Sign in to follow this  
DUX0726

Do you like this look 2: The Electric Boogaloo

This is my idea for the Royal Sahrani Guards. It's a mix of parade dress and highly customized Interceptor Body Armor with arm and groin protection. Please vote "Yes" or "No." Thanks again.

l_628a9e30825468fd9fa17a037b2a0f1a.jpgl_1a4ea7abc1828d855cf9439d8cf603c7.jpg

Eratta: I added a second, more subdued version. If this changes your mind, please say so below. Thank You.

It'snot bad at all, but he reminds me of an Imperial Guardsman about to die for the Emperor of Mankind or something. Also, I chuckle everytime I see the damn IBA groin flaps.

It looks good, especially in contrast the proposed Grunt soldier, it gives them a functional uniform with body armor while at the same time making them stand out and look stalwart and royal.

It'snot bad at all, but he reminds me of an Imperial Guardsman about to die for the Emperor of Mankind

I agree. It looks a bit too "Star Wars". I think your regular

army guy looks great; I think this looks ridiculous, so I

voted "no".

Col. Faulkner, I was indeed thinking that there would be an Uday-type personality as a prince of Saharani, that's why I figured he'd really "ham-up" his personal toy soldiers. (i.e. Guards) Just, FYI. Thanks for the honest feedback.

ES: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Fedayeen-Darth-Vedar-Style-SPECIAL-FORCES-HELMET_W0QQitemZ230066046802QQihZ013QQcateg

oryZ10953QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Fe....iewItem</a>

OK, thanks. I never knew about the Uday/Star Wars

connection. Your outfit makes more sense given that

backstory, then (but it still doesn't mean it doesn't look

ridiculous wink_o.gif  ). I think it's the white groin plate that

most imparts the "Imperial Stormtrooper" touch to your

man.

What is he wearing on his shoulders? They look very broad

(almost like an American footballer), and is there an "H"

insignia on them or something?

The shoulders are the "upper arm protection" component of the Interceptor Body Armor System. He is a Capitan of the Guard so his rank is displayed on his hat and also on each shoulder of his armor.

Interceptor: http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/images/news/interceptor.jpg

USMC Capitan Insignia: (His is slightly modified containing only one connecting bar)

http://www.usmc.mil/goodfellow/Pics/capt.jpg

P.S. If the flamboyant colors are the problem then they can easily be made Grey or O.D.

The shoulders are the "upper arm protection" component of the Interceptor Body Armor System. He is a Capitan of the Guard so his rank is displayed on his hat and also on each shoulder of his armor.

Interceptor: http://www.mcleague.com/mdp/images/news/interceptor.jpg

USMC Capitan Insignia: (His is slightly modified containing only one connecting bar)

http://www.usmc.mil/goodfellow/Pics/capt.jpg

Hmmm, OK, I'll shut up now as all I'm achieving is

broadcasting my ignorance. The only thing I'd question

in passing is the likelihood of such huge rank badges on

his upper arms. Are you planning to design some kind of

special "Royal Guard Insignia", or design unique rank

symbols for the Sahrani army (or just stick with the

American symbols)?

So far as rank indicators, I figure it's similar the USMC with slight modification here and there. The Royal Guard, in my mind, is a very brash sort of character. Their flamboyant colors and high end equipment only help foster this kind of confidence/arrogance. They are probably universally despised by the Sahrani Regulars, as they get the best of everything even though they don't do much of the "heavy lifting" in a crisis situation. I would figure that they (the Royal Guard) looked upon their bright colored uniforms as a kind of taunt: "Here I am, easy to see, come try me pal!" - That kind of thing.

I added a more subdued version. Let me know. Tks.

Well, it's alot more utilitarian, but it loses it's flair. Is there a medium? Maybe make that colar piece an emerald green or something.  Maybe some green on that part of the upper arm armor near the edge, I forget what it's called.

I really like your idea of these guards being very garish and a sorta "Hey Look at me! I'm the best and your dirt roflmao!" kind of thing.

*edit*

Instead of green, why not a blue to match the feather?

Seeing as how your soldiers have feathers in their hats I don't think that groin protection is even necessary. I mean, what would they have to lose down there?

Nice mockups nonetheless, I seriously do think the groin protection is pretty much unnecessary though seeing as how those look more like dress uniforms than combat uniforms. Consider replacing it with a nice belt.

Also, I think the headsets look rather silly...

Yeah..the groin flap..is..eh. They're pointless on the IBA anyways, it's just not going to do anything when you take a shot to the junk.

Well, the buttons can be for show, and still be fastened by the regular velcro.

It's a highly customized Interceptor. The buttons are for show. The velcro has been removed. Each one was custom made for the Guard. These guys are essentially "bodyguards" for the Royal Family--only 150 in total--and as such, they are highly stylised. They depend upon their training--probably at the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (i.e. School Of The Americas)--to compensate for their obligatory pomp. (There was more back-story explained in the the "Logical South Sahrani Kit" thread.)

Seeing as how your soldiers have feathers in their hats I don't think that groin protection is even necessary. I mean, what would they have to lose down there?

Hey! Just because a soldier wears feathers in his headdress

doesn't mean he's a fairy!  mad_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

blackwatch.jpg

You could always think about making the feather into

something more like a hackle (the feather "tuft" on this

Highlander's Tam O' Shanter bonnet is called a "hackle").

I know you desperately want a British angle to the Uniforms, and it may yet happen, but the French get higher marks for "pompous hats", so I must follow their example for that aspect of the uniform. biggrin_o.gif

I know you desperately want a British angle to the Uniforms, and it may yet happen, but the French get higher marks for "pompous hats", so I must follow their example for that aspect of the uniform.  biggrin_o.gif

I was just trying to help out with a more "nails" interpretation

of the silly feather. When did I ever suggest a "British angle

to the uniforms"? huh.gif

FN-FAL, this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/whisky01/sahrani2.jpg , the hat above, it's all been of British origin. Fine by me of course.

But...but...FN FAL is not British, it's Belgian and the most

widely used battle rifle of the 20th century. That's why I

suggested it (among many other possibilities). I think you're

mistaking it for the SLR. I only linked the WIP pic of the FAL since

it's the only one I had quickly to hand. I have a G3 model

(German) on the go too, and a couple of American ones (an

Armalite AR-18 and Ruger Mini-14).

And I was talking about the feathers. I don't expect

(or even want) you to equip your guard with Highland

bonnets! Please!    whistle.gif

Cool, cool, my mistake on the FAL. Out of curiosity though, why are you so intent upon defending the fact that you were not taking a British slant in your stylistic viewpoints? On second thought, scratch that. Draw me a picture of your ideal South Sahrani Royal Guard. That's more telling and focused anyway.