Sign in to follow this  
Mongoose_84

Civilians Addon

"Civilians"

An addon that adds civilian-looking soldiers (all available models that were already in the game - including zombies and captives) to all sides. I think it is very well structured and should therefore be interesting to all mod- and map-makers. Btw: by "soldiers" I simply mean, that they don't act like civilians normally do in ArmA, but like "normal" units. This special civilian behaviour makes them run away and hide, when they encounter an enemy (I think once I even saw one crying...) and also prevents them from keeping formation. It can't seem to be overrided with scripting. That was the original reason for me to make this addon - of course it's also quite handy being able to add civilians to any side you want without having to assign them to existing groups of that side. And lastly, some of the models made available with the addon simply were not accessable before. This is just a small addon and it wasn't hard to make. It just makes use of what was already there, but what good are pretty models, if you can't properly use them the way you want to? Someone eventually had to make this addon.

There are some very nice pics over at Armed-Assault-Zone.com

(thx JB for doing what i was too lazy for...)

Mirrors:

Armaholic.com

armedassault.fr

Armed-Assault-Zone.com

Armed-Assault.net

Thanks to all of them!

I hope you're gonna like the fact, that I didn't arm the units. I just did so, because it would have resulted in way too many units and I like how clear and organised the lists are now. I included some initialisation-code (to add weapons) in the readme for anyone, who wants to make use of it.

If anyone wants to mirror the file, please just go ahead!

Due to misunderstandings concerning the actual contents of this addon, I would appreciate, if you used the first paragraph of this post as it's description - I think it's much more useful in that respect than the readme, which wasn't rushed at all whistle.gif

And lastly, if a version is required, I think 1.0 would be appropriate...

(Maybe I'm just paranoid, but after reading through a few opinions I can't help getting the impression that some people are actually looking down on this addon, because it doesn't add new models and stuff and may not be quite the artistic masterpiece - and therefore maybe shouldn't even be called an addon. Those of you may call it mod instead. Or how about patch? Is patch the correct term? Or Peter. Peter sounds nice. Then again... why would I copy anything but addons into my AddOns-folder? Call it whatever you want - I don't care - I'm having fun with it.)

Have fun!

i read something about a download limit on "yousendit", so i made it available to the ed2k-network:

edit: with the mirrors being available now, i think this is no longer necessary, but one person did download it this way from me last night, so it wasn't all in vain biggrin_o.gif

gonna go to bed now goodnight.gif

hope, "yousendit" can provide enough downloads for now - tomorrow i'll see, what i can do. and in about 8 hours from now i'll also have my computer running and upload via ed2k

good night and hope you enjoy my little addon biggrin_o.gif

Firefox doesn't understand EDK2 apparantly tounge2.gif

BTW, do you got some pictures of your addons?

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

BTW, do you got some pictures of your addons?

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

Why? He just made some config changes

Wow, nice surprise! Thanks a lot for the mirrors. I guess that problem is solved smile_o.gif

As for the pictures, as Al Simmons already pointed out, there aren't any new models introduced by the addon - only new classes that make use of already existing models (that's why it's only about 50kb in size). Wasn't much work either, but many people wanted this and I really wonder, why noone else has done it before... so I did. But still I may upload a few pics later, when I've got time, if just to have something to decorate the download sites with.

edit: don't know, if it's necessary to post the entire readme on the mirror-sites, looks kinda funny with all the code being shown - just meant it to be a little help for people, who wouldn't know how to do that themselves... but i guess it doesn't really matter

thx for posting pictures. would still like to know, what people think about the civs being unarmed by default.

When I armed that group I simply had the text file open and could just equip them very easily by alt tabbing. I think it´s good that they come unarmed by default, Mongoose_84 smile_o.gif

Glad the pics were useful btw biggrin_o.gif

When I armed that group I simply had the text file open and could just equip them very easily by alt tabbing. I think it´s good that they come unarmed by default, Mongoose_84 smile_o.gif

Glad the pics were useful btw biggrin_o.gif

i'm glad to hear that!

also glad to see, that those lines of code i added to the readme are actually made use of. after all, it was probably a bit unconventional writing that kind of thing into a readme. biggrin_o.gif

Howdy guys. Nice work.

Mirror added at Armed-Assault.net

We used your pictures, Cr1lle. Hope you don't mind. Credits added of course.

Thanks for the mirror!

...but the description you posted for it must've been meant to be connected to some other addon - not mine huh.gif

"Moongose_84 has released a very handy addon for those of us that don't want to use commands every time we want to add a weapon to a civilian over at the BI-Forums. What it does is add civilians armed with various weapons to all sides in ArmA. Textures are original from BI."

I should've clarified a bit more carefully, what exactly my addon does right from the beginning... now people think it adds new models and armed civilians to the game... dunno who told them, though. At least the thing about the civs being unarmed was clear, I thought...

I think the first paragraph from my first post in this topic is really the best possible description for the addon. Would be nice, if you (and everyone) would use that instead.

I think the first paragraph from my first post in this topic is really the best possible description for the addon. Would be nice, if you (and everyone) would use that instead.

Download page edited accordingly.

smile_o.gif