Sign in to follow this  
UpRight

"Weight"

I just wanted to know...

What determines the "weight" of vehicles in OFP? Some tanks can push other tanks because they are heavier. But where is this "value" defined? I havent found anything inside config.cpp files. So is it defined inside P3D models?

how heavy is a model, is defined from the geometry LOD, according to the MASS you'll give.

example a jeep has less mas than a Tank, etc.

suppose you have your model.

go to the geometry lOD, select your model, and you'll see at the bottom, that the MASS option is now enable. put a value, there.

according to your value you'll see that some grey squares appear at the model corners.

there is max value that you can put, but i don't remember it.....

i suggest to study "BIS sample models, and take an idea of the values you can put.

In addition, and in a case of a helicopter (and even for the planes), more than config values the mass is a very important setting that can make a difference between an "impossible to turn" flying brick and a nervous and agile chopper/fighter if not really carefully tested.

And for the AI in planes and helicopters, the mass will make a difference too, because with a "flying brick" the AI is often not able to follow waypoints as it is not able to turn as quickly as the player can.

And as it will always miss some waypoints, it will then fly in circle around them indefinitively.

And as it will always miss some waypoints, it will then fly in circle around them indefinitively.

that happened with a boat I made, even if it was "on top" the waypoint..

But in that case, if the boat is effectively on top of its waypoint and can't actually reach it , it may not be related to the weight.

It sounds more like the problem that plagued the first release of the RHS T80 pack in which the tanks were unable to reach their waypoints, running in circle despite being on top of them.

I don't remember what was exactly the source of the problem, but something in a specific lod that was also used for suspension/gun recoil was preventing the correct contact between the vehicle and the waypoint, it was corrected in later release of the RHS T80..

Quote[/b] ]Quote (Sanctuary @ Feb. 02 2007,02:42)

that happened with a boat I made, even if it was "on top" the waypoint..

Check the value of precision in Config.cpp

Enlarge the value until vehicle navigates waypoint comfortabley.

Boats approx 50

Aircraft 50 - 200 etc