Sign in to follow this  
metalhead897

Will my specs be enough to play ArmA?

Mainboard : ASUS K8V Deluxe

RAM : 1 GB

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (2 GHZ)

GPU : RADEON 8500

I know this is a stupid question but, i'm really not up to speed on hardware anymore. All of my hardware is pretty much outdated (anywhere from 2 to 6 years).

So what should i upgrade?

The minimum requirements tell me i need a faster CPU and better GPU. I can't possibly afford that. I don't want to spend $800 to play a $50 game.

I guess what I am asking is will I be able to play Armed Assault with more than 15 FPS?

Your proc will run it, but like me your video will lag you at normal to high settings. I have a FX-5900 and the 64bit +3000, 1.5 ram. I have settings mostly normal to low.. and it plays. Over long periods.. video falls apart..but it's still playable. I'm satisfied for now. Have you tried the demo? That should help with your question.

FPS depends on alot of scenarios... some places I see 40+ some I see 10 or under.

Heck yeah. My old computer is the same, but with with a Geforce 6800GT, is nearly 3 years old and runs the game with no hiccups.

Comeone, $600 every three years for a new computer is nothing and they get cheaper every year. $600 to play a single $60 game is what most PS3 owners pay and compare the lifespan of a PS3 game to the lifespan of Flashpoint (and hopefully ArmA).

I just built 2 AMD 4200 dualcore computers with Geforce 7900's, 1gig of RAM, 200 gig HDDs and DVD burner for $600 (without OS) and it should live 3 years as a "fast" computer. This is a pretty cheap hobby at a cost of $200 a year.

--Ben

Heck yeah. My old computer is the same, but with with a Geforce 6800GT, is nearly 3 years old and runs the game with no hiccups.

Comeone, $600 every three years for a new computer is nothing and they get cheaper every year. $600 to play a single $60 game is what most PS3 owners pay and compare the lifespan of a PS3 game to the lifespan of Flashpoint (and hopefully ArmA).

I just built 2 AMD 4200 dualcore computers with Geforce 7900's, 1gig of RAM, 200 gig HDDs and DVD burner for $600 (without OS) and it should live 3 years as a "fast" computer. This is a pretty cheap hobby at a cost of $200 a year.

--Ben

Quote[/b] ] I just built 2 AMD 4200 dualcore computers with Geforce 7900's, 1gig of RAM, 200 gig HDDs and DVD burner for $600 (without OS) and it should live 3 years as a "fast" computer. This is a pretty cheap hobby at a cost of $200 a year.

--Ben

That cheap? really? damn....

You see, most of my time is spent as a musician or working, i can't keep up with this anymore.

I'm thinking about selling my rig on ebay for somewhere around $700 (or even more since i have nice sound/speakers)

Quote[/b] ] Comeone, $600 every three years for a new computer is nothing and they get cheaper every year. $600 to play a single $60 game is what most PS3 owners pay and compare the lifespan of a PS3 game to the lifespan of Flashpoint (and hopefully ArmA).

Yeah but its not like they have the patience to play something like Armed Assault. Its the same thing with the ipod craze and so forth. They always have to buy the new s***

Quote[/b] ]Comeone, $600 every three years for a new computer is nothing and they get cheaper every year. $600 to play a single $60 game is what most PS3 owners pay and compare the lifespan of a PS3 game to the lifespan of Flashpoint (and hopefully ArmA).

Have you ever thought that $600,- every three years might be (too) much money for some people? Especially if you want to buy other things. If you don't really have a job, or nice parents, whatever, $600 might be much for you.

As for me, I upgrade my PC in parts, I try to get the most for the money I have available at that moment.

- Viper

The minimum requirements tell me i need a faster CPU and better GPU. I can't possibly afford that. I don't want to spend $800 to play a $50 game.

Well, buy 16 games then?

No, but see it like this: Sure, 800 buckaroos its alot of money, but how long will that computer last?

Hmm, let's say 3 years? (Computers can last and do games good much longer, but the technology is going forward fast, so we'll say 3 years)

3 years = 36 months

800 bucks over 36 months = 22 bucks.

Not that much tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]No, but see it like this: Sure, 800 buckaroos its alot of money, but how long will that computer last?

Hmm, let's say 3 years? (Computers can last and do games good much longer, but the technology is going forward fast, so we'll say 3 years)

3 years = 36 months

800 bucks over 36 months = 22 bucks.

Not that much tounge2.gif

Exactly! $200 a year is less than $5 a week! I've never done anything, that cost money, as cheap as this.

Usually computer gamers aren't into fads and make more informed purchases. I got into computers from being in music and when you purchased a $700 sequencer, as a struggling musician, you better knew what you were buying.

There's nothing like a little self-education. I don't know anything about what to buy until about 2 weeks before I buy it then I learn as much as I can.

--Ben

Hi,

I've been playing ArmA demo on a 1.4 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM, Nvidia 6600 GT 128 MB VRAM graphics card on 4xAGP bus and the demo actually is playable. It really is about what you expect to get in terms of visual quality. I am satisfied with even lower graphics detail if I can play it somehow - I am not one of those who absolutely must have a new computer every two years. It's not a money issue here, I could fill the house with new computers but what is the point, do you really want to use your money into computers? I don't and hey I consider myself a computer freak of some kind. I am sure you have better uses for your money too. An old computer will, at least according to my experiences with the demo, be able to run ArmA if you accept low graphics quality. The loading times are not what I consider long.

Baddo.

I probably would have tried out the demo, but for some reason, it wont start up and the screen stays black. I had the same problem with Ghost Recon 3, and that was because I didn't meet a requirement of some kind.

I have searched, but can find it. What are the min and recomended spec for ArmA?

I have searched, but can find it.  What are the min and recomended spec for ArmA?

There you go min and rec Spec's

...I didn't think to look there.:rolleyes:

Cheers fella. Upgrade needed then.

What the heck are you guys talking about? Your comparing a 6800 to a radeon 8500? Do you know anything about computers, or just trying to mislead him.

Theres no way ARMA will even start with a 8500. Its not even on the minimum requirement list.

What the heck are you guys talking about?  Your comparing a 6800 to a radeon 8500?  Do you know anything about computers, or just trying to mislead him.  

Theres no way ARMA will even start with a 8500.  Its not even on the minimum requirement list.

huh.gif please explain. I currently have a (really old) GeForce4. I know I need to swap it, but don't have much money. I found a GeForce 6200 128MB @ £44.65. That will run it wont it?

Minimum specs :

Quote[/b] ]* 2 GHz or better Intel or AMD processor, or equivalent of. Currently not optimized for Dual-core CPU's, game is functional on dual-core CPU's. See ArmA-Mark results

* 512 MB of memory.

* nVidia Geforce FX with 128 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better

* ATI Radeon 9500 with 128 MB of RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better

* 3 GB of Disk space (or more as needed for downloadable add-ons)

* Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

* DirectX 9.0c

A raedon 8500 is not Pixel Shader 2.0 capable and is 2 generations older than a 6800. A Geforce 6200 is Pixel Shader 3.0 capable and should run ArmA (probably very poorly).

Minimum specs :
Quote[/b] ]*  2 GHz or better Intel or AMD processor, or equivalent of. Currently not optimized for Dual-core CPU's, game is functional on dual-core CPU's. See ArmA-Mark results

* 512 MB of memory.

* nVidia Geforce FX with 128 MB RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better

* ATI Radeon 9500 with 128 MB of RAM & Pixel Shader 2.0 or better

* 3 GB of Disk space (or more as needed for downloadable add-ons)

* Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

* DirectX 9.0c

A raedon 8500 is not Pixel Shader 2.0 capable and is 2 generations older than a 6800. A Geforce 6200 is Pixel Shader 3.0 capable and should run ArmA (probably very poorly).

What have you got?

from the Hardware and settings thread:

Quote[/b] ]A reference for those with minimum specs, especially the video card.

In the MP demo (5116)

Hardware:

p4 northwood (HT off) 3000 @ 3300 (220 fsb)

AGP Raedon 9600xt 128mb (500gpu/300ram) @ 550/350

1024mb Ram @ 2.5,3,3,5

Graphics settings - all on low except :

textures: very low

shadows: disabled

antiAliasing : disabled

blood : high

ViewDistance is fixed in the demo at ~1200m.

Frame Rates (using Fraps 1.9) :

1280x960, 15-30 fps.

1024x768, 25-40 fps.

640x480, 50-100 fps.

The only really bad thing I've noticed is looking the ocean will reduce my fps to around 5, and it is mostly rendered one shade of blue.

Basically my pc was the 2nd best of everything ~3 years ago. A 6200 would probably have similar performance to my card, although the 6200 is a cheap card made for word processing, not running games so you can't be sure.

Oh man. 4 or more years i've been waiting. I now i can't afford to upgrade to play it.

I tried running the demo with a GeForce FX 5200, 512 MB ram and an Althlon 1.4 rofl.gif

a need a better job....