Sign in to follow this  
colt

Paging Quincy M.E.

When ArmA is finally released and we all playing our virtual wars, any chance of another postmortem by the developers?

For those that don't know, Ondrej Spanel and Marek Spanel wrote an article laying bare the development and aftermath of BIS' OFP.

It was a very interesting and insightful article and can be found here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20011219/spanel_pfv.htm

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in reading somthing similar for Armed Assault, seeing how it

progressed from an inital idea through all the various design decisions that seem to have taken it beyond OFP 1.5.

Not to mention the inside scoop on the publishing issue.

Edit: Actually, this would probably be more appropriate in the BIS General forum. Could a Mod move this please? Cheers.

Wow, thanks for the link Colt.

An interesting article. It really reminds me of a high school project reflection, where students look back to evaluate their problems and teamwork. It's really a shame that BI wasn't able to flesh out OFP's full multiplayer potential. But that's something left for ArmA and game2.

One of the most interesting parts of the article is that it details some of the friction that occurred between BI and their publishers. Many people were curious about that.

Thanks for that link, great read.

You can see some of those previous ideas and issues are still being used and fought with Arma.

I can understand better why a publisher has'nt been found with the history of not finding one that suits BIS. It is nice to see they want a publisher that won't take over the game, and make it something different.

You can hope Arma comes out sooner than OFP did when compared to development time needed.

Nice to see they look at the things that went wrong, and understand them hoping to improve on them.

Quote[/b] ] "The seagull is not flying. What should I do?"

biggrin_o.gif . It explains alot, for example: They say some of the models and textures could have been done better. They were a small team and during development they saw good stuff become a little.. aged.

If they had more time the whole game could have matched Nogova graphics but 7/8 years would have been too much.

Its interesting read for all the passionates out there smile_o.gif .