks for the update on that, ya, Im sure you guys noticed, being I just grabbed up 1.05, Im not real well informed on exacts with new changes goes (aside from lag biggrin_o.gif )

This all of the sudden has just struck me as funny, I mean, really, friggin grass being this big of an issue, but, I can clearly see the difference of having it and not having it, and it really does make a huge difference in immersion factor.

I guess id assume that Bis is probably most interested at this time in just getting everything up and running smoothly regarding both Fps and bugs, so maybe flattened grass is here to stay for a while if they manage to get the lag down due to it, or else id assume they would have made the original grass work with prone players against both ai and other players, probably a big job to work out a fix for this, having to edit view of prone players in grass thats not accurate to the true grass height/thickness in game to allow a relatively clear perspective.

I will be patient and hope for the best with upcoming patches, I certainly hope they address this tho, my current large scale project has been *acceptable* so far in moderately consuming Fps, and as a large scale mission like this grows, if patches that come out remove Fps rather than increase, it will only make more work for us to get these types missions to even run, having to hide/spawn 3/4 of the units on the map, jus to see a patch 6 months later that fixes the previous fps loss and all that hard work of managing hidden units was a waste of time and work.

Yeah I've been looking for a thread in which to post this ever since I installed 1.05 (release day) but, apart from the new Harrier sound, a few graphical tweaks, I wish I hadn't upgraded (read, downgraded) my ArmA.

It's come to the point where I haven't played ArmA in over 2 weeks and even the odd time I do launch it, it's just to try out an addon, which I ultimately won't be able to enjoy properly anyway sad_o.gif

I think some of the grass FPS problems have to do with the processing of shadows on it. Personally, I can turn grass off and leave shadows on and get the same FPS as if I left grass on and turned shadows off. I get the EXACT same FPS.

i will tell what i told before

people in my country who have cheaper and less power PC are now happy, they have VGA older than Nvidia 7600, they have 1 GB DDR, they have one core PCU

i know many people in my country who are happy after patch

but also i know many people who like me - dual core, better VGA, 2 GB ram and they have problems like hell

after patch 1.05 i thought i will uninstal game because it was totaly unplayable

in 1.02 i had all options on high, highest

no i have all on low

shit

if 1.06 patch won't make performance better i am uninstalling it finally

i can't accept that people with one core AMD 3500, 1 GB of DDR 400 MHZ, Nvidia 7600 128 have better performance than my (AMD 3800 X2, 2 GB corsair extreme, Nvidia 7900 256)

I hear you Vilas.

What kinda annoys me is the people that come after people like us that are "complaining" about issues, and say were a bunch of morons, we should shut up and be happy with what we have - well, for those of us that have lost significant performance in a game we purchased that declared certain system requirements that our computers met, I think we are well within our rights to proclaim such, I notice its always the people that get no problems from their Arma game that bash people that are having problems, calling them "complainers" lol.

I know alot of people say its just the grass, although I myself find it odd right now that ive lost a considerable amount of fps due to "grass" while others have reported little, no loss, or increase in fps, and interestingly alot of dual core users have posted 1.05 has caused lag.

I think its good people troubleshoot and whatnot, try to get an idea of whats going on here, but unless people really truly do know whats going on, anything should be left as a possible cause of performance loss.

Also feel it was a mistake to remove the original grass, rather than fix issues with it, I miss the atmosphere that it provided, without that grass to me the map looks alot more like Ofp with bergohffs nature pack installed (great addon btw biggrin_o.gif).