Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

Marek's Comment on Tools...

Well i understand and agree with your statements Rock.

And for those that didn't, here's a packet of crayons for you to play with.

One of the reasons I can think of is that BIS wants to sell an ArmA expansion with new models and other stuff before they hand out the tools for the community to produce their own ones.

As long as we don´t know the BIS reasoning behind this we´ll be once more hanging in the air.

I´m no modeller, but I know that Arma is/was actively advertised with a great community of modders and user-made content. It´s funny that especially those guys who really kept up OFP over the last years and achieved things that BIS were sceptical about are now the last to be supported.

This interface between BIS and the modders in general isn´t really working. Else there would be more in Arma that is already working in OFP with the help of modders.

I´m not saying release this or that tools, but sorry guys at BIS, why do we have to repeat the drama of OFP all over ? huh.gif

Releasing those tools makes sense from the perspectve that they are the easiest to make and they prolly don't take time from anything else away anyway.

Mightaswell have a full range of BIS tools for every little, tiny, iddy-biddy, wee thing.

Quote[/b] ]Afterwards we will have more time to work on tools.

The bigger tools prolly need more dedication then they have time for right now, they can't just start nibbling away at O2 Lite, causes too much confusion.

So no more reason to be completely dumbfounded...

Anyways, link me to some youtube vids of fully funcitioning addons you were talking about earlier.

What ever their reasoning, BIS will do it their way. All that we achieve by complaining is pissing BIS off, and the moderators who have to lock every "I want the tools now!" threads. People need to just relax and wait it out. Many things can still be achieved using the tools we currently have available, we just need some trial and error efforts to guess selection names.

Weapons are no problem. Vehicles have been done (well, they're in the works anyway by the DDAM team (Frandsen et al). The only thing we struggle on are custom units, which we will need to the tools for, but there are so many re-textures out there to keep us going for these next few months surely?

Don't get me wrong, if BIS turned around and said, "OK, here is Oxygen2!" I'm not gonna turn around to them and say "No thanks, we don't want it", but the fact is, BIS have a plan about the release of said tools, and I imagine they'll stick to it.

@Martinovic: Its not released yet, but it shows a custom weapon model. Check out the DDAM thread for progress on custom vehicles.

CUSTOM WEAPON VIDEO (RIGHT-CLICK > SAVE TARGET AS)

Guest RKSL-Rock
...BIS have a plan about the release of said tools, and I imagine they'll stick to it.

Yeah but wouldn’t you like to know what it is?  tounge2.gif

EDIT2 - Copy and pasted an edit on another forum DOH!

"I want the tools now!" threads.

but this isn't a 'I want the tools now thread'... it's questioning the logic of releasing tools that in their context require O2 to be of any use... they're nice tools, sure, but what am I going to binarize?

It's like buying petrol but you don't own a car. Sure, the petrol will come in useful some day, but you could have just bought it then.

or at least thats how I see the issue trying to be discussed here.

Guest RKSL-Rock
…As long as we don´t know the BIS reasoning behind this we´ll be once more hanging in the air.

That’s part of the reason I posted this thread in the first place.  

… It´s funny that especially those guys who really kept up OFP over the last years and achieved things that BIS were sceptical about are now the last to be supported.

This interface between BIS and the modders in general isn´t really working. Else there would be more in Arma that is already working in OFP with the help of modders.

I´m not saying release this or that tools, but sorry guys at BIS, why do we have to repeat the drama of OFP all over ?  huh.gif

Considering that the community has supported BIS throughout the last 5 years I am surprised that they haven’t been more forthcoming about their plans to support “usâ€.  So far we’ve only got snippets via interviews and short vague statements. I can understand why there is going to be a delay in the tools. Believe me, I can imagine the pressure BIS is under to get a solid working game out to the community; a quick look in the troubleshooting thread is enough to tell you that they have a lot of work ahead of them.  But some proper information wouldn’t take too much time to put together and let us know what’s happening.

Well I'm happy to wait for the new version, it'll give me time to finish the solo game and have some multi-player fun for a bit before restarting addon's.

DragoFire