Sign in to follow this  
fishy1337

Error when updating

Ok I got my computer yesterday and installed ArmA when I was sure it worked  yay.gif  It's a great game but bearly playable for me with 1.00 patch... So I downloaded 1.02 and tried to install it. Every time I install I always get an error where it stands exactly: Error found in file AddOns\ui.pbo.(XXXcodes) I've taken the ui.pbo file from disc and replace it with the other and tooken a ui.pbo a friend send to me but it doesn't work... Help a new ArmA player now   help.gif  help.gif

PS: I have Vista and my ArmA is in german version bought from Amazon, and the same error comes up when I tries to install 1.01!

CPU: 3,4 I P4

RAM: 1 GB

Video card: ATI Radeon X300

Machine bought 2004

1) You need to have administrative privileges when applying patch. Vista is different from Windows XP in handling this and patch does not check for this specifically. I guess it is possible to explicitly request you want to be running with elevated rights.

2) There is a bug in the patch which prevents it being executed properly on some mostly 64b computer. This bug however does not usually show itself with ui.pbo, which is quite small, rather with some large file, like sara.pbo or characters.pbo

I'm having a similar problems but for me comes up as more than one file. Sometimes it's anims.pbo, wheeling.pbo, ui.pbo, sara.pbo and a few others. I've reinstalled the game several times and I can never get the patch to install properly, I don't think I've even made it past the Verifying stage. I have full administrator status on this computer.

I hope you don't mind me posting in this topic instead of making a whole new one.

AMD X2 4600+ CPU

Geforce 6600GT 256MB GPU- latest drivers

Onboard Realtek AC97 - latest drivers

2GB XMS RAM

ArmA 1.00 German

DirectX 9.0c

Of course you can post same problem here... Someone hidding has sure a solution in this and know how we can update... Because it's almost unplayable for me now!

fishy1337 don't bump your thread 3 times in one day.

Did you redownload the patch?

Are you an administrator on your machine?

Are you running 64 bit windows?

fishy1337 don't bump your thread 3 times in one day.

Did you redownload the patch?

Are you an administrator on your machine?

Are you running 64 bit windows?

1. Yes, many times

2. Yeah, tried everything with adminstrator rights

3. I don't know, how to check?

Excuse me, but I find it hard to believe that you logged in as administrator, but don't know if your WXP is 32 or 64 bit.

That sounds .. fishy ? lol

Excuse me, but I find it hard to believe that you logged in as administrator, but don't know if your WXP is 32 or 64 bit.

That sounds .. fishy ? lol

What has the one thing to do with the other then? huh.gif

~S~ CD

Frankly .. you can not seriously tell me that someone who does not know what OS he is running, can tell the difference between guest and admin account lol

Okay to be of a little help here:

How to log on with the Administrator account

All Windows XP computers have a special user account named Administrator (some computer manufacturers might rename it).

To log on with the Administrator account so that you can install software or change computer settings

///// If you are currently logged on to your computer, click Start, and then click Log Off. When prompted, click Switch User.

///// On the Welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard by holding down both the CTRL and ALT keys and then pressing DELETE.

///// The Log On to Windows dialog box appears. In the User name box, type <span style='color:red'>Administrator</span> In the Password box, type your Administrator password, if you created one during Windows XP setup. If you have not assigned a password, or you do not know your password, leave the Password box blank. Click OK.

Windows XP logs you on using the Administrator account. You should use the Administrator account only when installing software or changing computer settings. When you are browsing the Web, reading e-mail, or performing other day-to-day computer tasks, you should be logged on using a limited account. For more information, read Set up user accounts and log on to your computer.

Alternatively you can try to start up windows in safe mode and try to install the patch.

Hehe... Sorry for being inactive. I just checked and I have a 32-bits processor... And Desert, remember that I have a Vista computer not XP and I can't find a adminstartor acount!

Hi

You can also do administrative tasks in Windows XP by using the "Run As..." command. Usually it can be found by right-clicking the program file/icon in file explorer or in the start menu. Then you get a dialog box where you can select an account with administrator privileges and give password for it. Then the program runs with administrative privileges and you didn't have to log off or switch user. You can type "runas" to the command prompt to use the feature from there. In some version of Windows XP I recall that I had to press the shift key from keyboard before right-clicking the icon to get the "Run As..." option visible to the popup menu so try that if it doesn't work for you.

Note that you shouldn't use a user account with administrator privileges all the time, use it only when you really need to do administrative tasks like installing programs etc. This is to make it harder for computer viruses and other such crap created by complete morons from succeeding in an attack towards your computer. Also this is good to prevent you from messing the whole system unusable by for example accidently destroying system files. Give programs only the rights which they need to operate, no more. This is perfectly possible in Windows XP Home Edition too, not just in XP Pro and Vista (which I have not used).

Cheers,

Baddo.

hmm... I'm choosing Run As Adminstrator command. I'm almost giving up! It's a good game tho.

No Devs who can help me? Because it feels strange to buy a game when you can't play it... 1.01 is almost unplayable for me but 1.02 should work fine because I have a clanmate with same CPU, ram and video card!

2) There is a bug in the patch which prevents it being executed properly on some mostly 64b computer. This bug however does not usually show itself with ui.pbo, which is quite small, rather with some large file, like sara.pbo or characters.pbo

This bug was fixed and the updated 1.02 patch was released by Morphicon (marked as suitable for 64b OS users).

Before installing the patch, please be sure to uninstall and install the game. If the previous patch installation failed in the middle, the game state is corrupted and cannot be sucesfully patched.

I had the same patch problem when i started the patch on Vista Home Premium yesterday.

I`m downloading the fixed 1.02 patch now, but i hope 1.03 comes out before i reinstall Arma. I took the already patched files from my Win2K installation of Arma, works this way too. smile_o.gif

btw. I installed Arma 2 times on one machine, and not on 2 machines with one copy of Arma. wink_o.gif