Sign in to follow this  
SeriaL_KilleR

Graphical Issue with Ground Texture

Hello Folks,

I'm not sure, but i think i have a slightly problem with the ground textures in Armed Assault. There is a zone around the character, where the texture is perfectly clear, but a few steps in front of him there's a line where the texture begins to blur.

I don't think it has something to do with the antisoptropic filter, because with changing this option, the distance, where road textures for example begin to blur, raises.

But not this zone around the character...it seems to be static, no matter what AF Option i use...and of course, it moves with my character, which looks really shitty sad_o.gif

heres a screenshot of it...hard to see without motion but i marked it red !

[/img]http://www.dvdjunkies.de/pics/fehler.jpg[/img]

My System:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

Nvida Geforce 6800GT 256MB

1024 MB Ram

Win XP SP2

Hope somebody can help me with this issue...

yep i have this too,

no matter what AF value i use (even tried forced via drivers) and HQ on/off (ATI X1xxx) ...

IMHO it seems like AF is locked at 4x-8x distance (visible in other games) ...

This isnt a problem with ArmA, its is universal across all 3d game engines.

The "zone" is caused by the Anisotropic filtering done by your graphics card, the higher your settings, the further away this zone appears.

This isnt a problem with ArmA, its is universal across all 3d game engines.

The "zone" is caused by the Anisotropic filtering done by your graphics card, the higher your settings, the further away this zone appears.

i agree with you, and yes, it does...at least with the road textures for example...the white markings appear sharper in the distance the higher you set the AF Settings...but it doesn't affect this zone around the character !

I play with the highest AF setting, no matter where i set this (game or graphics card control panel) and it still looks like this.

SeriaL_KilleR please respect the forum rules and keep images under a 100k.

I added this article to the Biki last night which deals with this.

I'm not sure if this would work... but try increasing this figure in your playername.cfg in your My Documents:

terrainGrid=12.500000;

i havent tested this but give it a try =)

I'm not sure if this would work... but try increasing this figure in your playername.cfg in your My Documents:

terrainGrid=12.500000;

i havent tested this but give it a try =)

This simply increases the density of the terrain mesh - i.e. you get more lumps and bumps on the ground.

It wont help this issue, and will cause a massive performance hit.

I cant find those options about trilinear etc in my catalyst menu? I have 7.1 and can't seem to see them anywhere?

I took that info from another thread. I believe the person said you could access it through the ati tools. If you find something more descriptive then let me know or update the wiki. biggrin_o.gif

yeah, im looking at the ATI catalyst control centre (I assume thats what he meant) and there's nothing using that wording...

IIRC if you force AA/AF in your driver settings ArmA ignores all AA/AF settings and turns them off.

If you have an NVIDIA card, disable 'anisotropic mip filter optimization' from the driver settings.

If you have ATI, try turning off the trilinear mipmapping but leave the trilinear optimization enabled in driver settings.

I'm not sure if this will fix it but it fixed some other people with similar problems.

EDIT : Sorry, just realized someone else has already posted this, ignore me. smile_o.gif

thanks for the help !

It works fine for me !

Only while flying i still see this "zone" but that doesn't bother me too much smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you have an ATI video adapter, force the trilinear mipmapping but leave the trilinear optimization enabled because image degrade is almost null but performance take a big drop)

d3dbasicpz0.jpgd3dadvancedhn8.jpg

erm may i ask which of these settings equals " trilinear mipmapping" (it's same with ATI Control Panel and ATI Catalyst Control Center)

Aka lowering "MipMap Detail Level" from High to Normal

or You mean Anisotropic Filtering to be set to "Quality" instead "Quality with Trilinear"

(which can't be done when using "application preference" as it always resets to QwT) ?

thanks in advance for explaining what are the right options ? smile_o.gif

Just to clarify, to fix this issue you have to force Trillinear filtering along with Anistropic Filtering.

For ATi, you can only do this by forcing AF from ATi Tray Tools (seen in pic above), and choosing the "quality with trillinear" option. Enable that, and choose amount of AF (eg 4x or 8x) you want to apply. Note that you should turn off AF ingame when forcing from ATT.

Best method (i use) is to create a profile with those settings and then set it to load for arma.exe only (you can do this in ATT - using the game profiles option). This way you dont have to force these settings for ALL games.

that approx fits what i was thinking about , thx smile_o.gif

There have already been solutions given, but here's what I noticed.

In the nVidia control panel is a slider for "image settings" that can be changed between performance and quality. Sliding it toward performance gave a few extra fps, but created that effect you were complaining about.

link to an image of the setting