Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Koh Pulau, the concept (island, addons, mission)

This project is for ArmA.

One island, a few addons and a special mission type is what you can expect sometime in 2008-2009.

Screenshots

Latest two screenshots are shown here.

<a href="http://granq.se/content/blogcategory/17/88/" target="_blank">For more screenshots check the projects homepage

</a>

a_s5_small.jpg

Drug plant

a_s6_small.jpg

Alouette II Medevac

In short

1 island

1 mod

2 types of missions.

x addons.

Current stage

Mission is working, MP testing left (waiting for my copy to arrive).

Some addons have been started.

Mod, no start and no need for it either.

A Mod ?

I always done addons because you can do almost anything you need, however with this project that is mostly done for me and to play with my friends I wish to have as much creative control as possible. Maybe change the music, add a new interface and colors. Sofar nothing special planned. First the mission, then the addons last the mod.

In detail

Based on my experience when I travelled around southeast asia I wished to create an OFP/ArmA world based on that. With a history based on Lao mixed with culture from south of thailand and malaysia I came up with Koh Pulau, the island itself is based on Koh Lanta with the basic road network, town location while some things will be added for gameplay and story such as the soviet funded airport.

Two missions will be the backbone for this mod, with the goal of creating a fair game with two diffrent groups. One equipt with the latest and one rebel group.

Inspiration comes from my first MP mission for OFP, "snatch" that was played alot in the early days with the #ofpec community and also inspiration is the CR-Cti.

Vehicles will use a system that already work and isnt complicated yet allow for alot of dynamics.

More on that later on.

Vehicle system

Both side got vehicle credits, this can be diffrent for each side but lets say it start with 20.

The prices for vehicles are:

Truck 2 credits

Landrover 5 credits

MH 6 10 credits

UH60 15 credits

So you have the option to buy either two landrovers and one MH 6 or maybe on UH60 and 2 trucks.

When a vehicle is destroyed the team get its credits back.

Some ideas that can be played around.

How much credits

When a vehicle is destroyed only get half the credits back.

If your team destroy a vehicle, earn credits (the other half?)

Bonus credits for mini missions.

Adding more credits after 15, 30 and 60 mins play so the conflict can escalate.

A new mission against the evil drug lords and Pirates, will be nice an armed Sampang or the armed viet boat made by Philcomando in their vietnam pack.

I could be nice too and armored truck with a MG.

waiting news about your project, because it's funny (and I'm waiting your alouette II).

Thanks.

Don't forget them shadows! smile_o.gif

dont worry, they all have shadows, but the screen was taken so shadow is "behind" them. =)

EDIT: stupid making more posts so i just update.

First, there was a error with the shadow, so you was right =)

good news are that i fixed it. FN FAL, chopper and jeep now all have working shadows. FN FAL complete and so is the jeep (got the logo now).

Also changed the colors on the chopper alittle, since it is civillian i wanted it to be more colorful.

ingame.jpg

and PEPE, you may do such mission, but mine will be more "modern", like south america, not like vietnam.. but sure the drugpeople use every way possible to get their stuff out.

Next on will be fixing the geolod on alouette and then i guess maybe do some mission critical stuff, like the backpack for drugs and stuff so i can start working on the mission.

Still waiting for tonner to do the .wrp for me so i can start building up the towns, road networks.

Also changed the colors on the chopper alittle, since it is civillian i wanted it to be more colorful.

Please NO crazy_o.gif

That color style looks very awful... sorry

Please NO crazy_o.gif

That color style looks very awful... sorry

totaly agree with you, asked some other people they said it was OK =)

problem is to find someone to make textures look good, right now i am working on the mission alittle.

Apart from the textures, good work so far thumbs-up.gif Interesting reading about your island too smile_o.gif

we start with the most importat. Tonner made the terrian for me, and what great job he made.

Check this out ladies and gents.

wrpDone.jpg

If you never worked with WRP tool i can tell you this, when you zoom in it shows greater detail, anyway, he made a exact copy of Koh Pulau, better then the orginal map i made... closer to the "orginal" (yeah i do like bis and base my island on real one..)

Also the scale will be intact, this means the island will be about double the seize of nogova from north to south but as you can see its not so wide, but trust me it will be big enough to get lost.

And as you can see it wont be a so good island for cti and stuff since you kinda stuck on the coast all the time, well this is why i want to do my drug mission.. and i started today.

GUI:

ingame_mission.jpg

The version i working on now is a respawn version without money, you can buy unlimited of ah1 choppers if that makes your day, but the team that thinks they will win with flying around in choppers while the enemy is running around in the jungle has to think again.

and they running around with this..

backpack.jpg

it was actually a quick fix made from the bis box from flashpoint, but i think it works good enough to be used so i might keep it.

Anyway, alot progress today and soon weekend (not that it matters to me since i am unemployed smile_o.gif

WOW

This looks great. thumbs-up.gif

Actually having a lot of coastline and sea would make for good use of the growing amount of naval assets we're getting for OFP recently which would be cool to use in a cti smile_o.gif

Actually having a lot of coastline and sea would make for good use of the growing amount of naval assets we're getting for OFP recently which would be cool to use in a cti smile_o.gif

okey..little "sidenote" then, but would be cool have one of two "towns" in the water then, so you need to control the "sealines".. otherwise it wouldnt be much people buying boats and fighting.. ofcourse with armed assault around the corner i bet we soon have big boats with artillery and decks you can walk around on.. (the lst maybe updated?)

on topic i started on the runway today, since Koh Pulau uses the old soviet types of runways (concrate blocks) i just had to make my own =)

Biggest diffrence from alot of runways from bis and other addon makers is that they make it as land texture, resulting in you can only you use it as the first person thought (north-south, east-west), and often with grass, desert on them or something else making it impossible to "reuse" a runway other then 2-3 islands.

I made it as roads, so you can use my runway going NW-SE or N-S, whatever you want. No problem reusing it on a winter or desert map either.

runway.jpg

As you can see you should land with bigger planes then the Saab 105 =)

anyway, it works good but there is "glitches" between the blocks, even if i think they overlap in wrptool.. gonna look into it but must say i think its good enough.

I really like your runway textures. They do really look 'Soviet' thumbs-up.gif

I think your tyre marks are too close to the threshold though and not long enough

Look how long and pronounced the tyre marks are here, for example

112250.jpg

damnit Q thats a nice runway.....

why o why havnt you made a smaller swedish looking version too?

oh well.. really nice anyway smile_o.gif

another small update.

I had some problems with the "mission" design, but I think i am happy now.

Tomorrow i will fix a minor stuff used in the mission (like the backpack to carry drugs) and the cocaine field (or some sort of drugfield, need to do a proper one)..

anyway, when i fixed this small stuff I am thinking of releasing the addon (jeep,backpack, field, fn fal, not alouette and the island because they just suck) together on the mission on Nogova.

Dont except people to play too much but if you like LRRP mixed with cti stuff, then this could be the mission for you.

Anyway, thats tomorrow, clock is 04.00 am here and i am off to bed..

drugwars.jpg

West needs to find and stop the drugproduction, drugs are produced somewhere on map (that the leader on the east team selects) and sold in Vidlakov, Petrovice, Davle or Modrava.

Mission and addon in this file:

KP Demo.zip (1 mb)

I've belive very nice addon, (I love your light mortar), but I have problems with the fal, I can't shot any bullet sad_o.gif .

Waiting the aloutte soon.

Animo smile_o.gif

I've belive very nice addon, (I love your light mortar), but I have problems with the fal, I can't shot any bullet sad_o.gif .

Waiting the aloutte soon.

Animo smile_o.gif

oh my misstake, it links to SFP 4 stuff.

Since i am working on SFP i uses alot defines from that at start, like the sights, ammo and such. For this standalone release i had to change and missed the ammo for the FNFAL.. will fix.

But this release wasnt really to try the addon, even if it its nice to hear you like it, but to try the included mission =)

progress update.

Played the mission last night on MP server and got some ideas on how to improve it and so on.. but everyone said it was fun and I had a good time so the concept seems to work.

Also redid the colors on the chopper.. and added the KP 003 number. In armed assault i think maybe settextureGlobal will work (like in VBS) then i will make support for random numbers.

alouetteWhite.jpg

EDIT.

Made some fixes on the model, removed something from the front, dont know what it was (swedish army choppers had but like no others), added postionslights and removed the doors.

Also added a commandbar picture and fix the geolod, so truth is i consider this one 100% even if i know the textures isnt top notch. Anyway time for a picture.

alouetteWhiteNoDoors.jpg

solarenergy.jpg

readers of the background story maybe remeber i said Koh Pulau had solarenergy, and this is the plant..

damn... and i that was thinking about what happened to this project earlier today....

really wanted the island sad_o.gif

got a one way ticket out from the country thats why.

reaaly wanted to make this island, addons, mission.. mission was nice.

well...

good luck with your new life then...

i guess youre moving to Thailand?

i hope you will try to stay connected to the OFP community in some way, even if i understand it wont be nearly as much as before...

Laptops and WLan ftw

Don't leave us GranQ, this concept looks awsome!

sad_o.gif