Sign in to follow this  
Goodsport

How much was OFP influnced by...

Considering that the first edition of Twilight: 2000was released in 1984 (with the 2nd Edition released in 1990 and Version 2.2 released in 1993) and Red Storm Rising was first published in 1986, how much was OFP (which takes place in 1985) influenced by either or both of these?

-G

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lord Talis @ Jan. 24 2002,21:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Right. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

So neither of those influenced OFP in any way? sad.gif

-G

Somehow, I doubt many people on this forum have ever even heard of Twilight 2000, let alone the developers.

For those that don't know, T2000 was a pencil-and-paper RPG about paramilitary life in a post WW3 world.

t2kv1.jpg

So THATS what inspired Fallout. Only "serious" rpg I ever liked.

Damn good series.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SimplyCosmic @ Jan. 24 2002,22:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Somehow, I doubt many people on this forum have ever even heard of Twilight 2000, let alone the developers.

For those that don't know, T2000 was a pencil-and-paper RPG about paramilitary life in a post WW3 world.

t2kv1.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

and it totally sucked ass.....

Perhaps members of Bohemia Interactive have played Twilight: 2000 and/or read Red Storm Rising sometime in the mid-late 1980's (translated into Czech, of course)? wink.gif

-G

Damn! I used to love Twilight 2000...ah, I miss the free city of Krakow....

How much has it infuenced OFP? Not very much, I would think...I mean, there are some common themes due to what they are both about, but I think that's about it...

Given that OFP isn't an RPG or post WWIII setting it seems a bit of a jump. I think just a general sense of history and cold war paranoia that kept people like Tom Clancy and Microprose in business.

Almost every modern sim has some version of Russians as bad guys. The only thing OFP does is put a sense of scale and detail into it. Do seem to remember the Twilight computer game did attempt to give you hands on for lots of weapons and vehicles as well though.

Well seeing as at that time they (Czech republic) were under the communist heel (the 'velvet revolution' happened 4-5 years after those games were released , from what i understand computer games were very hard to get hold of (+ illegal i think)

So the guys at Bohemia got by with a lack of games by programming their own (thats how they got into computer devolopment) on smuggled computers- thats how i seem to remember it in a PC-gamer article.

You gotta respect guys willing to risk imprisonment to make computer games  smile.gif !

and now look at them

hell they should make this into a film tounge.gif