Sign in to follow this  
Chunder

Multiplayer Map Indicators (Poll)

Hi all.

Been getting back into the Armed Assault business again. And reliving my old problems as before. Designating to my team mates where I beleive a sniper is.

I might even be unawhere if there is a solution to this problem.

Problem is I mark an area with a placemark, but it's relitively inaccurate, Doesn't tell much. I can pop my head out from behind an object, to be fired on by a sniper, who could only possibly fire on me from a location where he can see me.

Accurately describing this to team mates has been a major problem for me for ages.

I was wondering if there was a want for a tool where you could scribe a line on the map for your team mates to see, showing the line behind which you beleive the sniper was firing from. <edit>Or any other solutions that are existant because I find the place mark not descriptive enough. <edit>

Cheers.

Yeah, but my problem is, often I havn't any idea where the sniper is, except for a general location because I don't have a high powered rifle scope, while the sniper knows where I am, and can fire, which means I'm not popping my head back out anytime soon!

And often there are no Binoculars available!

Then just write "possible sniper pos" or "sniper in area" or something. Or if you're close to each other just shout out the estimated direction and range. I don't see the problem, to be honest.

well that sniper really are doing his job huh.gif

may be try to mark that area by many markers?

What you don't have your dummy head in your back-pack?

->Sniper detection head tounge2.gif

Nah, seriously, not sure if i really understand your problem.

I mean, first i would advice to use your compase. In an area with some high (static) cover it could give you more or less a general direction where the original shot came from (N-E, N-N-E..untill there is a better readable compase-mod out....).

As for getting your teammates attention (depending if you play with friends or brainless zombies icon_rolleyes.gif )...use Teamspeak or VOIP or even the chat.

As for how to attack snipers i would say leave that to your sniper team.

Hmm probably a bad description on my part.

I'm pinned down, I could mark a location, but it could be any position say from say 350 degrees north through say 300 degrees north west, from a particular point.

We know that he can't get a shot onto the area past these points, but say in this area that we know he is, there are a heap of rocks, and shrubs etc.

Putting a heap of markers makes everything cluttered. And if you got a helicopter comming in to do a run it can make it even more difficult to tell him where to come in from. As people don't like comprehending words they like a ground map. Think of it as designating a pie 'slice' to look out for.

Sometimes I wish i could remove my old markers from the map too which are no longer relevant.

Eventually I do manage to track down a sniper. But the thread is intended more of, do you have problems with this as well, and are there some tools that could be made that are perfectly okay which would help people more describing their situations on the battlefield via the map view.

Do some fire control order training mate tounge2.gif Works like a charm with our lot.

You can delete old markers, hover over it with the mouse and press the delete button (not backspace). Voila.

Use different colour markers etc as well, blue, green, red (pressing down on your arrow keys whilst you have the typing box up, left and right change the type of marker.

Well i do agree, OPF-ArmA (and everything in between) lacked a good 'zone' marker for map use. Meaning, sometimes it would indeed be very handy go have the same kind of zone markers ike we have in the editor (square-circle where you can define the distances + types of fill-up colour/symbols + colour).

Maybe something somebody could created as pbo script or different custom markers...or maybe BIS could inplant a basic zone marker option on the mapsection?

Untill then i guess communication is the wayto solve your problem.

Long time ago I made this suggestion :

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=49372

Too bad developers didn't hear it... sad_o.gif

Uhm, a developer even replied to you in the 4th post. wink_o.gif

I think what Chunder would like to be able to do is draw a wedge from his position to the general position he thinks the sniper is at. If you could draw lines and (part) circles, like Universal suggests in his post, you could do that.

If there is a way to change the direction of the arrow marker, you could use that to point to the general direction that you think the sniper is located.

(The arrow is accessed by scrolling your marker with the up and down buttons on the keyboard.)

Too bad developers didn't hear it...  sad_o.gif

Uhm, a developer even replied to you in the 4th post.  wink_o.gif

I think what Chunder would like to be able to do is draw a wedge from his position to the general position he thinks the sniper is at. If you could draw lines and (part) circles, like Universal suggests in his post, you could do that.

He may have answered, but nothing was done in OFP cuz it's far from being simple to make it as addon.

Only BIS can make it properly, and I dont think something like that on your map screen : untitledgt6.gif

is difficult to implement...

Also add a server command to allow it or not (to prevent abuse), and voila!

Too bad developers didn't hear it... sad_o.gif

Uhm, a developer even replied to you in the 4th post. wink_o.gif

He may have answered, but nothing was done in OFP cuz it's far from being simple to make it as addon.

Only BIS can make it properly, and I dont think something like that on your map screen : untitledgt6.gif

is difficult to implement...

Also add a server command to allow it or not (to prevent abuse), and voila!

LOL you can have MS paint built into ArmA rofl.gif

Edit:

Maybe they can put it into an expansion called "ArmA: MS Paint" tounge2.gif

<Bump>

So 38.48% of people have difficulty with the problem (so far)

seriously though.... if there is enough support for tools to make it a bit easier perhaps BIS could help us out if need be? As far as map tools go?