Sign in to follow this  
karazy

Framerate Limits

No matter what I do to my graphics (lowest everything, including resolution), I get 30 FPS average in-game and 60 FPS average when looking at the sky/maps/etc.

What can I do? I know about VSYNC, and I don't want tearing.

I have a Viewsonic 19" monitor (native res: 1280x1024)

Geforce 7900 GT 256mb

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2GHZ)

1gb DDR2 RAM (or something like that.)

your cpu could be the bottleneck for your fps. i had a 3200+ and 6800gt. changed to e6400 and 7600gt(should be same performance as 6800gt). with that cpu change i had a 70-90% fps increase.

I bought this computer from Alienware (lol), so I'd sure as hell hope it isn't bottlenecking.

Why the holy hell are you moaning about 30FPS?

God I hate people who want 4000000000000FPS or something just to show of.

Turn off your FPS counter. You won't even notice the difference!

30FPS is very smooth and very playable. I barley even get 20FPS in good old OFP, I only moan when it drops below 10FPS.

30FPS is very smooth and very playable. I barley even get 20FPS in good old OFP, I only moan when it drops below 10FPS.

Moaning? I paid hundreds for this thing with the successor to OFP in mind about a year ago, and when it finally comes out I get OFP style performance even with all the settings on low. I'm sorry that I can't accept mediocrity like you seem so easily able to.

And my FPS counter is off. It gets to the point where I don't need an FPS counter to be able to tell.

I'm not fricking showing off, I just want a decent performance with this game.

what gfx settings are you on ?

btw i have the same system as you (but 2gig ram) - play with everything on low but at 1440*900 res. never been an issue to be honest.

Quote[/b] ]What can I do? I know about VSYNC, and I don't want tearing

Does this mean you didn't even bother to try disabling

VSYNC because of the tearing you are aware off?

Or does it mean you tried it and it's a given fact that you

are experiencing this 'tearing'?

Also - 3,2ghz with 1gb of ram are not the world especially

when talking about games in year 2007.

Are you using the maxmem parameter in your shortcut to

ArmA?

What further improvements did you try out to optimize your

performance in ArmA - and don't say everything because if

you do so, noone could ever give you any advice since

everything has already been tried. wink_o.gif

~S~ CD

Moaning? I paid hundreds for this thing with the successor to OFP in mind about a year ago, and when it finally comes out I get OFP style performance even with all the settings on low. I'm sorry that I can't accept mediocrity like you seem so easily able to.

And my FPS counter is off. It gets to the point where I don't need an FPS counter to be able to tell.

Karazy, ask alienware about a rebate/trade in for a faster CPU GPU combo an Intel Duo E6300 and a 8800 GTS and new ram might be cheap from them in the Uk you can kinda upgrade with them. And you would get 2-4x min' the performance of your current machine.

Yep, hate to say this your current machine now just about hits medium spec. Sorry but the 8800's changed everything then the intel Duo cores came along and scrapped even the AMD 62 FX.

Drop texture to low, leave AA off, turn off PP (cause even the might 8800 struggles with that). Leave vis range about 1km and drop terrain to low. In nvidia control panal hardset Af and AA to app controlled.

If you have alienware video booster, set it off as its a pig with some games. Also make sure you are auto updated with all the latest drivers blah blah etc.

Just bear in mind even a quad core intel with 8800 GTX SLI oc'ed with hyrdogen can run ARMA or Supreme Commander and not go below 5fps if you max everything at high res.

Karazy, ask alienware about a rebate/trade in for a faster CPU GPU combo an Intel Duo E6300 and a 8800 GTS and new ram might be cheap from them in the Uk you can kinda upgrade with them. And you would get 2-4x min' the performance of your current machine.

Yep, hate to say this your current machine now just about hits medium spec. Sorry but the 8800's changed everything then the intel Duo cores came along and scrapped even the AMD 62 FX.

Drop texture to low, leave AA off, turn off PP (cause even the might 8800 struggles with that). Leave vis range about 1km and drop terrain to low. In nvidia control panal hardset Af and AA to app controlled.

If you have alienware video booster, set it off as its a pig with some games. Also make sure you are auto updated with all the latest drivers blah blah etc.

Just bear in mind even a quad core intel with 8800 GTX SLI oc'ed with hyrdogen can run ARMA or Supreme Commander and not go below 5fps if you max everything at high res.

Is all my stuff really the medium mark? I'm not sure if this is exactly true, because at ANY graphics setting I still get 30-60 FPS, whether it's everything on high or everything on low. ALL my other games- BF2, HL2 and it's engine mods, GRAW- run at highest every setting and I'm still okay (50-60 FPS average in all but HL2, which is 60 constant).

I might as well just disable VSYNC and revel in the glory of white lines.

But thank you. I'm gonna give Dell-ER, I MEAAAN Alienware a call and see if they can give me rebates.

Quote[/b] ]I just want a decent performance with this game.

30 - 60 FPS on high settings is decent performance, man!

Is all my stuff really the medium mark? I'm not sure if this is exactly true, because at ANY graphics setting I still get 30-60 FPS, whether it's everything on high or everything on low. ALL my other games- BF2, HL2 and it's engine mods, GRAW- run at highest every setting and I'm still okay (50-60 FPS average in all but HL2, which is 60 constant).

I might as well just disable VSYNC and revel in the glory of white lines.

But thank you. I'm gonna give Dell-ER, I MEAAAN Alienware a call and see if they can give me rebates.

As you start to enable AA and Supersample AA those FPS would plummet. If you play RTS games like Supreme Commander or Company of Heros or C&C3 then the CPU does become as important as the GPU.

Also HL2, GRAW are 1-2 year old games a better test is ARMA, Company Of heros, Supreme Commander. All three eat most PC's alive.

If you view the latest Alienware site, the slowest machine would benchmark at least 2x faster than your current machine. The big change being dual core CPU's, RAM doubling in speed and GPU's quadrupling in speed since you bought your last PC.

My AMD 4000 single core and 7800 GTX could run BF2 all high with meduim AA 1024x768 and not stutter below 30 FPS. When I put an 8800 in I could go ALL high 1280x1024 and not go below 60fps. Thus in simple terms i doubled my FPS. At the start of the round I could get 200 FPS with an 8800, I turned of the 100 FPS limit.

If I was running a Duo Core I would expect to see another 30-50% increase in FPS according to many web benchmarks as the 8800 bottlenecks EVEN on a AMD FX 62!

Its best to turn tripple buffer off in ARMA, it has its own one, and generally turn of vsync (it cuase mouse lag) as most machines can't hit the 60 FPS mark needed for smooth 60 hz play.

I remember playing the CoH demo with everything up besides AA (which was on the medium- what? 2x FSAA?), and I got 40-60 almost constantly, besides air strikes and other graphics-intensive effects.

I bet if I had my res lowered it would've run better.

I remember playing the CoH demo with everything up besides AA (which was on the medium- what? 2x FSAA?), and I got 40-60 almost constantly, besides air strikes and other graphics-intensive effects.

I bet if I had my res lowered it would've run better.

yep AA and supersample AA are FPS killers. resolution is as bad.

Run the COH test mode, my 7800 eith everything maxed AA meduim got a max score of 60 and a min of 12. Same machine at 8800 got 99 max min 39.

basically the 8800 just allows you to run AA on and not drop below the 30 fps.

In COH use the ALT key and pan the camera thats were my 7800 slowed to a crawl. The 8800 does not bat an eyelid, mad the game alot easier. Also you current card is 256 vram? COh supports 512 vram textures, makes a big visual improvement that.

Note: dont try and run arma with 16Q AA it didnt like that at all...