Sign in to follow this  
MehMan

On The Run

This is an SP mission.

Well, today I'm presenting the product of this days work, a survival mission, better yet, if enough people will get interested, a series of missions, I do have more planned, much harder and complicated than this one, but depends if enough people will like this.

Well, you are a covert helicopter pilot, you were transporting covert troops into northern sahrani and on the way back your tail rotor failed, crash landing you onto an abandoned island. You get up after passing out and see that there's a fire brewing near your chopper, you get out just in time. But you can't rest yet, the SLA troops are onto you. Will you escape? Or will you die? They are hunter killer teams, they don't take prisoners.

MISSION LINK

Mirror provided by Armaholic(thanks guys!wink_o.gif

It´s a single player mission and I like it! It has a good ambience/vibe, better than most single player missions that come with the game. However, I´m stuck, I managed to kill 2 soldiers on a patrolling boat but I couldn´t enter it.

Yes, you are not meant to enter that boat wink_o.gif. Keep going west. You're going to do some swimming. I wanted the player to operate without waypoints and more logical thinking. For example, you wouldn't expect your escape boat to be put right next to a cliff? A more logical place would be somewhere reachable on foot and without swimming miles offshore to get it. Also, you will have to swim across the short straight there, no way around it.

Hopefully the mission isn't too hard nor too easy, I tried to make it hard, but not impossibly hard.

Thanks, I did beat it! I really like how you actually lose your NV goggles when you swim to the west and while it was very hard to get to the boat undetected (or even see the hostile soldiers in that area), I did manage it after 10 attempts.

Minor idea that I had: Some limited hidden weapons or goodies (NV goggles), but once a player finds them, more patrolling soldiers get dropped on the islands.

Good idea. So you liked the mission?

Yes, you are not meant to enter that boat wink_o.gif.

Is it locked then? What's the reason a boat that was working seconds ago stop working when you try to use it?

Seeing one of the choppers land somewhere made me want to try to shoot the pilot and steal the chopper - would I be able to fly it if I could kill all the soldiers guarding it/riding it?

I did enjoy your mission (I haven't finished it yet, though), but I don't like artificial boundaries... But if a message pops up saying that some critical component on the boat was ruined by my bullets, then it's ok.

Well, I had to find a way to steer the player into the right course. This was the one. I will work on it for pt 2.

I have completed this mission, and it was fun - but the inability to board any of the enemy boats has got me confused at first (i don't think it is a good practice to "lock" enemy vehicles for the player - i can understand if you lock a plane because the player is not supposed to be a trained pilot, but boats? sad_o.gif ).

I read the briefing which said that i should head west where i should find a boat - ok, i headed west, i found a boat (the enemy one), i killed the enemies, jumped into water and swam to the boat only to discover i cannot board it. My first thought was that the mission is bugged, but i decided to try it some other way (maybe to swam all the way to the rescue point), and soon i found another enemy boat, which i was too unable to board, then i finally understood that these boats are not for me.

But that was just minor thing, except of that i really enjoyed this mission - finally something little different than the common crap smile_o.gif

Also, i experienced some strange behaviour of my guns - after some time, my gun disappeared from view, i still had it, i could still fire it, but i couldn't see neither the gun or its optics (it's VERY difficult to hit anything without ANY optics or sights smile_o.gif ).

But i think this problem is rather ArmA related, and your mission has nothing to do with it (although i must admit, this was the first time i experienced such a weird thing).

Quote[/b] ]Well, you are a covert helicopter pilot

A boat shouldn't be much of a problem then. Helicopters in the mission shouldn't be locked, the player is a pilot. Boat can be locked, but I always prefer to unlock them and maybe let a fuel line be hit. So that in 30 seconds, there's no fuel left (use a hint to display: fuel line hit or something like this)

I was kinda hoping that the boats will fire on the player and kill him before he gets to them. But since the AI in the boat doesn't find infantry a big enough threat they seem to not fire at him. :P Also the helos should fire at you, but then again, they don't. Blah, AI needs to be tweaked. Or infantry needs a high threat rating.

Yeah, choppers should fire at infanterie (again).

Once they did. I remember my squad being killing by a hind in the original OFP Campaign, the mission after Montignac, where Armstrong was 'On the run' as well. wink_o.gif

Then came a patch, 1.30 or so, and it stopped working, the campaign-mission was broken, and was never fixed ;(

As for the boats: Make an is-alive-check on the driver, when he gets shot, the boat goes bang, because you hit the fuel tank. So is it clear, that taking over enemy boats isn't an option in this mission wink_o.gif

Good tip! I'm not the best at scripting, I have only ideas for missions in my head and once they get out, they turn out half as good as I'd imagined them. But with your help they can improve. Thanks for the feedback, it is much appriciated.

P.S. part 2 is underway wink_o.gif.