Sign in to follow this  
Slavka

New idea for MP

Ok, i'm not entirely sure if this is an original idea but i just wanna throw it at You guys (OFP community) to think about.

Would it be cool if two Dedicated OFP servers could communicate between each other?

I'm thinking this could bring a whole new level for MP.

Sure there are bunch of downsides to this (Netcode being one). But for purely broadband servers that could be a total blast. Imagine playing server-vs.-server in co-op biggrin.gif

This idea is totally open to criticism. I just want to see community's response to this.

Also i'd like to see BISs response.

So far they've done a very good job of responding to the community.

Anyways, lets see where this gets us.

Hmm well if it was workable it could certainly be fun smile.gif

As far as how workable this is:

In a perfect scenario, where both servers are on say a T3 and higher so the latency between them is negligible, this is fairly easy to do. I'm talking at a very high level of course.

The data that servers would pass around is essentially the same data they pass to their clients - US.

So clients on the other side don't ever have to know whether it came from their server or from the other side.

Now, provided that all clients are on CABLE/DSL with pings below 100ms this could really work.

That would be cool.... Its like stressing a server off, so it doesnt have to take 20 players, but instead 2 that takes 10 each.

Well it would be alot more traffic as the servers has to update each others. It would also be very hard synchronize them, not to mention the code required for this...

But certainly cool. smile.gif

The coolest thing would be if each server maintained their island, so you had one team on one island and another team on the other. So to fight they had to take a boat or chopper over. smile.gif

-Rekrul

Its something that I've been thinking out for about a year now. I have a friend whom owns a small programming company, they are working to create a devolopers tool to create a system that would allow it. I cant wait till that hits, this whole gaming world would turn upside down! hehe

I can get u more info on the tools my friend is workin on if u want.

-laz