Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

PC Gamer game of the year: Ghost Recon

I miss PCXL soooooo much.

They would have seen what genius Operation Flashpoint is.

Whoever decided to keep PC Gamer and drop PCXL made one of the stupidest mistakes in print media history. PCXL was like the Maxim of video games. Now we're stuck with the Better Homes and Gardens of video game journalism, PC Gamer. Bleh.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (762WorldOrder @ Feb. 08 2002,22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I miss PCXL soooooo much.

They would have seen what genius Operation Flashpoint is.  

Whoever decided to keep PC Gamer and drop PCXL made one of the stupidest mistakes in print media history.  PCXL was like the Maxim of video games.  Now we're stuck with the Better Homes and Gardens of video game journalism, PC Gamer.  Bleh.<span id='postcolor'>

sad.gif so pc XL no longer exists sad.gif i only got about 3 issues but still it was my favorite american games mag, not only being very funny and non serious feature packed, but the games reviews were great, plus there was no problem with printing pictures of attractive women.

PC XL sucked and bad. Almost as bad as Incite. Well not really because it's hard to make a games magazine worse than Incite.

Ghost Recon MP is fun.

Ghost Recon is fun.

If you play GR first, then play OPF: Then OPF will feel like a real arcade-style game. With cheap controls, and over-bright graphics.

If you play OPF first, then GR will feel restrictive. Period.

I used to think GR sucked. But then I stopped playing OPF for a few weeks, and GR seemed AMAZING. And OPF seemed cheap.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ghost Recon MP is fun.

Ghost Recon is fun.

If you play GR first, then play OPF:  Then OPF will feel like a real arcade-style game.  With cheap controls, and over-bright graphics.

If you play OPF first, then GR will feel restrictive.  Period.

I used to think GR sucked.  But then I stopped playing OPF for a few weeks, and GR seemed AMAZING.  And OPF seemed cheap.<span id='postcolor'>

I feel the total opposite to you FetishFool…I bought GR first and then OFP(about a week later)…now I only play GR MP once in a while rest of my playing time goes to OFP and Steel Beast. I feel GR is more of a arcade style game…with fast action compared to OFP which have more of a soldier sim feeling to it.

I still can`t see how anyone could stomach playing a combat type game, and not see a weapon in their hands in the 1st person view.

There are very few major complaints of mine that I have about FP. But I totally hated playing GR. Not since DF 2 has a combat sim put the player "out in the field" like Flashpoint has done. My personal gripes aside, FP is the only combat type game that does more right than wrong. {S} GR holds no candle to FP.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Feb. 07 2002,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">PC GAMER are just sluts

they got paid by Red Storm to do this smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, sorry I didn't pay anything smile.gif

I love Star Trek, and when I first say a Star Trek game, I thought, "Cool, must have..." Now, after having purchased three "Star Trek" games, I'll never do it again because, IMHO, they all sucked badly.

I also like Tom Clancy's novels... You think I would have spotted a pattern by now, though :-(

I play OFP, and I recently bought GR, had to go back to the store and spend $400 upgrading my video card because GR crashed on my old Voodoo II (yeah, yeah, I know, about time anyway).

Well, I think it's ok. It's got good graphics, and some of the AI commands are nice, like RECON with Hold Fire(?). The guys move in a nice synchronised way, and as soon as one in a group spots an enemy, the whole group ducks for cover and gets BEHIND and object -- they don't leave their asses sticking out in the breeze for the enemy to spot and shoot. And the guys WILL return fire in this mode if fired upon, or if the enemy gets REAL close. PERFECT for setting up an ambush on an enemy patrol.

But that's about where my praise ends. I played GR all the way through, thought, yeah that was ok, then put it on the shelf, went out and bought Red Hammer, and played OFP right through from the start again, and I'm now not quite done RH for the first time.

IMHO, the things that matter are the things OFP has... Atmosphere, immersion. I have some continuity comlaints about the game, but I swear I get so wrapped up sometimes, sneaking up on an objective, that I near shit myself when I suddenly get shot by an enemy who outflanked me.

OFP is FAR from perfect... I could write pages of complaints... but IMHO it is still more deserving of GOTY than GR. Problem is, so much of this is just opinion. I am cynical enough to believe magazines get bribed directly or indirectly to favour one game over another, but who's to proove this wasn't PC Gamers' real opinion?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (762WorldOrder @ Feb. 08 2002,16:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Screw scores, anyone who sits down and finishes both games, and then tries to extract any replay value out of them will see that OFP is far and away the better game.  People love the pretty trees in GR, but I could give a fuck what the trees look like when I'm in the middle of a war.  I'd much rather have an entire world to explore and complete freedom of movement than pretty trees, thanks.  

The difference between the two games is simple.  

Ghost Recon is a game.

Operation Flashpoint is an experience.<span id='postcolor'>

Absolutely!!!

HEHE!!

The swedish PCGamer didnt bash OFP at all according to them is OFP a game in its own class, there are no game that could be compared with it because of the realism and the fredoom u have in this LOOOOOOVELY game.

tounge.gif

PC PowerPlay is the best games mag

they gave 94% to OFP and i'm pretty sure they'll give it GOTY

UK PCG aren't too bad, when compared to the rest of the crap thats available. PCZone (UK) are okay, but nothing special as the writing is poor and unlike PCGUK's usually quite accurate reviews, PCZone's are more often far from accurate or dead on. X:BTF - 95%confused.gif what the hell were they smoking - Elite III 0wned its ass - PCG's 39% review was nearer the mark!

Also, PCG likes style and depth (as seen in their obsession with Deus Ex) whereas PCZ likes fragfests (as seen in their constant Q3 vs UT stuff.)

I actually enjoyed OFP with the save-crashout bug. Which the only bug to have ever affected me. Final mission was a bitch with it though, until it got fixed. Never had a problem with redoing "after montigniac" - except for at one point the save-crashout bug extended to mission wins :|

I just got the new PCGAMER issue in the mail today.

After reading through it, I have decided that it will be my last.

really Sh3ll_Sh0ck2? That bad? oh dear. My subscription should come in the next few days.

Anything good in it?

39% score for X:BTF shows that the guys who reviewed it were total morons.

PC GAMER gave MMORPG of the year to Anarchy Online. That's pretty much dumbest thing i heard thsi year

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sh3ll_Sh0ck2 @ Feb. 12 2002,23:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just got the new PCGAMER issue in the mail today.

After reading through it, I have decided that it will be my last.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, in the latest issue (i have to wait till i can get it from my dads work sad.gif ) is dod 2.0 on the discs?

I've always thought that the PC Gamer guys are idiots. BTW I have the first ever issue of (UK) PC Gamer you should be jealous tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskie @ Feb. 13 2002,20:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just got the new PCGAMER issue in the mail today.

After reading through it, I have decided that it will be my last.<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, in the latest issue (i have to wait till i can get it from my dads work sad.gif ) is dod 2.0 on the discs?<span id='postcolor'>

you know, I've never worked out what "BUMP" actually means, but I presume it means "hear hear", or "I agree" or something like that.

Please tell me if Im wrong.

but....

BUMP

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jamesia @ Feb. 13 2002,22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just got the new PCGAMER issue in the mail today.

Hey, in the latest issue (i have to wait till i can get it from my dads work sad.gif ) is dod 2.0 on the discs?<span id='postcolor'>

you know, I've never worked out what "BUMP" actually means, but I presume it means "hear hear", or "I agree" or something like that.

Please tell me if Im wrong.

but....

BUMP<span id='postcolor'>

I was asking a serious question for a friend of mine who hasn't got the speed to download 2.0 very fast, so it'd be convienient if he got it on pcg coverdisks instead...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Feb. 12 2002,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">39% score for X:BTF shows that the guys who reviewed it were total morons.

PC GAMER gave MMORPG of the year to Anarchy Online. That's pretty much dumbest thing i heard thsi year<span id='postcolor'>

39% was harsh of them, but in comparison to Elite III (which scored highly despite its numerous bugs) the game was nothing, despite being able to get the power of a 350mhz/64mb ram reccomended spec, rather than 486 66mhz/8mb ram - no features (no planet landings, no military missions, no civilian missions, only one ship). It should have got 60%, not 95% (or 39%)

'round here there isn't much better. PCZone are a touch better or far worse - usually both in the same issue. Theres only so much respect you can give for people who put Severance in the same category as The Longest Journey (action/adventure - Adventure and any 3pp action, rather than adventure and action and adventure combos)

They're feature freaks a lot of the time, yes,

Anarchy Online? yeah, but isn't that PCGUS?

i told pcgamer about this thread and the simply said

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think that you are referring to the us version of pc gamer<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskie @ Feb. 07 2002,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I just picked up the new PC Gamer and they voted GR game of the year while at the sametime slagging OFP at every opertunity. Now when you read their comments they give there own valid opinnions on why: Found it more emersive (sound evironment) and liked the multiplayer better.

Now discuss

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

This may be a little late in the discussion, but is this the US pc gamer?

if it is then its thoroughly understandable since they make the most boring, tedious and generally rubbish pc gaming magazine in america. the best one being that pc accelerator one, that one is class, almost better than UK pc gamer (although i haven't seen it in any px bookshop for a few years now, is it still being made?)<span id='postcolor'>

Yes over here in Norway we have the British ones.

I have never let an review control me.

For me Guns and vehicles control how good game it is even if you died very fast.

Incite Pc Games told me that OPF was under development and since that day until release, I was very exited saw action games and thought always that OPF would be better.

And how damn right i were Tons of guns to play with vehicles helo's, man this was what i had been waiting for and it was worth it.

If we take all games that came out in 2000 and 2001 OPF is a clear winner, even over Black and White.

So Ghost Recon go to bed!!! You don't belong here.

Opf winnes in every catagory.

Finally i learned that storming like in Delta Force didn't work very well.

SO i developed new tactics had to play OPF from scratch and i sure liked it and i will be playing it every day now.

As long as there are new and fresh addons for guns and vehicles.