Sign in to follow this  
Hit_Sqd_Maximus

Upgrading to Vista

I'm upgrading to vista in a few hours, and I want to make sure that I can reinstall Armed Assault. I don't want to have to use up one of my activations after the install. Is there anything I should save in my registery where I won't have to do that?

I'd advise you don't, many people have said RC1 is a bit crappy but you can get RC2 which is much better off torrent and use your RC1 key.

I'd advise you don't, many people have said RC1 is a bit crappy but you can get RC2 which is much better off torrent and use your RC1 key.
Quote[/b] ]§2)No discussion about illegally obtained software

All discussions about warez, piracy or leaked software are strictly forbidden, such threads will be closed and will most likely result in a permanent ban for the instigator.

Make sure you have money saved up for the real thing, once Vista is commercially released, I'd say M$ is going to kill off the Beta and Release Candidates pretty quickly pistols.gif

All discussions about warez, piracy or leaked software are strictly forbidden, such threads will be closed and will most likely result in a permanent ban for the instigator.

It's not illegal!!!!!!

Is torrent like profanity now? or something?

It's not illegal!!!!!!

Is torrent like profanity now? or something?

Torrents are unneccessary, you can get RC2 straight from Microsoft if you register I believe.

Torrents are unneccessary, you can get RC2 straight from Microsoft if you register I believe.

Yes, via MSDN/Technet subscription, otherwise, RC2 was stopped distributing for the public.

According to otester Microsoft also go by the name "c0d3rz h33t", and if they don't say anything about their files being distributed without the need of purchase and alike, it's all fine, since Microsoft hasn't said it's not OK!

Dude, there are laws, doesn't matter what Microsoft does and does not say, still, some stuff are illegal.

Now I'll stay the f- away from this topic

Yes, via MSDN/Technet subscription, otherwise, RC2 was stopped distributing for the public.

About my previous post:

I will delete it as soon as someone (preferably otester himself) can show me where to legally get RC2 through a torrent.

Searches on Microsoft.com hasn't lead me nowhere except a link that seems a bit odd for Microsoft themselves to hand out.

If Microsoft once released it then it's fine.

Even if Bill Gates is personally delivering free copies of Vista to your doorstep, discussion about where and how to get it do not belong here.

The actual question is if it's possible not to use up an activation, stick to it.

As far as I'm aware, even if you use up all of your activations, Morphicon/Metaboli or whoever is responsible for the download version should provide more of them after you used them up if you provide a proof of purchase.

Quote[/b] ]

The actual question is if it's possible not to use up an activation, stick to it.

They changed the licensing because it was so unfavourable to hardware enthusiasts. Now there are no limits apart from how many PC's can have it installed. This only applies to Home Basic/Premium.

Now there are no limits apart from how many PC's can have it installed. This only applies to Home Basic/Premium.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but does that mean that you can install the other versions on as many PCs as you want?

If you real license agreement you will see that vista RC builds will QUIT working after dec31 2006 and you cant roll back the date either.

Windows Vista has been RTM for over a month now ...

is vista out now or not and when will it be out for pcs besides the beta

this is from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

Released on November 8, 2006 to manufacturing.

Released on November 17, 2006 to MSDN subscribers.

Released on November 30, 2006 for volume license customers.

Planned release on January 30, 2007 for worldwide retail availability.

Just remember the golden rule. Microsoft have never released a usable product. Only usable patches. I'd wait about 14 months for SP1 to hit before even thinking about Vista. It's not like *anything* requires it just yet.

Just remember the golden rule.  Microsoft have never released a usable product.  Only usable patches.  I'd wait about 14 months for SP1 to hit before even thinking about Vista.  It's not like *anything* requires it just yet.

How about instead of guessing and basing opinions on how things were etc... base your opinions on real and current proof...

You can get 180day test versions, altough those maybe still are RC2 and not RTM... Still you can have a look and report back from real proof instead of just some thin air smile_o.gif

Tested Vista a couple of times while still around alpha stages...

Been running Vista @ work pc and home pc2 since Beta2 release, which already was pretty much running fine...

Went to the interim builds and RC1, RC2, and now the RTM (final) release since a few weeks...

It's great, works fine, fast, more acceleration due to all available ram used as system cache etc. etc.

The only thing keeping me from running it on my main game pc is simply the lack of an Nvidia 8800 Series driver smile_o.gif Nvidia is taking it's time, altough they are still well under way since Consumer release of Vista is only End of January biggrin_o.gif

Even if Bill Gates is personally delivering free copies of Vista to your doorstep, discussion about where and how to get it do not belong here.

Do I really need to repeat myself?

I decided to do the install on a spare hard drive, just in case.

Vista is neat and all, but drivers are hard to find. I can't get my USR Wireless card to work. The sound drivers don't work as well.

Quote[/b] ]The actual question is if it's possible not to use up an activation, stick to it.

Activation thing has been stopped due to the anger it caused. This only applies to Basic/Premium I think.