Sign in to follow this  
Brigand

Poor Framerate?

I have just purchased ARMA after loving Operation Flashpoint for years. However, I am really struggling to get it working happily and just wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problems.

Basically I have had to turn everything off, set the res to 800*600 and everything else down to very low, for the game to be even remotely playable, and even then performance isn't great. Anything higher than this and it drops to a hideous rate and churns.

Am I really in such desperate need of upgrading my pc to get this game working? Or is it Vista; what kind of performance are people getting on a similar spec rig in XP?

Spec is:

AMD 64 3500+

1GB DDR RAM

Asus Mobo

Asus Geforce 6800 GT Graphics (latest Nvidia 7.15.109746 drivers)

Onboard Realtek '97 Sound

Vista (32bit) Ultimate edition

ARMA UK release 1.0

(Also... whoever did the localisation work for the UK should be shot; all that time to release the 'enhanced' UK version surely someone would have been to get an English speaker to translate the text?... Those pigeon english mission briefings huh.gif )

I've got nearly equal PC:

A64 2300MHz, X850XT, 1G RAM, SBLive. WinXPSP2.

Having 20-60FPS at 1024x768.

Similar spec to me and im having no problems i.e. similar performance to Maximus_G. It wasn't initally though, mainly because my drivers were all over the place. Do a bit of searching around - there are plenty of threads describing ways to optimise your pc for ArmA.

Try the latest drivers and the latest DirectX update. Boosted my FPS considerably when I wasn't satisfied with my FPS in the demo wink_o.gif

Hello i have terrible Frame Rate with the Demo. I have set everything to lowest and disabled Vis 500 and run it at 800 600 via 32. Still Very bad mouse lag. Frame rates go from 26 open spaces to 8 when standing next 2 a tree or couching near a bush. All my other games work like Medieval 2 Total war and Guild Wars At very high Frames rates.

Demo Version 1.3.0.5109

Win Xp SP2

P4-3.2e

Ram 1gb pc 3200 @ 200

FX 5700 Ultra Latest Drivers Installed (93.71)

2mb Cable Connection

Latest version of Direct x Installed.

Latest OG Drivers Installed

Latest Sound Drivers Installed

VS OFF

Frames to render ahead 0

AA AF OFF

Sorry i have no Fear Profile. I use Global System performance Quality.

If needs be i'll upgrade me G card. to an AGP 6800 but would that really make any difference. Not buying new system just for 1 game.

Mouselag is fixable by downloading coolbits (google..), setting 'render frames ahead' to 0, if it still doesnt work force vsync of too.

About your FPS problems: Well, there is no real fix, a FX5700 (or ay FX5xxx for that matter) just isnt fast enough for ArmA. (altough your settings are extremely low, ive seen a FX5200 run better then that)

My observations of this game is that it is incredibly cpu intensive. Even running all quality settings at low, with high end gear, will result in fps that range from 30-85 fps, averaging 40-50 fps. The trick is to try to get the game to run at constant frames and not to dip into the <20's fps.

Do a search of this forum section for the maxmem tweak. Also since you have a nVidia vid card, try using a predefined profile rather than creating your own. Someone on this forum suggested using the fear.exe profile. To do this, you rename the arma.exe file to fear.exe as well as the quick launch target line. What I found is that the ingame shadowing seem to be handled more efficiently. I got frames that ranged from 28-50, avcerage 38 fps. It was very playable and I had no lag within the shadow areas.

Try that and also try turning off V-synch. Also turn off anti-aliasing. Your card cannot handle AA and HDR lighting. AA gives the game a huge performance hit.

Hope this helps you out. Once one can get the game to run smoothly and fluidly, the game is pretty good.

Quote[/b] ]How do i check my framerate ?

Fraps or if you have an Asus mobo,install Asus probe from the cd it monitors your temps fps and stuff , pretty handy tool .

Cregan you have an FX5700 graphics card and your supprised your rates are low?huh.gif? Really are you really supprised??? dude please throw that ancient piece of crap into the bin and get something of a more substantial nature.

I had a 6800 Nvidia for the demo but soon realised that it would not do so the best AGP card i could was the x1950pro 512mb for 150 pounds UK and now the game runs fantastic.

xp2800+ CPU and 1Gb of Crucial RAM here so go get yourself a new vid card mate. Planning to upgrade mobo, cpu and ram in the VERY near future

Also i have noticed alot of you are trying to decrease your setting to such a low rate to get good fps. Going low is an option for some older graphics cards but newer graphics cards to work for their money, crank some of those settings up so your card is doing some work. view distance not set to over 2500 and no AA or Shadows, and nothing over normal and you should be good to go.

Run Tune Up 2007 on your computer, and adaware SE Plus, Spybot search and destroy and then run a defrag and you will blistering around in ArmA in no time smile_o.gif

whistle.gifyay.gifyay.gif

The real problem is that this game is crappy, engine not optimized. Looks like alpha version...

I can't play either on my Core2 Duo 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, GF GO 7600 512VRAM.

Everything is hanging and lagging. This is weird, unfinished game...

I guess my card is old i never thought this game would be so demanding tho. I might buy the x1950pro if it's any good or I do perfer Nvidia could anyone suggest a good Nvidia Card AGP i could buy 100-200 range.

hi i have an 8800gtx, 2gb ram, evga 680i motherboard and a core2duo e6600 and this game is almost unplayable. i should be able to max everything out but when i do i get fps of about 10 when i am near trees or buildings, even in default mode it is laggy and fps is about 30 but goes into the 20's alot. is this a problem with the 8800 cards or is it just the game. will a patch be able to sort this?

I have the same thing. 2x8800GTX (not running SLI though as that kills the framerate), EVGA 680i Motherboard, Core 2 Duo 6800 @ 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP and no matter what graphics mode I set it to, I get the same performance, 20-30 FPS. I'm quite annoyed, I hope 1.05 sorts it out.

Seeing as the FPS don't change on any graphics mode, this must mean that it is either processor or hard drive limited. The processor is pretty good so it shouldn't be a problem, leaving the Hard drives. I have a RAID 0 array so it should also be pretty quick. I'm completely confused as to why performance is so bad.

hi i have an 8800gtx, 2gb ram, evga 680i motherboard and a core2duo e6600 and this game is almost unplayable. i should be able to max everything out but when i do i get fps of about 10 when i am near trees or buildings, even in default mode it is laggy and fps is about 30 but goes into the 20's alot. is this a problem with the 8800 cards or is it just the game. will a patch be able to sort this?

That's what I'm talking about man smile_o.gif

Same here, was lucky enough to be able to buy a new rig the other week mainly for work as I'm a 3D graphic artist:

System (no overclocking):

E6700 Dual Core Processor(2.67GHz,4MB Cache)

640MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

ASUS P5N32-E SLI nForce 680i SLI Mobo

2048MB DDR2 900MHz OCZ Memory

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound card

TrackIR 3 Pro with 6DOF expansion

Demo:

ran really well at 1680x1050 all settings Very high except AA and Antriscopic Filtering at normal.

I knocked down the monitor res a bit to make it silky smooth = very happy

I bought the retail Uk version off the back of my demo experience and cant get above 20-40 fps running at 1024x768 settings on high, can obviously get higher FPS if i drop quality more but the demo worked really well = mmm

So whats been changed?

System is only 1 week old so nice fresh install all drivers upto date, no DD fragmentation, something weird going on.