Sign in to follow this  
Chan

Battlefields

I love this map, Battlefields.

There are not many massive scale infantry assault missions like this that are user made, by any chance are there some excellent massive infantry assault maps (GOOD ones) out there?

I play battlefields on my puny

PIII 450/GForceIIGTS/320SDRAM and its barely playable, but its still DAMN fun!

Kudos to BIS for creating such a mission that shows the power and uniqueness of the Operation Flashpoint engine technology wink.gif

damn it, I've got to try this mission again. I've only played it a few times and been killed near the beginning every time. Usually some sniper from 400-500m. Haven't stuck with it, so maybe sometime soon I'll take the time.

COLINMAN

I haven't gone through it.....I played it once tell the second attack starts and since they have armor coming at us and we are not equipped to handle the threat we died.....probably why I didn't play it again but I'm not sure....

The armor can be a problem, but there are ways to deal with it.

Pick up AT weapons from any corpses that you find, and take out the BMP first, since it presents a bigger threat to infantry (they usually fire more, and seem to be more aware of infantry). You can also use LAWs and RPGs as anti-infantry weapons when you see clusters of enemies.

I modified the Battlefields mission into a MP version by making any of the positions in the squad playable. Ordinarily you are a Grenadier, but with "MP Battlefields" you get a choice, and you obviously can have human buddies, which adds a lot of depth to the mission.

The mission used to be available on Flashpoint Arena, but they are gone now. I should upload it to another server, but where?

The version it came out with (I forget), battlefield was hard. During the first assault hardly any of the friendly forces survived.

But in V1.4 it seemed easier, most of the friendly forces survive and help out with the second attack, it's very cool. I just sit there with an RPG launcher taking out the bmp's and tanks, but always get shot by the sniper.

Everyone suggests going after the sniper from the start of the mission, but then you miss out on the action sad.gif

"Battlefields" was a nice change of pace, but not quite to my liking. It's a shooting gallery, nothing more. As long as I can make more realistic and interesting large-scale missions myself I'm not complaining, though.

Good mission.

I only played it via version 1.42

Hide behind sand bags. I never had a real problem with the sniper, but I know what you are talking about.

A lot of people forget this is a squad simulator. If you are not the leader you need to stick with your squad.

I preferred the russian revenge as it seems more intense enemy combat etc.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Guest @ Feb. 07 2002,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Good mission.

I only played it via version 1.42

Hide behind sand bags.  I never had a real problem with the sniper, but I know what you are talking about.

A lot of people forget this is a squad simulator.  If you are not the leader you need to stick with your squad.

I preferred the russian revenge as it seems more intense enemy combat etc.<span id='postcolor'>

I usually hide from the sniper using the Ural for cover smile.gif

i usually nick the brdm, drive up the hill, run over the sniper and his guard, then take out loads of tanks and troops with the sniper rifle and the rpgs i picked up during the first assault

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 07 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Everyone suggests going after the sniper from the start of the mission, but then you miss out on the action sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Sniper team (sniper + soldier) gets to their post (up-hill on the left from Soviet position that are objecive of attack) just before first Soviet counter-atack. I usually get RPG, destroy BMPs and tanks, then I go after sniper, take his SVD + full load of SVD ammo and wait for second counter attack as sniper.

Andy

Mister Frag, Could you tell me how you made it into a multiplayer mission ?

Exactly. I extracted the component files from the .PBO, and opened the mission using the editor. I changed all the squad members to playable, and that was it; I then exported the file as a multi-player mission. No other changes were made, so it plays just like the original.

The only problem I've found is that the dedicated server won't load the mission, it goes to 100% CPU utilization and doesn't recover. The same mission works fine with the non-dedicated server.

When I open a mission in the editor (Vulcan SP mission) I don't see any vehicles or soldiers to edit. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DynaBlue @ Feb. 08 2002,02:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When I open a mission in the editor (Vulcan SP mission) I don't see any vehicles or soldiers to edit. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?<span id='postcolor'>

Thats cos it's encrypted mate. You gotta decrypt the sqm file first. It's odd cos the HMMVW, later missions are already unencrypted, must have something to do with the version it was made with.

arg i hate this mission.... i play it and never die, the thing is, is that the russian inf run to the forest and never come back. to fight the tanks, just sit behind the sand bags all day!