Sign in to follow this  
Charlie_McSheenie

Driving Cars when you're a nipper

i'm gonna be 17 in august and with all the money i've made doingh various jobs in school and during the summer, i'm probably gonna buy a second hand car so i can drive to school everyday and get out of boarding (cos it sucks biggrin.gif)

i'm not sure if i can get a drivers license in germany due to laws, but cfan i, as a british citizen, get a drivers license in goods ol blighty and then cruise the streets of bielefeld in my 1000 euro passion wagan? (or could i even get a drivers license at 17 in Britain?)

You can get your provisional at 17 in the UK...if you're already driving test standard I gues you could get a last minute cancellation and sit your test pretty much straight away (not sure how it works these days with the written test though...you might have to wait longer)

Not sure if your UK licence would count in Europe straight away...got a sneaking suspicion you need to be 21...but again I could be completely wrong...it's some time since I had to worry about being to young for anything...ah well.

I know of a few uses of the word....

Nipper - young person (Most likely)

Nipper - young life guard (Not likely)

Nipper - Chinese person

As for the road rules, surely there is a website that will tell you out there somewhere.

I am from Australia, so I can't help with either countries road rules.

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ Feb. 07 2002,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what the hell is a 'nipper' ?<span id='postcolor'>

nipper = young person smile.gif

You can get your licence in germany, If you lived there longer than half a year I think. BTW by german law you have to undergo a psychological test before you apply for a driver's licence. So maybe it will be a little easier for you to get your licence in the UK wink.gif

I think as long as i don't tell them about this forum i can pass that psycological test wink.gif

i've lived in germany for 16 years (or 17 years when i turn 17 wink.gif ) so does that mean i can get a german drivers license when i turn 17? despite the fact i'm a english citizen who can't even speak german very well

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskie @ Feb. 07 2002,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think as long as i don't tell them about this forum i can pass that psycological test wink.gif

i've lived in germany for 16 years (or 17 years when i turn 17 wink.gif ) so does that mean i can get a german drivers license when i turn 17? despite the fact i'm a english citizen who can't even speak german very well<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I do think this is possible in the EU.

In the Netherlands they change any driver's licence from a another country into a dutch one as long as you can prove that you've lived at least 6 months on a row in the country from which the foreign licence originates.

BTW.

Many germans come to holland to get their driver's licence, because here you don't have to undergo a psychological test. When they pass they trade their dutch licence in for a german one. I think in germany they don't have the rule that you must have lived for 6 months in the country where you got your foreign licence.