Sign in to follow this  
willybeef

Armed Assault..

I voted NO. I love OFP more than i love my girlfriend and I even told her so. pistols.gif

I have been waiting for this game for so long as i am sure all of you have. I suppose I made it out to be the best game ever in my mind. To me the game is nearly unplayable with all the bugs and I am usually always up in my trusty chopper which i cannot fly now.

I am still crying !!! sad_o.gif

-Ryankaplan -- We must be playing different Armed Assaults.

I voted NO. I love OFP more than i love my girlfriend and I even told her so. pistols.gif

I have been waiting for this game for so long as i am sure all of you have. I suppose I made it out to be the best game ever in my mind. To me the game is nearly unplayable with all the bugs and I am usually always up in my trusty chopper which i cannot fly now.

those are your specs?

Intel Core 2 duo 6700, 2 Gigs Ram, Asus m/b, X1900XTX graphics, 4 X 200Gig hdd.

If ARMA don't run better with those specs, i will definatly cry.

All that ruins the game is how the mouse moves.

Like alot people said its kinda laggy, in OFP its faster and more fluid/smooth. Choppers are the other reason.

The one gripe I have is that the "hold run" key, when held, makes you walk

Yes that annoys me as well, so I double press left shift and it toggles it so that the hold run key makes you run and you walk as default, RTFM wink_o.gif

I´ll await the first couple of patches/addons before laying final judgement. Atm, in it's current state, Arma is just too little too late - considering that 5 years have passed since the initial release.

Redbird33

aka

Satchel

I think this poll is asking the wrong question.

"Was ArmA worth the early release to apease the fans?"

I think it is, just because it gives mod makers a head start. ArmA shows a good engine, and a lot of improvements, but it just isn't polished. Finaly got a chance to play it, and I must say the worst parts to far are:

* Mouse input feels "spongey" unless I turn my settings down to low.

* The freelook system is very rough. I think Red Orchestra is the best, right now.

* Player movement and camera movement needs to be looked at heavily. It's one of the most important imersion factors.

* Helicopters. I think that dead horse has been totaly beaten on this forum. tounge2.gif

The one gripe I have is that the "hold run" key, when held, makes you walk

Yes that annoys me as well, so I double press left shift and it toggles it so that the hold run key makes you run and you walk as default, RTFM wink_o.gif

And nobody stops you to remap your keyboard to an OFP-like layout.

I remapped Q as crouch and E as run (though by now I mostly use double-Shift to switch); for leaning I used expoited the diffrent german keyboard layout (left-SHIFT - < - Y - X - C ...), so I lean with < and X (Y = prone, C = stand).

Now I just have to figure out whether I can map crouch and stand on the same key to toggle between crouch and stand instead of using different keys to get it even more OFP-alike...

Player movements and momentum would be the last thing I expect for a game to simulate, since they are probaly the hardest to get right.

I edited that one for you - adding momentum to player models is requested again and again in many games by many people (e.g. Americas Army), to get rid of stupid close quarter strafing battles (=> exploiting connection delays to avoid getting hit).

Either you have Shader/Post on Very High, draw Distance set to some ridiculous level or there is something very wrong with your PC

E

I voted yes because I remember what OFP was when it launched and what it became.  The potential for ArmA is enormous.

I just have one request Placebo, please let the devs know that anything they can do to improve the graphic performance as soon as possible will be GREATLY appreciated.  I can barely run this game at the moment.

I have the following setup

P4 3.06 Gig processor

2.5 Gigs RAM

Asus motherboard with Nvidia SLI chipset built right into it

2 x Nvidia 6600 PCIe video cards in SLI mode.

My typical FPS is 20, less if I'm near the woods.  All AA, shadows, and AS are turned off.

I'm running the patched German version.

Edited to add - I can only push ArmA_Mark to 2400 by turning most of the graphics down or even off. I'm running it at 1024x768.

All I can say about ArmA is that I'm disappointed. The graphics are nice but the game runs like crap even at low settings and the game is all-in-all not very fun to play with the various changes made in the keyboard commands, flight models, action menus, loading menus, and everything else.

Edit: And in it's current state it was most definitely not worth the wait and it was most definitely not worth the $1000 game server I was going to colocate for it.

if i started this topic at start of ofp.

was it worth buying i can say 99.9% hell even a 100% would say yes

but arma gameplay is totaly different, this is dont mind but i feel that bis sold it as SEQUAL TO OFP not a new game

well you know... i think they´ve had too much in consideration all the feedback they´ve received regarding VBS1.

With that i mean they´ve made changes focussing into PROFESSIONAL COMBAT TRAINING instead of  PC GAMEPLAY.

As such this shouldnt have been considered a game but another simulation training for professional armys, not domestic computers.

Thats the only explanation i can figure regarding the drastic changes in gameplay they´ve made.

Anyone who uses ArmA as a way to train soldiers is working on the path to failure.

Well i never said that, im just stating some armys may have benn given BIS some feddback in that direction.

if i started this topic at start of ofp.

was it worth buying i can say 99.9% hell even a 100% would say yes but arma gameplay is totaly different, this is dont mind but i feel that bis sold it as SEQUAL TO OFP not a new game

well you know... i think they´ve had too much in consideration all the feedback they´ve received regarding VBS1.

With that i mean they´ve made changes focussing into PROFESSIONAL COMBAT TRAINING instead of  PC GAMEPLAY.

As such this shouldnt have been considered a game but another simulation training for professional armys, not domestic computers.

Thats the only explanation i can figure regarding the drastic changes in gameplay they´ve made.

The military doesnt use OPF or Arma to teach soldiers how to hold and fire a rifle or throw a handgrenade, just dont go there. Any decisions made to improve the gameplay were not made with that in mind imo, i dont see any drastic changes and any changes to make the game play more tactically and closer to RL should be welcome by most people here, you might be using the wrong software if you like to run & gun in confined spaces..

OPF version 1.0 didnt even have playable MP, and shooting in burst or full auto made it impossible to hit anything. It was toned down later since the a.i. could put a 3 round burst on you over 300 meters. OPF was loved by most fans because it was the most "realistic" war game ever, after 5 years they had to increase the dificulty a little to keep it interesting. (ok, so the choppers went wrong but will hopefully be looked into..)

I already saw deathmatching and flagfighting in full auto with crosshairs, if other people can handle it so should you. There are complaints that seem legitimate to me (performance, bugs, features) but some of you are making a big deal out of nothing confused_o.gif .

I've been reading alot and most "older" members seem to like it even if there are issues and/or more was expected.

Stealth 3 and a couple more members have stated the same points i stated before and they are right...

and this isnt about control layouts. is about how by using those the feeling transmits to the game or viceversa.

If Bis really fixes all the things we´ve said then ill be glad to open a thread and let my public flagelation, but right know its just a mess.

If Bis really fixes all the things we´ve said ...

I hope they don't 'fix' all the things you (as in you, Stealth3 and others) want to see changed, as some of those are not bugs and there might be other players that like these features the way they are (probably with some fine tuning, e.g. soldiers momentum).

all they had to do was make arma same as ofp with better graphics and make it so you cant corner camp like in ofp and every1 would have been happy

I have one philosophy - If it aint broke don't fix it.

OFP was and still is the best game ever made !!

They could have taken OFP and just improved on it and fixed the problems that we had there.

I have been playing with the ECP add on and it is definitely the best all round game ever made. Show me another game that does what OFP can do. Battlefield 2 does not come close.

Armed Assault has been worth every single day of waiting over the past years. It's a great piece of software.

There's some childhood diseases that need curing, but when I compare ArmA 1.01 to OFP 1.0 ... you ain't seriously tellin' me ArmA has more bugs or performs worse. I have to question the sanity of those stating such things.

As far as it concerns me, I am happy like a kid on xmas because ArmA is simply OFP with up2date graphics and a lot of improvements regarding the OFP engine itself. ( The first person telling me something to the effect of "This and that ego-shooter has way better graphics" will be beaten with a rotten trout, since there's no way you can compare those tiny-level games with merely 100 meters view distance with Armed Assault. )

Bottom line: With Armed Assault we have a rock-solid base for everything to come. May it be the coming BIS patches, or may it be the tremendous amount of community work that is already 'ante portas'

Ladies and Gentlemen, there are GREAT times laying ahead of us. All the great people I have encountered over the past years while playing OFP will know what I am talking about. Just wait for those ded. servers to be fired up.

And to anyone who is utterly dissatisfied with just about every aspect of the game, just bin it, eat it, or give it away for charity.

Armed Assault has been worth every single day of waiting over the past years. It's a great piece of software.

There's some childhood diseases that need curing, but when I compare ArmA 1.01 to OFP 1.0 ... you ain't seriously tellin' me ArmA has more bugs or performs worse. I have to question the sanity of those stating such things.

As far as it concerns me, I am happy like a kid on xmas because ArmA is simply OFP with up2date graphics and a lot of improvements regarding the OFP engine itself. ( The first person telling me something to the effect of "This and that ego-shooter has way better graphics" will be beaten with a rotten trout, since there's no way you can compare those tiny-level games with merely 100 meters view distance with Armed Assault. )

Bottom line: With Armed Assault we have a rock-solid base for everything to come. May it be the coming BIS patches, or may it be the tremendous amount of community work that is already 'ante portas'

Ladies and Gentlemen, there are GREAT times laying ahead of us. All the great people I have encountered over the past years while playing OFP will know what I am talking about. Just wait for those ded. servers to be fired up.

And to anyone who is utterly dissatisfied with just about every aspect of the game, just bin it, eat it, or give it away for charity.

you have my support man, lets us hope bis fix most of the small issus

btw did anyone notice, 5 years b4 when we say that we like OFP we become a weirdo(of some sort)

now that many ppl dislike arma and we like it, we turns into a weirdo again

Quote[/b] ]Stealth 3 and a couple more members have stated the same points i stated before and they are right...

and this isnt about control layouts. is about how by using those the feeling transmits to the game or viceversa.

If Bis really fixes all the things we´ve said then ill be glad to open a thread and let my public flagelation, but right know its just a mess.

stop yelling non-constructive nonsence then, simply state what you dont like, what bug should be fixed etc in a more constructive way and let bis to fix them, instead of "no this is not right, that is worngggg, i hate you bis i hate you all!!!1111!"

(not offending you, anyway i am sure you will say that you never said anything like that, but now i am telling you that you sounds excatly like one) confused_o.gif

They could have taken OFP and just improved on it and fixed the problems that we had there.

I have been playing with the ECP add on and it is definitely the best all round game ever made. Show me another game that does what OFP can do. Battlefield 2 does not come close.

Even Mother Nature disagrees with this philosophy and we call it Evolution.

And that's what ArmA is over OFP, an evolutionary step - probably not a quantum leap, but way ahead of OFP in pretty much every aspect, graphics, sound, AI, moddability (well, this one will have to be proved, e.g. AI),...

Yes it has some problems in its current state but it is by far not as bad as some people (want?) to make it sound...

Regarding OFP the best game ever made, you might want to be more precise, OFP+Resistance+v1.96+ECP+DXDLL+WGL+MapFact+CoC+FinMod+BAS+RHS+CTI+.....

Even Mother Nature disagrees with this philosophy and we call it Evolution.

And that's what ArmA is over OFP, an evolutionary step - probably not a quantum leap, but way ahead of OFP in pretty much every aspect, graphics, sound, AI, moddability (well, this one will have to be proved, e.g. AI),...

Yes it has some problems in its current state but it is by far not as bad as some people (want?) to make it sound...

Regarding OFP the best game ever made, you might want to be more precise, OFP+Resistance+v1.96+ECP+DXDLL+WGL+MapFact+CoC+FinMod+BAS+RHS+CTI+.....

and the list goes on and on..........

you really hit the nail you know tounge2.gif

edit: you know what, i gave up on counting how many times that the very same person have stated that they are "very upset/ disapponited blah blah blah" and sounds like that "BIS is over, its gone! they failed, they faileddd!!!11! run! run like hell, dont look back.........btw i like bf2 more : ) " confused_o.gif WTF!?

Clarification : OFP GOTY with 1.96 patch. Best game (multiplayer especially) ever.

The core part is amazing , ECP and all addons are like cherry on top of ice cream - if you indeed like cherries.

I dont see why people would "want" to make it sound bad. I have been checking AA's website every day for months for a hint on the release date. If i wanted to sabotage it then why do that ? I am just really upset / disappointed. Thats all.

Quote[/b] ]btw did anyone notice, 5 years b4 when we say that we like OFP we become a wiredo(of some sort)

now that many ppl dislike arma and we like it, we turns into a wiredo again

I'm proud to have been a part of the OFP community for 5 years. Sure I've played most of the mainstream games that were released during this period of time, but frankly, OFP has been the ONLY one that I kept playing and playing and playing. Other games were played and then put into the shelf as dust catchers.

Here's what my crystal sphere says: As of now there are many people rushing to the stores, buying ArmA, playing it for as long as some other game is released, just because it is out there and they use to play what is released. A vast number of those people will disappear again. Most likely faster than you can say "Doh".

After this first period, the ArmA community will, step by step, become what the OFP community has always been: A hard working, fun having, dedicated bunch of addicted weirdos, taking this software to its maximum possibilites. biggrin_o.gif

BIS underestimated the minimum specs and reccomended and anybody who says this is not true is a liar!

the minimum was

2ghz pc

512mb ram

nvidiafx series

all of which i used to have, but i changed to a;

4000+amd 64

1gb 2x512mb dual memory

6600 card and it still runs so slow....

i wish i knew what specs the testers had ??!?!

dual processor?

10gb ram ?

1gb gfx card?    bis should of done the market research and this shows they didnt,   i love ofp so much and i was hoping for an upgrade but this is like a complete new game and this makes me feel this was mis sold as a sequal to ofp

maybe i havent give arma a good enough chance but i still feel robbed , specialy when i upgaded my pc to run it and 1000's of other gamers too! stole my dads dvd drive just to run it and i know people with pc's twice as good as mine with 25fps max!

i can tell you now , this wont ever be a goty unlike ofp. i was really wishing for another great release from bis, maybe with updates things might work better and all that but we will see

also .. does anybody notice the harrier flys like a house brick? and doesnt have VTOL which is what distinguishes a harrier , they might aswell thrown an a10 in

BIS underestimated the minimum specs and reccomended and anybody who says this is not true is a liar!

the minimum was

2ghz pc

512mb ram

nvidiafx series

all of which i used to have, but i changed to a;

4000+amd 64

1gb 2x512mb dual memory

6600 card and it still runs so slow....

i wish i knew what specs the testers had ??!?!

dual processor?

10gb ram ?

1gb gfx card?    bis should of done the market research and this shows they didnt,   i love ofp so much and i was hoping for an upgrade but this is like a complete new game and this makes me feel this was mis sold as a sequal to ofp

maybe i havent give arma a good enough chance but i still feel robbed , specialy when i upgaded my pc to run it and 1000's of other gamers too! stole my dads dvd drive just to run it and i know people with pc's twice as good as mine with 25fps max!

i can tell you now , this wont ever be a goty unlike ofp. i was really wishing for another great release from bis, maybe with updates things might work better and all that but we will see

also .. does anybody notice the harrier flys like a house brick? and doesnt have VTOL which is what distinguishes a harrier , they might aswell thrown an a10 in

i am using a crap old 9800pro together with 2500+ and just 768MB of ram on a nforce 2 without even think of overclocking them, it still runs with 20+ fps under almost all missions, yes it doesnt look all that good if i put it together with new rigs but hey! it is playable and amzaingly smooth

are you sure that its not your settings? or are you just simply too lazy to go for a tweak?

if you bunch of ppl really like to complainting that much and just didnt want to help finding a solution then i think you guys must be in the wrong community

dont be such a jackass , im asking for peoples opions not telling them what to say , maybe you need to learn how to read and then ur in the wrong community, you should be at school!

all i simply wanted to do was to tell people how i feel and get their feelings, simple huh? ... ya wud of thought so

dont be such a jackass , im asking for peoples opions not telling them what to say , maybe you need to learn how to read and then ur in the wrong community, you should be at school!

all i simply wanted to do was to tell people how i feel and get their feelings, simple huh? ... ya wud of thought so

I understand what you mean and i agree in some points.

I think ARMA needs a good (very good) spec to handle game on all very hight settings and still run smooth.

i play with very low settings on all options and 800x600. crazy_o.gif

My specs:

Intel P4, 3.0Ghz

2Gddr 400

Radeon 9700pro 128

HD: 80G

and i have 20 fps average.

I ASK!

How Much WILL I HAVE WITH one of THESE BELLOW

opcao_pc.jpg

There is a reason why 505 is releasing the game In Feb. The game isnt ready, Bis launched it in CZ and let their CZ friends help out beta testing just like OFP. The Germans were smart (dumb) enough to release the game too soon. Hell they just wanted the money quick, they dont care if BIS have to work their asses off working 24/7 with patches. By the time 505ers get their game ArmA will be what it we all expected it to be.

You guys are still playing the beta, if BIS didnt sign the papers with German companies they would avoided this flaming on them.

Cain - A Dedicated OFP player in his wait on ArmA!

all i simply wanted to do was to tell people how i feel and get their feelings, simple huh?  ... ya wud of thought so

I understand what you mean and i agree in some points.

I think ARMA needs a good (very good) spec to handle game on all very hight settings and still run smooth.

i play with very low settings on all options and 800x600.  crazy_o.gif

My specs:

Intel P4, 3.0Ghz

2Gddr 400

Radeon 9700pro 128

HD: 80G

and i have 20 fps average.

I ASK!

How Much WILL I HAVE WITH one of THESE BELLOW

http://bravocompany.home.sapo.pt/upgrade/opcao_pc.jpg

well i have been working so thats not really that much problem for me, so selling one of my leg, 1/3 of my liver, some of my fat as green fuel and such then i should be able to make enought money for such rig

btw did you know i was using a PII450 TNT2 64MB with 256 SDRAM to run ofp when it cames out? untill 3 years from now i changed my rig to my current one(was using 9500pro by then, but get busted, added ram into 1GB, but anorder 256 MB get wasted) so your problem doesnt seems that big to me