Sign in to follow this  
coderdfox

Navigation Map Ideas

So we all know that the special edition comes with a map. From what we can see in some PR releases the map looks very nice (PR pics for the special edition have a map in the back ground, "Huge A1 map of Sahrani") But we don't know if thats the real map.

But that leads to a question or a project. Having the map view in game is great. It updates, tell you where you are, all the good things. But wouldn't it be cool if we were able to get a nice color map (Special Edition one) along with a tactical map as well?

Now I not asking or demanding a tactical map from BI or its pubs, but more of a cool project to do (Of course if you could print out your missions map with all the tactical data would be cool). This group or person could line up the grids and print out a cool map.

Anyways its just a cool idea, and I'm wondering what your thought were about it, how could we go about this, and if we really want one?

Sorry if the title is misleading guess its should of been called "Navigation Map ideas"

could you get a copy off the net??? someone post it up there or something like that. maybe someone could get a collection going and then u send them a prepaid envolope with some money to cover the costs sorta thing. oh yeah im not volunteering lol

well I think we all could download it and print it. Most....most people have access to a printer. But hey if someone want to sell it, go for it! Fans will buy I think.

A printed "tactical" island map would be ideal, much more useful than a colour Google Earth satalite-view map.

I'm hoping they at least provide a PDF file with a map of Sahrani island, like they did for OFP (everon.pdf, kolgujev.pdf, malden.pdf). Those maps were very detailed and were suitable for printing.

A coloured variation, like the William Porter geographic mountain height map, could be useful too, but a more detailed one.

An map printing/exporting utility would be useful, so that all new islands which are created could also be printed too.

I would have liked the in-game map to include a bit of colour in it to highlight mountain regions. It was a bit tricky to read the contours by themselves. A bit like this one with the green shaded regions.

I would have liked the in-game map to include a bit of colour in it to highlight mountain regions. It was a bit tricky to read the contours by themselves. A bit like this one with the green shaded regions.

Thats is what I'm talking about!

intersting...

i posted basically the same thing ..but about if a PDF version of the sarhani map to be included on the CD/DVD, like the other 4 maps in operation flashpoint. got locked..dunno why.

hopefully this one stays open ...

anyways. like the initial thread starter, i too like what your talking about. a bonus large map would be great. and i mean LARGE MAP! even if it would cost more for the game.

i went to kinkos copiers and supersized /laminated the OFP PDF maps... pretty big in size, ...(i think 36"X48" ..? have to check again) when making missions, i find using a large map very helpful, to see where i want the action to take place with surrounding areas quickly..(rather than having to scroll in/out mouse around up down left right, trying to see whats available, and constantly going back and forth between the areas during planning in game). also when the group comes over to play, its fun to sit at the table, print out the town and surrounding area, we're about to occupy/mission, (favorite towns, i have laminated so that we can make directions of advance and tactically go thru what is known, unknown, resistance, and the situation...with dry erase markers) then we all head the the computers and log onto comms.

its pretty fun and involving. with some of the guys being ex military, it gets intersting watching how these guys react..in game, and physiologically.

like said before, maps in PDF again or LARGE pre-printed maps for ARMED ASSAULT would be great.

It wouldn't be that much trouble to make such pdf or image by yourself, that way you would also get just the result you want (size, amount of details visible). Either by combining screenshots from the map view or using the topography command if it's in ArmA. You could even have a color scale for height by layering a shot from Visitor on top of it.

I remember your previous maps on CD question post. It seems to me that a lot of the posts being locked are ones asking questions or confirmation about what is in the game before the game is even out and requiring speculation to reply. I'm not justifying it, but I suspect if you had worded it as a discussion topic rather than requesting confirmation, it would not have been locked. That seems to be the trend and there's no chance to rectify it after it's locked.

I like your ideas about printing out particular towns & it's surrounds and your sitting at the table planning stage.

I like your ideas about printing out particular towns & it's surrounds and your sitting at the table planning stage.

YES we are a different breed, us OFP/ArmA players.

Yeah the idea of taking screen shots could work and it would be alot of work LOL. But something like that would be cool! or even a flip book, kinda like the ones here in the states for driving around a state: Roads, hills, towns, ect. Maybe a script could be put together to automate it, The island seems quite big now!

Maybe this is something a third party can make, and sell if they wish. Plus I didn't realize there was PDF's on the original disks. Guess I never really look at the disks, Install and GO.

Does anyone know if this ever happen in OFP, or even a hit at it?

I don´t see a reason why BIS shouldn´t include PDF´s like they already did for OFP.

I wouldn´t expect a high rise in quality or sat-like imagery though as BIS is pretty loaded with more important work right now and it´s up to some user with too much time on his hands to rework the included map.

Shouldn´t be a problem for them though to have the PDF´s at A1 size on the DVD.

I dont really see this tread as a "BI should". They can only go so far.

What would a good map have in it? What would be a great way to display this? say book form or wall poster?

ah! i see what ya mean dr.eyeball!

from that standpoint, i should have worded it better from a "do we know if...? question to a " if possible, i would like to see a... " statment. guess that explains the rough responses i got.

(end of hi-jackin) :P

its kinda fun, when friends who have never seen OFP, or know whats up and ask "where is MALDEN/EVERON??" never heard of it! while looking at my maps. i then tell them "all your life you never heard about the islands of malden, and everon?huh.gif that was the closest we got to WWIII, back in the 80s ..you dont remember the cold war?? then i tell them "what happened" as if it actually did take place. they freak out about it. not knowing anything about this juicy cold war subject.

then i tell em its a game. thats what usually entices them to play. love dem maps!

In OFP there was a nice code to type ingame that was creating a map for the island you are in , that could be then seen out of the game.

I wonder if this is always possible in arma.

EDIT : oops haven't seen that Metal Heart mentionned this already

In OFP there was a nice code to type ingame that was creating a map for the island you are in , that could be then seen out of the game.

I wonder if this is always possible in arma.

EDIT : oops haven't seen that Metal Heart mentionned this already

REALLY?huh.gif?? wow things you learn

Here is the code to do it:

topography - (From OFP: Resistance version 1.75 and above, you must play with a TERRAIN DETAIL setting of VERY LOW for this to work). This isn't a cheat but you might appreciate the results. Type during gameplay or while in the mission editor. This will create a file in your hard drive's root directory, named island_name.emf, containing a vector representation of the map of the island on which you are currently playing or editing. Note: these files are very large.

lets see if they include this in ArmA

It'd be very nice if any out-of-the-game map was vector-based art, something you cannnot do by stitching screenshots.