Sign in to follow this  
The_Raptor

Fav Assault Rifles

No, there is no minigun that is used as an infantry weapon.

The force of the recoil would prevent accurate aiming, plus you would have to lug around a ton of ammunition and a heavy high-voltage power source to operate the minigun.

Let's leave stuff like that to Arnold and the various Quake-based games...

Pardon my ignorance, but do miniguns play any role in any army? If not, then why are they made... certainly not for personal use.

The only use i can see for them is a defensive weapon, but we already have high caliber mounted machine guns for that job.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vir @ Feb. 05 2002,10:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pardon my ignorance, but do miniguns play any role in any army?<span id='postcolor'>

The door gunners on chopper like 'em, and they work just fine for Spectre gunships.

those are chainguns/vulcans though, arent they?

well in veitnam they used the predator in foxholes. i was just wondering if it would be humanly possible for a large guy to be able to lug the gun and ammo around.

btw try this URL instead of the old one, cuzz the old one dont work either and check out the Chrome predator, it looks preetty sweet

Besides the gun and ammo, there's also a high-voltage power source required to get the barrels rotating. Imagine lugging a car battery or two around with all the other stuff, and you get the idea.

Even if you could carry all that crap, the 2000+ rounds you had would probably be gone in about a minute of sustained fire.

Tyler

ahh the minigun debate when will it end..All we got to do is simple physics to work out the idea of a minigun for common battle field use is bloody usless unless you wanna escape quickly.