Sign in to follow this  
Callsign

The cheapest alternative to TrackIR!

Lol, some fairly ingenious ideas out there!

@Col. Faulkner - I meant "normally" as in moving my head about in a life like manner, rather than using the number pad keys to rigidly look everywhere.

@Balschoiw - I cant see myself testing heels out at any point in my life to be honest, but you could do it for me and tell the community how you got on wink_o.gif.

Im liking the second mouse idea to be honest, thats something i might test out until the third arm evolves!

bootneckofficer

I like the mouse/foot idea!!!

If it works in ArmA with 2 mouses without alt (wich I doubt) It would be even better as Track IR biggrin_o.gif

Damn that I havent thought of this, your foot are perfect for mousing lol, as a matter of fact I wrote this post wich my mouse under my feet and clicking the forums rofl.gif

I might give the webcam thingy a go to, but I guess you need verry good contrast for that, and I dont really like pointing a bright lamp in my face, but ill see.

BTW thx for the laughs

biggrin_o.gif

I went to Lithuania and purchased a 24 Year old Male midget,

I keep him under my desk and when I get shot he punches me in the testicles.

though with 1.05 patch when alot is going on sometimes I lose audio and he doesent punch, so I kick him in the chest, which forces a reboot (he gets pissed and unplugs my PC)

Haha some really cool ideas in this thread.. very funny i might just try some out firefoxlover.gif

How exactly do you have the webcam rigged up? Could you post a pic?

Thanks

Mandrake

I just have the webcam on top of my monitor pointing at my face. I use a baseball cap with a small LED light on it to improve the tracking but it also works perfectly well with a piece of white paper on the hat as long as the lighting and contrast is adjusted.

I just tried the webcam proggie without the flashlight option, and it works quite well (in OFP) I set the prog to activate when I press ALT, so OFP activates the prog and head movement at the same time. For flying its really great, for INF its a bit too inaccurate.

Make sure you set your webcam to use allways the highest FPS (on my cam that means exposure to zero) That way it reacts smoother.

Also make sure your head is bright compared to your backround.

Gotta try the light option some time. wink_o.gif

A PS/2 mouse plugged in will hapilly co-exsist with a wireless optical mouse. Your rotting feet will be in heaven caressing your 2nd mouse.

10/10 on the "I look a complete Gimp" scale though.

omg thanks for this idea!!!1111

seriously I have a joystick which means I dont need the mouse for flying so the mouse goes under the control of my foot. (double tab left ALT to enable free-look) and now i control my head with my foot and the plane with the joystick BRILLIANT!!

For aircraft, using a mouse in the left hand and a joystick in the right works well with a bit of practice. For a right-handed person, doing this can improve your left hand co-ordination in general.

If you add weights to your mouse, over time, it improve your arm wrestling skills too.

I'd recommend Freelook as a cheap alternative to TrackIR.

With Freelook you can use your webcam to detect your head movements and it will move the mouse. You can set a key to toggle it on / off, so it will only be activated when needed. All you need is to cut a round shape from white paper and stick it on a cap, and Freelook will detect it and convert the movement to mouse movements.

I've been using it a lot in IL-2 and works perfectly.

It's completely free.

Or you could just use the numpad buttons to move your characters head around while ingame icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a zboard, it stole my num pad, the broom may do till trackir arrives.

I have a zboard (wow or BF2 templates, wow one has guild chat and inspect buttosn were the numpad should be), it stole my num pad, the broom may do till trackir arrives.

I'd recommend Freelook as a cheap alternative to TrackIR.

With Freelook you can use your webcam to detect your head movements and it will move the mouse. You can set a key to toggle it on / off, so it will only be activated when needed. All you need is to cut a round shape from white paper and stick it on a cap, and Freelook will detect it and convert the movement to mouse movements.

I've been using it a lot in IL-2 and works perfectly.

It's completely free.

OK, I thought the brrom looked daft, but this is basically put a post-it note on your head right?

I'm sorry track Ir wins for the hand's free web browsing...

Although is repetative neck injury and issue?

;} smile_o.gif

Can you operate the mouse with high heels also ?

You know, I´m always playing Arma with high heels on

and I don´t want to loose that feature.

Can you pls test ?  biggrin_o.gif

Is there a patch for it already ?

Will it work on my C 64 ?

Good one !  biggrin_o.gif

Please please please say you are a female. biggrin_o.gif

OK,  I thought the brrom looked daft,  but this is basically put a post-it note on your head right?

TrackIR is no different, whether it be a reflective dot stuck on your forehead, Vectorclip attached to a baseball cap or a wired 'TrackClip Pro' it's still necessary to put something silly on your head.

But isn't that what geeky head tracking is all about? biggrin_o.gif

OK, I thought the brrom looked daft, but this is basically put a post-it note on your head right?

TrackIR is no different, whether it be a reflective dot stuck on your forehead, Vectorclip attached to a baseball cap or a wired 'TrackClip Pro' it's still necessary to put something silly on your head.

But isn't that what geeky head tracking is all about? biggrin_o.gif

No IR lights on your VIOP headset is "Geek Chic",

The Wii remote is regarded as the sexiest techo toys in years by most of the population. Track IR is Adults version wink_o.gif

A "post it note" isn't, unless drunk at a party and it has a celebrities name on and your trying to impress someone with large breasts with your logical questions as to who you are!