Sign in to follow this  
Morlock

Problem with the jeep crew in Somato Night Mission

When I get in as a driver and have someone from my team manning the TOW, the guy won't shoot at his targets unless I give him a direct order to shoot at a certain target. He won't fire by himself, even if I give him the order to do so.

I could of course try to make him shoot at targets I point to, but while on the driver's seat, I can't simply point my mouse at what I want. I only have a certain degree of freedom.

This is pretty annoying.

Theyve made the missions insanely stupid and unrealistic, yeah lets send a couple of humvees out to destroy a tank formation. All my own soldiers die almost instantly and they dont even kill many before that. So basically its you against everyone in just about every mission and they dont even give you the tools to do that, like no silenced weapon when you have to sneak into their compound. And to top it off, the ai are one shot wonders when they are literally a couple of pixels to me at 1280x1024.

Theres no thought gone into these missions, they are worse than OF. I cant understand how a game can take so long yet it looks like so little thought has gone into it and its as buggy as hell.

To get arround this I went into command mode (default space x2) that allowed me to give the gunner targets and orders to fire.

I actually found this mission straight forward.

At the initial attack do not send your TOWvees in they will be useless against the troops. Let the other forces do the work for u, maybe fire off a TOW at their vehicles if you're feeling giddy.

The next part was easy as well. Race down the road until just before it starts to wind down the hill. Position your TOW's against the hill beside the road.

You get out and pick off the troops that come up the road from the hill top. You should also see the tanks before your TOW's do so you can feed them the target before they see it. They will then fire it as soon as they see it. The Big tank takes 2 shots the small ones 1.

Next part again let the AI machine gun humvees and squad do most of the work, fire off a few tows at the vehicles in the camp but don't go down the hill.

The main thing is to avoid infantry and keep your distance. Troops will kill your mates in your humvees very very easily.

I had some problems on this mission too. I was able to eventully do it with only a few AI troops dead. You need to hide on a hill near the 2nd waypoint to kill the tanks. But I agree with Steve L. The missions are seriously pathetic. The game itself I think is great and has tons of potential. But the campain, which should really show what the game can do, failed. In Op Flashpoint the campain missions were the golden standard for what player made missions should be. In ArmA, the campain is the standard for what missions shouldn't be.

I had some problems on this mission too. I was able to eventully do it with only a few AI troops dead. You need to hide on a hill near the 2nd waypoint to kill the tanks. But I agree with Steve L. The missions are seriously pathetic. The game itself I think is great and has tons of potential. But the campain, which should really show what the game can do, failed. In Op Flashpoint the campain missions were the golden standard for what player made missions should be. In ArmA, the campain is the standard for what missions shouldn't be.

Totally agree the mission is absolutely horrible.

To everyone who still has to play it, the endmission cheat is the only right way to play this mission.

To get arround this I went into command mode (default space x2) that allowed me to give the gunner targets and orders to fire.

I actually found this mission straight forward.

At the initial attack do not send your TOWvees in they will be useless against the troops.  Let the other forces do the work for u, maybe fire off a TOW at their vehicles if you're feeling giddy.

The next part was easy as well.  Race down the road until just before it starts to wind down the hill.  Position your TOW's against the hill beside the road.

You get out and pick off the troops that come up the road from the hill top.  You should also see the tanks before your TOW's do so you can feed them the target before they see it.  They will then fire it as soon as they see it.  The Big tank takes 2 shots the small ones 1.

Next part again let the AI machine gun humvees and squad do most of the work, fire off a few tows at the vehicles in the camp but don't go down the hill.

The main thing is to avoid infantry and keep your distance.  Troops will kill your mates in your humvees very very easily.

Jep, this is the strategy I tried as well, but it doesnt work.

A) the AI sucks at shooting TOW's

B) they dont listen to my "hold fire" at all

C) why is it they leave the light of the car on even though I told them to stay in stealth Mode?

D) the symbol for gunner is somewhat confusing, the gunenr inside my car has a crosshair as mark, the gunner in the other car doesnt.

E) where the hell do I find the Arti-support command? In OFP it was in the radio options, here in ArmA it wasnt there. Quite anyoing the mission.

A) the AI sucks at shooting TOW's

B) they dont listen to my "hold fire" at all

C) why is it they leave the light of the car on even though I told them to stay in stealth Mode?

D) the symbol for gunner is somewhat confusing, the gunenr inside my car has a crosshair as mark, the gunner in the other car doesnt.

E) where the hell do I find the Arti-support command? In OFP it was in the radio options, here in ArmA it wasnt there. Quite anyoing the mission.

A - I Can't agree more

B - Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't sad_o.gif

C - Sometimes I have the option Lights Off in the Command Menu - Actions - sometimes

D - I had this only during the mission early in the campaign where I had to seek and destroy SLA field camps.

E - The funny thing is that it isn't in HUD radio options tounge2.gif You have to open MAP and click on the radio display. However, artillery doesn't work for me. Nor did it in the mission where I had to defend a field base from SLA

Strange things, strange things...

Even though the campaign missions are a bit buggy sometimes and not as immersive as OFP I'm still having a blast with them. The missions are much harder then in OFP due to the higher enemy AI skill, the grass problems and the length of the missions. But there is greater freedom to choose the way you want to complete them, and you are challenged to think before you act. If you just rush in blindly you will probably die but if you move carefully, plan and execute that plan properly you might not lose a single man. The buggyness of some missions adds to this 'thinking' challenge because I'm often challenged to complete a mission in a completely different way then was intended by the designers. For example, in the Corazol mission (where you have to blow up the bridge) the bridge did not blow at the first attempt and I was forced to kill most of the enemy armor myself. It was great fun, but not as the designers intended it.

Despite all it's flaws, I'm loving it smile_o.gif

Boy, oh boy. Again I'm stuck in a mission. This mission just didn't end although I think I killed everyone and everything in the last camp. All I got was a game over when I drove my jeep on a bumb and died biggrin_o.gif

If I only didn't love this game so much, I would have tossed it into a garbage can soo many times already! I hope the next patch will be a BIG improvement. There sure is a lot to fix.

I lost all my squad bar one as soon as we reached the waypoint we were told to go to initially. I hit the dirt and try to work out what to do next. Luckily the AI buddies cleared off the attackers and I get told to link up to the south.

I climb the hill with my surviving lackey and we sneak around the T-72 and 2 BMP's. I did however manage to shoot a sniper and steal his Dragunov here. Then I parked on the hill outside the enemy base and sniped troops till I ran out of ammo, then looted the bodies of those enemies that had ran towards me. Got more sniper ammo, killed most of the remaining troops then went into the base.

I shoot the 3 or 4 soldiers hiding there and heal then steal a T-72 and drive back to the hill pass and destroy the T-72 and BMP. The second BMP was dead for some reason.

Finally I get the message to drive to the base and destroy it. Since it's already done, the light artillery attack is pointless. tounge2.gif

Even though the way I did the mission is contrary to how it should be done and unrealistic, the good thing is that at least in this case the Campaign allowed improvisation to succeed!

Now if only they fixed the rest of turgid campaign!

hmmm, on this mission i took 3 hummers with me, sent the ai to man the 2 tow's, and myself got in the m2, as the gunner. cleared out the mission pretty well smile_o.gif

So you are the remains of a force doing a joint exercise with your allies and a hostile neighbouring nation invades. You don't HAVE tanks. You have a few companies and some light armor and patrol vehicles. Very few men and utterly outnumbered. Most of the troops are green. Your only advantage is your more advanced technology you can utilize in, say, night missions.

So can someone please explain how this mission is "completely unrealistic" in this situation etc. What would the options be if you don't get the order to just run away and take a raft across the Atlantic so you can eat BigMacs back home, if you survive? You don't have aircover, I got the impression you don't have tank brigades of Abrams on the ready to smash the enemy with, no heavy arty, no aircover to speak of. The TOW is an amazing tank killer and mounted on a HUMWEE can be used as a fast, mobile anti-tank platform and against a low(er)-tech enemy I suppose is an excellent piece of equipment to use on ambush.

Dunno, my guess is a lot of players are thinking on the same lines with me but there is the usual vocal minority who scream their lungs out on the forum about everything being shit, and since I'm having a bad day due to a hangover and thus behave like a moron I try to explain another POW of the issue to those who feel betrayed by the awful campaign design. Give BI a break, they already tuned up stuff in 1.05 and quite a lot of the complaints I see are honestly not called for.

Anyway, notice your squad mates are ranked "novice" or "green" so don't expect them to perform very well, they will move and shoot slowly compared the spec ops vets. You have to practically jump into the command interface and tell them to do everything. Sometimes twice smile_o.gif

Other people already explained how to accomplish the mission above. I got out with no casualties after a few tries and my crew destroyed three BMP2's and a bunch of infantry along with them. I just drove a hummer and ordered them around, praying they don't fuck up.

Also, a bug: shut down lights on a hummer with a gunner and leap off the drivers seat. The lights are magically turned on immediately.

sad_o.gif

Enjoyed this one, but only after I decided to drive and gun for myself. The AI wasted too many TOW rounds for my liking and you need to kill up to three units in rapid succession climbing the hill at the bend in the road. Gunning the TOW myself I was able to knock the armour out with no problems and the rest of the mission was straightforward.

Im stuck in this mission atm. Every objective is completed exept the last one that is take over / destroy town part. i killed everyone in there and destroyed what can be destroyed with a tank. the briefing also say i can call in air support by radio. HOW do i use a radio? its not on the map anymore. Also like to know how i can tell at what position i am, my men often ask "where are you"? How do i use the end mission cheat mentioned earlier in this topic?

I thought i was doing well, untill this mission....

My humvee is too slow at the 2nd waypoint, i just get ambushed by a bunch of troops and a BMP...

I wonder that you had so many problems with this mission. I actually lost no single soldier nor vehicle in it.

I went into the first hummer as gunner, let three others fill the remaining slots and left the MG and AT soldier outside. I then went on slowly in line formation, mostly by giving my driver direct commands (most of the time SLOW or HALT). From a decent distance I revealed enemy soldiers with my optics who got eliminated by my soldiers. The AI groups actually do a good job too at eliminating ground forces in the beginning of the mission.

Then I went on slowly to the S, always watching the area and keeping in formation with my soldiers and the second hummer. When I got to the last waypoint on the street, which the BMPs are coming up, I found a nice spot for the two hummers and the AT soldiers and got ready. The bmps couldn't see me easily there when they were coming up the road, and after a couple of tries (I saved, of course), I got all three of them without own losses.

Although ArmA requires very low settings for me, it is a lot of fun IMO. Of course, there are bugs, but the tactical game play that I loved in OFP remains there.

u may wonder why someon else have so much trouble in it and tell about how well u did it, but u forget in this game every time u play its different, so u were just more lucky with the situation. as i told before in this thread i was stuck, but then i replayed it and only destroyed 2 tanks and a few men then i drove to next objective and all of a sudden mission was completed, i hardly did anything.

so if ur stuck or get killed replay it and it might be over sooner than u expect.

1) the best way to beat this mission is attack only the the soldiers and the first wave of enemies with the Humvee. there are some residual enemies around but its only soldiers so stay alert

2) don't go to the second wave point unless your willing to take casualties (I like my men to always live i dont know about you).

3) instead by pass the southern road and move on to the base which is further south and don't take the Humvee because its draws less attention/quieter. just disembark and take your squad for a hike around the approaching convoy and attack the base to the south. you could possibly even call for artillery i think.

i never tried to call a strike but i know its an option if you kill the convoy before hand

side note........whats fishy about this base is there are several tanks but no operators to drive them ..apparently no one on the base knows how to drive the t72s soo... don't worry about anyone jumping into the tanks because they seem surprised that your attacking

4) use the high hilly areas to your advantage and mop the floor with them. there are several patrolling guards and a 2 snipers but nothing your boys cant handle. there 3 tanks you can use against them if you like its your choice.

5)take all 3 t72's with a crew of 2or 3 in each tank and attack the 2 bmp's and t72. return to the base you stole them and enjoy a nice stat sheet of kills you rack up and most importantly all your squad is still alive.

another side note:

one thing i learned from OFP is explore the surroundings if you get stuck and if theres an opportunity to use the enemies weapons against them steal it at all cost to insure you have the upper hand. OFP AND ARMA is a thing mans game and presents some opportunities to take advantage of the enemy

In most missions i've taken the scenic route...

epecially in the "hotel Mission" in the campaign.. crazy_o.gif

I'll take those tips inthecutt.. wink_o.gif