Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Call to all MP Coop Mission Makers Out there!

(mod question: could somebody pin this thread?)

Dear ArmA Mission Makers,

There seem to be a bug with tanks and other vehicles when missions are ran on Dedicated servers, compared to when the mission is ran on the ingame server.

The description of the bug and workaround is over here: bis throubleshooting thread

I Kindly request, aswell as urge all mission makers to take the bug into account, as it breaks nearly every mission that has tanks/other vehicles included, when it is running on a dedicated server!

The workaround will not break your mission if the bug is patched by BIS...

I will release a bare mission where you can see examples of how to put the driver, gunner, commanders manually in, for those that wish to see how... Probably tonight.

Thank you for your time, and keep up the great work!

Example Mission:

Example by Sickboy (sb_at_6thSense.eu) - 6th Sense - Share the Spirit!

--------------------------

Simple example mission to show how to place units in different tanks and vehicles

with the MoveInXXX command. This way, missions ran on dedicated servers will function

more alike with when the mission is ran on an ingame server.

Tested versions did have the bug: V1.0 and V1.1

ps. I know I named the trucks etank_(number), and not truck, not of any importance.

It is an example from how to put the units in tanks, you can do it for single tanks or for in groups as in the example, make sure you name your tanks uniquely and properly and that you put the guys in the right tanks with in the init line: this MoveInGunner tankname      etc... well the example says enough if you ask me.

Simply put:

- Check the namings of the tanks

- Check the init lines of the units

- Check the ranks of the units (First driver is Highest Rank, All other drivers are 1 rank lower, gunner and commander are ranks lower aswell! this ensure that if the TL dies, the next Driver gets TL until there are no drivers anymore tounge2.gif)

Have fun!

Download:

6thSense.eu

FAQ:

Quote[/b] ]Ehrr, how did I get this mission in my editor again?
Put it in your My Documents\ArmA\yourname\MPMissions  or  My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\yourname\MPMissions

and start an editor in the multiplayer part of the game, create a new server and pick it from the list and click edit.

I was thinking of making a few missions, so I'm eagerly expecting your workaround. I read about the dedicated server - tank AI problems in another thread.

I'll happily give your workaround a try once you've posted it  wink_o.gif .

damn i wish i'd have known this,i made a map where first objective is to attack a tank convoy..i bet the tanks don't even come on dedicated servers lol.

thanks for the headsup.

damn i wish i'd have known this,i made a map where first objective is to attack a tank convoy..i bet the tanks don't even come on dedicated servers lol.

thanks for the headsup.

NP. I already got your mission fixed on our server, if it is Operation NOVA, if you didnt change it since last release I can send you the edited version with the convoy and all already fixed up with this method.

Quote[/b] ]I'll happily give your workaround a try once you've posted it  wink_o.gif
The workaround is described, so if you know your way you can already implement it, but tonight I will have a bare mission ready which includes examples, you can aswell copy/paste the units into your mission etc and then just keep copying them for easyness smile_o.gif

ok nice 1,send it over m8 i'll remove the old one from all the download links

xfade23@ntlworld.com

You've got mail m8 smile_o.gif

If you wish to have a way to test your missions on online servers etc, just drop by our server (well, website first so we can verify you for the password etc). Past days around ~12 players online on 1 coop server.

As more ppl are entering the community and getting the game, it will grow quite rapidly!

So also bigger missions can be checked with proper amounts of players.

If you continue making missions, I could give you access to upload missions to our server, then you can voteadmin yourself if noone is around on the servers and check them out how they run on deddyserver etc.

ok i've replaced the old file with the new one on all sites.

can't play online yet sickboy cos i'm using my brothers german version to make the maps,he has no internet,i'll have to wait a few weeks to get online.thanks though.

ok i've replaced the old file with the new one on all sites.

can't play online yet sickboy cos i'm using my brothers german version to make the maps,he has no internet,i'll have to wait a few weeks to get online.thanks though.

Ok m8, if you use your brothers version as he has no internet at the moment, what is the problem in going online with it?

Well anyway, that's you guys own decision anyway smile_o.gif

(ah wait, I guess you mean you do it on his computer, nvm biggrin_o.gif)

Quote[/b] ]*voting for sickboy for #1 ArmA-workaholic*  thumbs-up.gif
Haha, and I vote Caahl for great All-round ArmA player yay smile_o.gif

As promised, added an example mission download to the first post. Goodluck!

*voting for sickboy for #1 ArmA-workaholic*  thumbs-up.gif

That should read Armaholic xmas_o.gif

Great work Sickboy, thanks for the test mission smile_o.gif

I was trying to test the problem with created vehicles.

_vehicle = "M1Abrams" createVehicle _position

_driver = "SoldierWCrew" createvehicle _position

_gunner = "SoldierWCrew" createvehicle _position

_driver moveinDriver _vehicle

_gunner moveinGunner _vehicle

_gunner setrank "PRIVATE"

_driver setrank "CORPORAL"

_grp = group _driver

_grp addWaypoint [ position wmarker, 0]

_driver setspeedmode "FULL"

_gunner setCombatMode "RED"

I tried this but got a problem with moveinDriver and moveingunner, both not working

Also the addWaypoint is not working confused_o.gif

Any ideas?

I was trying to test the problem with created vehicles.

_vehicle = "M1Abrams" createVehicle _position

_driver = "SoldierWCrew" createvehicle _position

_gunner = "SoldierWCrew" createvehicle _position

_driver moveinDriver _vehicle

_gunner moveinGunner _vehicle

_gunner setrank "PRIVATE"

_driver setrank "CORPORAL"

_grp = group _driver

_grp addWaypoint [ position wmarker, 0]

_driver setspeedmode "FULL"

_gunner setCombatMode "RED"

I tried this but got a problem with moveinDriver and moveingunner, both not working

Also the addWaypoint is not working confused_o.gif

Any ideas?

"arma.exe-server=broken"

Our guys at SES have been testing lots of commands with no luck, well plenty of luck if hosted locally, but as soon as its run with "-server" its all broken.

Looks like the need for a working ArmADedicatedServer.exe is becoming more important.

Im sure as soon as its ready BIS will release it, simple as that.

The frustrating thing is, we all understand there was always differences in the way missions need to be made for hosted remotely, but even when the mission makers are going to all the extra trouble, these things are still not working yet.

This belongs in Mission Editing.

Moving.