Sign in to follow this  
plasman

New Zealand SAS

New Zealand SAS

Since a lot of talented folks are already working on the Australian troops I figured I could do some texturing on other guys down-under.

Here are some screenshots of the Ngati Tumatauenga / New Zealand Army troops in Desert DPM. Beta version of the regular units and SAS.

4c0adee7.jpg

eb4ad94e.jpg

5898d695.jpg

c9b39276.jpg

Looks good Plasman. After all, you Can't have ANZAC without NZ.

One little critique, while the Steyr's are well modeled, the colour of the butts are woeful. They should be closer to a washed out olive drab. If you didn't texture them, please disregard. I do agree with Ironsight, tone down the DPM slightly and it will look unreal. At the moment the uniforms look as though they have just come out of the quartermaster's.

That aside good work, and I'm glad to see someone has not neglected out trans-Tasman cousins.

Thanks for the suggestions. smile_o.gif

Actually something strange is happening. The DPM looks much darker (and greener btw) on Paint Shop Pro than in ArmA. Must have something to do with the lighting conditions I guess. Will tone down the whole thing a bit.

As for the Steyr it's not my model but Tiger's one. Tiger did a great job with the G11, but I must admit I don't like the Steyr much : It's a bit too small and the (low resolution) texture is not up to ArmA's standards.

Here are some pictures (from the New Zealand Army site) I based the DPM upon:

wn07000118.jpg

oh06048113.jpg

And here is a photo of the proper "texture" of the Steyr under NZ service

wn06031601.jpg

Since a lot of talented folks are already working on the Australian troops I figured I could do some texturing on other guys down-under.

Holy crap. There other people from down under tounge2.gif

Nah, Good to see some NZ troops. Open up some option for mission like joint ops between AUS and nz in Saharani wink_o.gif Keep up da work

Quote[/b] ]Holy crap. There other people from down under

Yep, and don't forget the penguins biggrin_o.gif

The old NZ Maori Battalion is legendary, and their artillery proved to be some of the best gunners in the world after long Tan.

My hat's of to Plasman for giving them the recognition they deserve.

It is interesting to note that although small in size the NZ Army is deployed in an amazing number of overseas theatres (including Afghanistan, Timor, Solomon Islands, Kosovo, Bosnia, Lebanon, Egypt, Middle East, Sudan, Iraq, South Korea), this makes the Kiwis perfect candidates for being part of a Sarahni joint peace-keeping force.

Quote[/b] ]It is interesting to note that although small in size the NZ Army is deployed in an amazing number of overseas theatres

Last I remember, the Kiwis only had 2 regular Infantry battalions. Don't know how many reserve infantry battalions though.

The old NZ Maori Battalion is legendary, and their artillery proved to  be some of the best gunners in the world after long Tan.

Damn a Maori battalion. Those guys are though even without guns. Scary to think of them in combat. Wonder if they do the Hauka (Or however u spell it) before a battle?

Quote[/b] ]Wonder if they do the Hauka (Or however u spell it) before a battle?

yes, the Maori battalion was known to do the Haka before battle against Rommel's Afrika Korps. They have ceased to exist and Maori (sing & plur) are now fully integrated with the Pakiha (Anglos)

I wonder if anyone is doing any Maori faces to go along with Plasman's reskins. It would make an awesome combination.

The old NZ Maori Battalion is legendary, and their artillery proved to be some of the best gunners in the world after long Tan.

Damn a Maori battalion. Those guys are though even without guns. Scary to think of them in combat. Wonder if they do the Hauka (Or however u spell it) before a battle?

Apparently they do it at least to welcome visitors :

wn06031603.jpg

Members of NZPRT 8 welcome the incoming NZPRT 9 contingent on to Kiwi Base in Afghanistan's Bamyan province. Picture from the New zealand Defence Force website (http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/default.htm)

if youre doing NZSAS you can basically do UK SAS

theyre very much alike telling from their gear and uniforms.

havent seen many (actually any) SAS dude wearing helmets

or having patches of their nationality or unit

so removeing them would be wise.

havent seen many NZSAS pics but telling from those ive seen they are nearly alike brit SAS

They look great - and a great idea! smile_o.gif

Just like other people, I think the cam needs a bit more of a softening, it seems a bit bright atm...

And don't forget the kneepads on the guys wink_o.gif

But otherwise, very cool! notworthy.gif

I decided to do the SAS first in order to avoid using any additional addon (NZSAS are equipped, among other weapons, with M4), however there is a sore lack of pictures of the SAS (which is easy to understand) so I decided to do the regular troops as well. So the addon will eventually be renamed New Zealand Army rather than New Zealand SAS.

Will delete SAS shoulder patches (this really makes sense).

I didn’t see any pictures of (regular) NZ soldiers wearing kneepads.

Sounds great mate

Quote[/b] ]I didn’t see any pictures of (regular) NZ soldiers wearing kneepads.

Yeah, I know, but they're modelled on the guy so maybe I thought it's be good to paint them in? The impression of the kneepads looks a bit strange.

But just my 2c mate, it's your mod and it looks cool

wink_o.gif

Darkened the uniforms and lowered the contrast by about 10% :

f2d45fc0.jpg

572c6a0d.jpg

Also added some kneepads.

@plasman

i got plenty pics of brit sas/sbs

pm me if your interested

Apparently they do it at least to welcome visitors :

[/img]...picture of them doing a dance...[/img]

Members of NZPRT 8 welcome the incoming NZPRT 9 contingent [...]

Is it customary to perform kapa haka with a loaded rifle

(as at far right in that picture)!?

Do the New Zealand troops differ in any important respect

(apart from service rifle) in uniform and accoutrements from

modern British?

@Col. Faulkner

Apparently NZ uniforms do not differ much fm British ones, except for their "Fritzlike" helmets.

@ Nephilim feel free to post your pictures on this thread they will surely help me and might help other people doing some British style troops as well.

@plaintiff1

Increased the amount of green and decreased red already but the result really depends on the lighting conditions of the screenshots :

Here are some examples (both soldiers have exactly the same uniform colour/tone, but lighting is different.

4a28f6d7.jpg

bdba6fe9.jpg

On this other shot you'll see the background uniform colour as it appears on Paint Shop Pro compared to the result in Arma.

6bc25c2.jpg

Arma’s lighting makes the uniforms look brighter and reddish.

Btw clean British/NZ Desert DMP are somewhat reddish anyway) : see this link for details/pictures : http://www.henrikc.dk/camouflage/details.asp?autono=220

Looks great mate (or should that be "Choice Bro"?) tounge2.gif

Compared to the photos they still look too saturated and too red to me.

edit: The photo the nephlim posted is a good source of colour values because it's clear, but in order to eyeball it, you'll have to kill the background and replace it with some neutral colour like midtone grey. Currently, the background is more saturated and red than the camo and it's messing with your eyes.

Here are some new screenshots.

Applied a grey/green layer over the uniforms.

Squad auto rifleman with C9 Minimi and woodland DPM CamelBak :

2ce3a71c.jpg

Rifleman with Steyr AUG

69d9eb71.jpg

dude its still of..

you dont need to overlay something over the pattern...

change the saturation of the pattern itself...