Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Uniforms not really fair game

And have you ever been in the field with it? Didn't think so

i havent since im not in the US army. But while i was still a Reservist in the British Army, I had seen some of you guys in it on exercise. Its not to good in dense woodland. Though from what I can see it looks good for desert and arid areas.

@Dudester what do you want the devs to do about it? it is the current BDU used by the US army, they can not change it just becuase some people do not like it.

I mean we have the USA forces lit up like chiristmas trees in the forests and fields because of the unifom, while the enemy has good camouflage wearing green.

Well... consider a fight in the mountains wink_o.gif

There the Americas have the advantage, so in the desert.

One of the most obvious things in AA that makes for unfair game play is the uniforms. I mean we have the USA forces lit up like chiristmas trees in the forests and fields because of the unifom, while the enemy has good camouflage wearing green. I know some might say "but USA is camouflaged in the desert" but the point i'm making is that means there is never a fair fight on both sides. I remember a cheat in OFP that used to make the players pink. Well to me BIS has introduced it here for the USA force without it been a cheat.

*Ahem* Getting back to the discussion here: I totally agree with your post! Isn't it possible to adjust the camo of the units to where the mp-map takes place (desert, woodland)?

Because right now the US soldiers stick out like sore thumbs in the grass and in the desert the opfo soldiers don't look too good..

at least let them have the SAME camo..

and it shows in gameplay. ever notice how mostly the US gets creamed in woodland maps and opfor in the desert?

@Dudester  what do you want the devs to do about it? it is the current BDU used by the US army, they can not change it just becuase some people do not like it.

I just hope somone makes multiplayer maps that will include these soldiers This one

and it shows in gameplay. ever notice how mostly the US gets creamed in woodland maps and opfor in the desert?

So we dont know who is who? tounge2.gif

And if it shows in the gameplay..

Then the players should take the advantage of that, players know when they are sticking out so they should play accoridngly to that. (laying ambushes etc in forests, instead of figting out in the open where its even easier to spot them), and SLA forces should do it the other way around.

This is ArmA goddamned, not some corner shooter, there are endless possibilities which is part of what makes this game so fun to play. Use them. tounge2.gif

One of the most obvious things in AA that makes for unfair game play is the uniforms. I mean we have the USA forces lit up like chiristmas trees in the forests and fields because of the unifom, while the enemy has good camouflage wearing green. I know some might say "but USA is camouflaged in the desert" but the point i'm making is that means there is never a fair fight on both sides. I remember a cheat in OFP that used to make the players pink. Well to me BIS has introduced it here for the USA force without it been a cheat.

*Ahem* Getting back to the discussion here: I totally agree with your post! Isn't it possible to adjust the camo of the units to where the mp-map takes place (desert, woodland)?

Because right now the US soldiers stick out like sore thumbs in the grass and in the desert the opfo soldiers don't look too good..

As was said before, you can't just go ignoring reality and gearing the units for gameplay alone. Armed Assault has a story behind it, and though finctional it is based on real life. IRL, US Army soldiers wear ACU in combat, no matter where they are. As for the SLA, their side of the island is all woodland, and only about 20-25% of the entire island is desert, and since the desert ares are in the South, why should they have a desert uniform unless they regularly invaded the South, which is just silly. If everything were balanced for gameplay alone, we'd have two identical militaries fighting eachother with the same gear, and it would be no fun at all. You wouldn't be able to even identify who's who.

Well ok guys if your happy lets just lock the thread right now. I have and never will talk about a game like its real life combat this is a game and i just made a point. Uniform colours in a game is always going to be different from one in real life, but that wasn't my intended argument. I simply wanted fair play. Suddenly however, my post has gone from been a simple game complaint to what the USA army really wears in combat and how it affects this that and the other, so plz just lock the thread if its just going to continue down this line.

I agree - it's funny seeing your squad sticking out as if wrapped in toilet paper while moving through greenery.

Because from a distance, they're represented as little white sticks against a (colour) background. The enemy are represented as little brownygreen sticks against a green background. The enemy is less "glanceable".

You could argue that this just makes using cover that much more important.

Just hypothetically - on a night mission in the game, playing against human opponents, would you rather be wearing ACU or black?

most leagues trying to have balanced maps not only to have a good gameplay for both, also to have equal warfun and to become or keep popular, its better not to use addons. therefore it would be really appriciated to have some woodcamo in some future patch.

Well ok guys if your happy lets just lock the thread right now. I have and never will talk about a game like its real life combat this is a game and i just made a point. Uniform colours in a game is always going to be different from one in real life, but that wasn't my intended argument. I simply wanted fair play. Suddenly however, my post has gone from been a simple game complaint to what the USA army really wears in combat and how it affects this that and the other, so plz just lock the thread if its just going to continue down this line.

If you want 'fair and balanced' gameplay i suggest you try the likes of CS:S, BF2 and BF2142. OFP and ArmA has always about realism. ok the ACU camo may make you harder to hide. So what you have far better weapons available to you as a US soldier. From small arms to armoured units.

It breaks up your outline.  It's in armed assault because it's what the US army has been issuing since october of 2005. I meant, by the 'field' comment, if you haven't been out in the field with REAL ACU's, not the shitty ones you can buy offline, but the army issue, don't comment about them sticking out.  

It's not meant to hide you, but break up your pattern.  Think of it like playing at a low resolution.  The further away, the harder to distinguish pixels are, and the more blended in color, the harder to tell what exactly it is that you are looking at.

It all depends on the lighting.  It works very, very well.  It's not the best camo for woodland, or desert, however it is the best compromise, and works great in MOST environments.  Just because it can't be realistically simulated in armed assault doesn't mean its garbage in real life.  Do you actually think (you can argue if you'd like) that the U.S. Army, the premier land force on EARTH, would issue it if it were crap?  Doubtful.  

I wouldn't really bother arguing, it's in game, it's what the U.S. Army uses, and it's not going to be changed by the developers.

On another note, I wouldn't really worry about if the US Army wore pink flightsuits on sahrani, within three or four days, if even that, we would have wiped those northern turds off of their own island.  The U.S. Army can fight just as well, if not better at night than it can during the day, i say better, taking into account that enemies generally aren't as well equipped to night fight.  Then again, who really cares, it's a video game!  Best wishes in 2007 for all of you, regardless of your countries, but to the topic starter, doing a 30 second bit of research would have helped you out in the aspect that you now look like a fool for having even started this topic.

- EDIT --

Just read the rules about spoilers again and decided to remove the sentence

- EDIT -

I have and never will talk about a game like its real life combat this is a game and i just made a point.

Well theres the problem. I'm trying hard not to just say 'Go play BF2' because I think you deserve a little more respect than that, all the same it would seem to be the only answer.

Many of us OFP/Arma fans, if not the majority of us, want something as close to real life combat as possible. We want a simulation of the real world because that is what interests and excites us the most - we just don't want to risk our lives or kill others in the process. Real life is not balanced and it is never fair. There are hundreds of games out there which cater to those wanting less realism and more balance etc but there are very few, almost none, towards the simulation end of the spectrum.

So forgive us for protecting the one game which actually comes closest to being what we want.

Uniforms dont matter *too* much in this game, its a tactical game, get your tactics right and someone with an average shot and you'll win more often than not.

Its realistic...

It also adds diversity, otherwise you'd be fighting the exact same enemy as yourself, with the same weapons, no fun in that. If you're bothered about balancing between sides, get the players to switch over teams at the end of a match...

I don't agree with you, but that is irrelevant. The point that most people bring up is that ACU is what the US Army wears today - so it'd be illogical if the US Army Troops in game would not have ACU. In a military themed game you can't just exchange equipment like that. Are you going to exchange their M4s for AK74s next? confused_o.gif

In a tournament I can see the problem. My clan-versus-clan experience in OFP/ArmA is severly limited because I've always been in co-op clans. However, in other games that I've participated with a clan you always play a set number of rounds and then exchange sides. Doesn't OFP/ArmA-tournaments use this as well?