Sign in to follow this  
galbaldy

Infrared searchlights

The Intermat website explains that with the anti IR coating your IR signiture should actually match abient temp thus you "blend in" it's not about reducing all blackbody radiation, it's about having the same IR signature as the hills and trees.

I imagine this works better in say Iraq than Antarctica.

The only way I can see that working is with 2 layers of paint:

An inner layer which absorbs IR radiation and emits it as someting else, and an outer layer that reflects any external IR radiation (IR from the surroundings) away from the vehicle.

there is another IR thing in this game (of course, this could also be eye candy)

new_arma_01.jpg

if you look closely, there is an AN/PEQ-2 in the right rail (just over the M203 grenade launcher). It's used as an IR Pointer/illuminator when you're using Nigh Vision Goggles (because it's practically impossible to maintain a proper sight picture with NVG's/Ironsights)

Read more about the AN/PEQ-2 at Wikipedia

That certainly would be a fantastic feature for the game. Sadly, I don't think that it will be an actual gameplay feature. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

I don't think so, either. but why would they modell the PEQ on the right rail? it won't be very visible for the player (unless you're watching another player who has it). IMO, it'd be smarter to put it on the top-fron, or left rail

from ArmedAssault.eu:

Quote[/b] ]Just heard the Esports Interview, where Placebo told about Armed Assault. He told us, that we will have some dynamical destruction of buildings. Here is some of the stuff he explained:

-> We will NOT have thermal sights, the game DO use HDR lightning, so it can be modable.

I have an simple idea of how this could be implemented in game (warning: I know very little about scripting): For active IR, 1. make a light 2. Script it so that the player or AI will only see this light if a spacific veirable is met (proper gear). So basicly, its a light that can only be seen/rendered with the right stuff. Using this framework you can make both passive and active IR. The HDR should make it possible to use thermal (as stated above) so all you really need to add is the IR light.

feel free to nitpick it to pieces...

The Intermat website explains that with the anti IR coating your IR signiture should actually match abient temp thus you "blend in" it's not about reducing all blackbody radiation, it's about having the same IR signature as the hills and trees.

Doesn't exactly work like that - you can never have the same IR signature as the trees/hills, just like you cannot have the same visual signature with these objects. All objects reflect/absorb light to different degrees (you can clearly distinguish the hill from a leaves of a tree despite both being green), and it's the same with IR waves. Vehicles with IR paint are still going to show up as a big blob of something, albeit as the same colour as its surroundings - it would be analagous to painting a tank green for combat in the woodlands.

You're still gonna see the tank, it's just that it no longer sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really hope that thermal imagers somehow make it into OFP:AA's vehicles in some form or another.

could be this done thru modified shader overlay (or post process effect) on image ?

...if not in by default then some modders can try smile_o.gif

Doesn't exactly work like that - you can never have the same IR signature as the trees/hills, just like you cannot have the same visual signature with these objects. All objects reflect/absorb light to different degrees (you can clearly distinguish the hill from a leaves of a tree despite both being green), and it's the same with IR waves. Vehicles with IR paint are still going to show up as a big blob of something, albeit as the same colour as its surroundings - it would be analagous to painting a tank green for combat in the woodlands.

You're still gonna see the tank, it's just that it no longer sticks out like a sore thumb.

I really hope that thermal imagers somehow make it into OFP:AA's vehicles in some form or another.

I don't particularly like to be called stupid or missing the point when this is exactly how I understood it to be. You'd be the same "color" in IR as the hills and trees, obviously a different shape.