fuc847

Here is a Performance Tweak for very low-end comps

i have a 9800 pro, 1g ram, 3200+ xp amd and i can run the game fairly well (~25-35fps) on mid-low settings

anyway the tweak is:

go to documents folder/arma/**profile (open this file in notepad)

find: "SceneComplexity". I found out that the number represents the max number of polygons shown on screen, so the lower the number the faster the game runs.

So setting this to aorund 100000, will make objects in the game use a lower polygon model, hence, run faster.

BUT, big BUT, doing so will make objects disappear in the distance more frequenlty and also more LOD pop-ins are more frequent.

Now, that said, people who HAVE good comps and wants LESS pop-ins can set this value higher (dont set it too high or else no one in the world can run it smoothly)

What I personally want is able to set all objects to use the lowest polygon LOD model but NOT make them disappear in the distance, i think this would be the best quality/performance tradeoff for low-end comps

Anohter tweak , not performance related, is IF you want a wider viewing angle (FOV), then times BOTH the fov values by a certain number. for me, i use a 16:10 widescreen and i wanted a larger FOV so my values are:

fovTop=0.900000;

fovLeft=1.440000;

ANohter variable i sitll need to experiemnt with is figuring what "TerrainGrids" variable does in the config file .

Terrain grid setting is for terrain detail. Same as in OFP I would imagine.

you can also use this file to force higher settings. But I noticed texture detail does NOTHING it looks the same in very high as very low huh.gif

My computer isn't that great, but at these specs:

Turion 64 x2 Dual core rated at 2.4Ghz

Radeon X1600 512MB

2GB ram

160GB HDD (don't think it's very important?)

at what settings will be best to run this game with the tweak? I'm scared to increase my settings to very high. I can run BF2 at highest settings, but this game is way more extreme than what my garbagebox can handle.

Try the ArmaMark.

Helped me to figure out best performance.

It is posted here somewhere in the forum...

Well lets see here I have,

2.4Ghz Pentium 4

512MB RDram

Radeon 9600 AIW Pro 128MB

Win XP Home

Audigy 2 sound

After patching the game to 1.01 Im getting about 25-30 frames a sec with settings at 1024X768 32hz and most settings on normal,view distance at about 1094.Of course AA and Antis is off but the game looks great.

Yup but I do know Ill need a new PC eventually.Time to build that Dual core rig after xmas. biggrin_o.gif

Ever tried running ArmA in a 320x240 window? (start to get some fps with my FX5200;)

Next step 160x120 hahahaha:)

Arma shortcut -window -x=320 -y=240

and patch the cfg files as mentioned in the topic post

Anyway, this windowed ArmA is perhaps a possibilty for e.g. widescreen hires notebook users who have trouble running ArmA on the native res of their tft screen

How to improve your FPS on Windows XP:

1) Disable all non-essential services using Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services. I have created a batch file which temporarily stops the services I don't need, basically it contains NET STOP followed by the name of service:-

net stop iisadmin

net stop mssqlserver

net stop "asp.net state service"

To find out what services are running from the command prompt, you can type NET START.

2) At the start prompt, go to run..., type MSCONFIG and find out what programs you have loading in the background. Disable any programs you don't need such as CTHELPER.EXE, skype, msnmgr etc etc. Don't reboot just yet...

3) Controversial, but works for me - in your graphics card admin tool (e.g. catalyst) turn VSYNC *OFF*

4) Defrag your hard disk (O & O defrag does it well, better than the standard defrag tool.)

5) Change the ArmA desktop shortcut to tell ArmA to use more memory

if you have 2 gb of ram and you want ArmA to use it, leaving 512mb for windows to do its duty, alter the shortcut to:

"c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma.exe" -maxmem=1536

6) Reboot, and play ArmA.

Well lets see here I have,

2.4Ghz Pentium 4

512MB RDram

Radeon 9600 AIW Pro 128MB

Win XP Home

Audigy 2 sound

After patching the game to 1.01 Im getting about 25-30 frames a sec with settings at 1024X768 32hz and most settings on normal,view distance at about 1094.Of course AA and Antis is off but the game looks great.

Yup but I do know Ill need a new PC eventually.Time to build that Dual core rig after xmas. biggrin_o.gif

Gez!! that's bloody nice to hear!!!

mine:-

2.9Ghz p4

1.0 gig ram

ati x300se pro 128mb card!!

res 800x600

but mine was unplayable?huh.gif

need new card-and goes to show u dont need top of the range!! yay.gif

bloody hell it works, around 10fps gain on 1024X768

well i guess arma have the same old problem on not using all all your ram like in ofp

thx for the tip

Quote[/b] ]5) Change the ArmA desktop shortcut to tell ArmA to use more memory

if you have 2 gb of ram and you want ArmA to use it, leaving 512mb for windows to do its duty, alter the shortcut to:

Well, i got 2 gigs of ram and tried the 1536 maxmem's but it

ended up in a crash to desktop after a while of playing.

A second time the game has just frozen up.

I didn't experience this when not using maxmem before.

In the german forums (morphicon) i've read ppl having same

issues with maxmem equal and over 1024.

Now it sounds logical to me, since even after using enditall

to shut down most useless services there's something running

in the background, + what is reserved for the graphics and if those require more than 512it will most likely end up in a ctd.

So the maxmem parameter should be used wise and not just

out of the wristle.

~S~ CD

I've tried ArmA on two different XP partitions: one clean (only stuff ArmA needs), and one being my regular work setup (with LOTS of drivers and TSRs loaded all the time).

The clean partition gets an 80% higher ArmaMark than my regular one.

I also can use a maxmem of 1536 on the clean partition (I got 2GB of RAM), whereas on the regular one even 1024 will crash it (even after stopping most unnecessary stuff).

So - the moral: if you have a marginal system just set up a dedicated partition for ArmA, and you'll be a lot happier...

Quote[/b] ]5) Change the ArmA desktop shortcut to tell ArmA to use more memory

Well, i got 2 gigs of ram and tried the 1536 maxmem's but it

ended up in a crash to desktop after a while of playing.

A second time the game has just frozen up.

I didn't experience this when not using maxmem before.

In the german forums (morphicon) i've read ppl having same

issues with maxmem equal and over 1024.

Now it sounds logical to me, since even after using enditall

to shut down most useless services there's something running

in the background, + what is reserved for the graphics and if those require more than 512it will most likely end up in a ctd.

So the maxmem parameter should be used wise and not just

out of the wristle.

~S~ CD

did you use -nomap?

i assign 512 to arma and left 128 for windows, both run smoothly and never have a single ctd

Quote[/b] ]did you use -nomap?

i assign 512 to arma and left 128 for windows, both run smoothly and never have a single ctd

Are you sure that -nomap would have any effect on a plain

no addons game?

I mean -nomap parameter in ofp was standing for only loading

that addons into memory, which were really being used.

I can't imagine that it could help anything in that case which

we're discussing here.

~S~ CD

Quote[/b] ]did  you use -nomap?

Are you sure that -nomap would have any effect on a plain

no addons game?

I mean -nomap parameter in ofp was standing for only loading

that addons into memory, which were really being used.

I can't imagine that it could help anything in that case which

we're discussing here.

~S~ CD

hum you are right i think just have a search on Biki

but there should be someway to tweak both hardward and Arma itself to run them both smooth, how about lower the -maxmem value?

Hi everyone! 

I've a unique problem with arma armed assault, unique means I've searched a lot about it but perhaps no one else have incountered it yet. 

Some addons, including official AV-8B harrier have a problem. The model disappears, some parts of it carry on appearing and disappearing. 

Can anyone help me please.