Sign in to follow this  
Sentralia

Chechnya Conflict

How does everyone feel about a total conversion using the Chechnya Conflict as its theme? I've never seen a mod done about this conflict before, and I would really like to see it. I understand that there isn't much variety of weapons or vehicles that could be present, if we stick to historical accuracy. However, this is not a total loss. Further detail could be put the gameplay aspect and improve a lot of things, without having to worry about putting in loads of weapon and vehicle content. Of course, all new content will be used, instead of recycling Armed Assault models. Who is the slightest bit interested in helping out? Thanks! smile_o.gif

I always thought there's a huge variety of equipment in chechnya, the russians buy and sell anything to anyone. (including to chechens)

Kontraknyiki use just about whatever they get their hands on. MVD troops even use western equipment sometimes.

There was lots of heavy fighting in the 1st chechen war so there is enough material to make a looooong campaign out of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grozny_%281994-1995%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grozny_%28August_1996%29

But, the russian army's corruption is something of a sensitive issue and i don't know how a mod about the chechen conflict could avoid that, if it tries to be realistic.

edit: also, that video, please delete it before one of the mods get here (it's too graphic). I had some trouble with linking to graphic images too so just a word of warning.

The first chechen war was such a fiasco, I dont think it would be a good one too use...the army was too much in transition, too corrupt.

The second chechen war would be a better idea, it was played out in a much better way, with less casualties and ofcourse now the war is basically over since both Basayev and Maskhadov is dead.

I think the best thing is to leave the controversial aspects of it, i.e. the guerilla and russian atrocities and corruption on both sides. Just leave it as a military mod about the conflict itself...

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't want anyone to make such a controversy over something that is meant to be fun.

I'd often thought that OFP would have been a good basis for

a "Chechen war" mod. The corruption and atrocity would

have suited General Guba just fine.

If you're shy of the controversial aspects then you could

make it a Chechen war in everything but name - make

fictional armies based closely on the model of the real life

ones. In a strange way it's less offensive if it's declared

fiction.

Thanks!

I'm starting to think, though. Would it be better to have a non-existant campaign, and focus on multiplayer, or vice versa?