Sign in to follow this  
deanosbeano

RPG(role play) mission

OK so let me try to start from beggining lol,

The goal. more ambient rl style game play in ofp.

The way i have chosen :

1.destructable objects /buildings(done)

2. voice interaction (current project)

3.storyline (not done)

4.immersion (started and also inc in story)

Right here we go , i am now trying to make a single player mission

of the type mentioned above,despite my skills in editor i have one major flaw,i cannot make up a story line .:(

so what i have decided is to post a small video here so people can see it and hopefully,"spam" me some ideas to get my little lonely brain cell working again.

In the video i have used voices from at&t to activate the dialogue no typing is used at any point, my ultimate goal oneday will have the ai do everything whilst i watch lol .(sad but thats me).it does work also on a i speak it types,game reacts basis.(also would like to order artillery one day He19).

so i have a bunch of destructable buildings an even fancier voice activated input system, now i need story ideas.

many thanks for any ideas .

Deanos voice input system trial .02

p.s pls let it cache in firefox for a few minutes.

Now THAT is a very interesing and original project, i hope BIS hires you and forces you to put this into game2 aswell, as we are able to talk alot there biggrin_o.gif

But for a story line, no, cant help you mate confused_o.gif

Very intresting, is the system going to use microphones or those TTS voices?

For a storyline, how about you play the role of pilot who was shot down and is trying to evade enemy patrols while he uses the help of the locals to find his way to freedom or, you could play a POW who is trying to survive and must interact with his captors and possibly plan an escape tounge2.gif

Silly ideas, but getting the ball rolling smile_o.gif

I'd like an open-ended "Partisan" like dynamic feudal War-Lords RPG. With like 4 different clans starting at different ends of the map, competing for better equipment while trying to annhilate each other.

Maybe after successful raids,or impressive kills , you would accumulate influence points which would up your abilty to recruit civilians,Mercenaries etc.. to your side.  pistols.gif

ty for nice comments.

sytem uses mic. (player) and at&t for ai (ambient with random dynamic charachter building).

i have now got some help( sanctuary made me some arm and head anims for none english speaking AI and Mr Burns is helping with story ands some other things). with story and hope to have a very small test with a few people to see how lag goes affecting sppech input. i would hope that worse case scenario is reduced ambient in ofp and full in arma and expanded beyond game 2.

Quote[/b] ]For a storyline, how about you play the role of pilot who was shot down and is trying to evade enemy patrols while he uses the help of the locals to find his way to freedom or, you could play a POW who is trying to survive and must interact with his captors and possibly plan an escape
now we getting some where , like it . nice starter for ten

just a little update.

mr burns mentioned tactical iraqi , a prog for soldiers to learn broken language to comunicate for better response.well i dont know any iraqi, but i do know a lot of Brasilian portugues or portugues.so

i thought it would be nice that people could learn a new language whilst playing also. smile_o.gif

anyway here is a very basic start to my chacacter building for ai.

key = three men one speaks neither language one speaks english and one speaks portugues.

ailanguage

as always pls let it cache,just minimise for a few minutes in firefox.Double click to enlarge so you can see the text wink_o.gif

p.s i havent added this to speach activate/comunicate yet. what i will probably decide is to , keep speech interaction to english and foriegn to typed.

all anims here are kindly made by Sanctuary these are just a few of 6 he made for me.

It´s getting better day by day, the last video was really cool. And the 3rd dude just shrugging was priceless, i almost heard him say "fala portuguese or get lost" biggrin_o.gif

On the language feature im fully with ya, it´s one of the things making a mission more catchy and since that hasn´t been done before we´d might get away with that alone .. nah kidding, the helicopter pilot idea sounds great.

This is great! Awesome work, deanosbeanos!

A great feature would be multiplayer compatibility and "translation". For example, one player being able to "understand" portuguese, but the others don't, so he has to relay the information to the others.

At SOW we had a project that was to be included in our campaign that was in the pre-design pipeline for a long time regarding dialogs with AI. CrashDome made a Dynamic Dialog script that works well, but we talked a lot about making a multi-lingual skill-based version.

Here's an example to illustrate the idea:

Two mercenaries (the players) are patrolling some nearby friendly villages to build rapport with the locals.

Player A has language skills in Spanish and Portuguese. Player B has language skills in Arabic.

They arrive at town X and talk to the chief, who speaks Portuguese. Player B doesn't have the "Portguese skill", so when he opens a dialogue with the chief all the subtitles are in gibberish.

Player A, however, overhearing the "conversation" that Player B started, sees the English subtitles for both sides of the conversation (or whatever language the player's OFP is set to).

Having completed their business, they leave the village when a woman runs by screaming in Arabic. Player A (the portguese/spanish speaker) hears the screams but his subtitles are in gibberish. Player B, however, having the "Arabic skill" has legible subtitles, and learns from her screaming that enemy forces are on the way from the road.

Features like this would add not only a lot of immersion but also great teamwork gameplay to the mix!

well that mission you describe just has to be done, sounds fantastic.it is a more complicated version of mine, in which the player must actually learn the language smile_o.gif.

anyway i have spoken with crashdome and i hope that once me and mr burns get this thing moving,i will sign up at sow and we can discuss the above mission you just mentioned.

i am just making a clip now to update,it will be the last clip,because i dont want to give to much away about how to do the damn mission lol.

ty all for kind comment once again.

edit, btw fantastic idea that you have come up with, i was always wondering how would anyone do this with a hard language like dutch or arabic.of course you have realised that,you dont have to know the language to decode it , you need a trnslator(albeit one who dosent really know the language), and work together smile_o.gif

Edit2

very early test of system

little surprise near the end wink_o.gif.

apologies to fork122 shuda mentioned ya story idea and to sanctuary for small name in credits,overall sorry bout fact you cant see text in this shite player sad_o.gif. it makes more sense if ya see what i am typing lol.

basicaly . the woman speaks portuguese and i want that bike , the guy tells me the local language therefore i must first ask the guy for translation ,upon which he offers me some scrap of an old book. :0

OK enuff of that ,now we gotta go make this happen, bye for now btw no spoilers in that video, that was to give idea what the whole idea of rpg is lol well sorta

Can we get ye flask?

I'm interested with this, but now for some serious questions:

1. Do you say the stuff into your mic? Or do you have to type it in?

2. How sensitive is it? Exact words and Phrases? Or does it recognise certain words?

Can we get ye flask?

I'm interested with this, but now for some serious questions:

1. Do you say the stuff into your mic? Or do you have to type it in?

2. How sensitive is it? Exact words and Phrases? Or does it recognise certain words?

1. no you can type or say in mic ,either way works

2. unless i can parse the strings i dont know how sensitive ,it will be. in the old days you could use.$left $mid $right etc.

but for now i just working in phrases,. of course this creates a problem for none english and none(which ever language i chose ) speakers. but hopefully thats an added extra to this mission ,it educates and will hopefully be an immersive fun experience.

ok now the mic.for me it is the best way, because , the user can set sensitivity. 1 act on command if not all words understood ,in other words it recognised from the sentence "do you speak english" the word , English and so type the above sentance. or for the absolute foolhardy, 2. dont act even tho it recognised english it didnt hear "do you speak".

on the typed input(if i cant parse).

lets say for example ,you need the motorbike in the video.

exact phrase "could i borrow your motorbike please" ,its too explicit(altho a correct way to ask) and a little far fetched for someone to know that exact sentence.but we can ask if player distance woman shopkeeper <5 and sentence not understood (after 3 times) then ask "you want motorbike? you need to do me a favour" accept or not, for me its a better immersion than shoot her in head take bike and go.Of course in reality bike is locked and if she dead it stays that way .lol

RPG`s are hard and you have to experiment smile_o.gif.

"Do you say the stuff into your mic?" if you say "stuff" maybe she will go in house and fetch some army stuff lol wink_o.gif