Sign in to follow this  
combat-agent

Lag on a wireless 2 pc network?

I have 2 pcs set up on a wireless network. When i play ofp on LAN, the non server computer will lag for about 15 seconds (interenet lag, not game). Anyone know why this would happen? Now in this im defining two diffrent types of lag. The interenet lag, where the computer is running OFP fine but the connection for muliplayer is the culprit, thats what I am talking about.

Sounds like some kind of interference. Try changing wireless channels from the default channel 6.

Check the frequencies of your wireless home phone and make sure it's different then your wireless network frequencies.

I use a wireless connection to play OFP too sometimes, and I have to say that its far from ideal. The wireless connection cannot guarantee a seamless datastream, so I get sometimes unexpected lags. (And losing connection)

But if your connection is good normal (downloading/surfing) it might be some other setting like chipper said

I use wireless, and apart from a broken ariel, it's worked perfectly.. I've never noticed a slowdown on games.. They are designed to work over dial-up, and slow broadband, if your wireless can't transfer ~10kbs you need to get a better ariel, and/or move the access point around..

The only thing that sucks about it is moving files around, trying to move a 1GB+ file is horribly slow (around 800kbs average), compared to the normal-ish 10/100 ethernet speed of 8-10MB/s..

I'd like to be have this computer wired to the router, but the walls make that nearly impossible (the house used to be two, so theres an exterior wall between here and the accesss point), so the lower speeds are outweighed by the convienence.. I do run a crossover cable to an xbox (for Xbox Media Center, all the files are stored on this PC, and it plays it over Samba), and a few times I've plugged it into my laptop to transfer big files over, and it's a lot faster confused_o.gif

Buut, for gaming, wifi should be fine, theres no way a game should use more bandwidth than it has, as suggested, change the channel it uses, move the access point closer, make sure the access point isn't sitting on top of a microwave etc..

- Ben

Buut, for gaming, wifi should be fine, theres no way a game should use more bandwidth than it has, as suggested, change the channel it uses, move the access point closer, make sure the access point isn't sitting on top of a microwave etc..

- Ben

It's not about bandwidth, it's about stability of connection. Wireless systems constantly change their speed and the signal quality varies greatly for no evident reason. Your comments aboiut transfering large files proves all this.

Connecting to the router/access point by wire means you have a constant, unchanging and reliable connection to the network. Wireless does not give you that.

You've found this works for you because OFP is quite an old game and doesn't need to send much data. Also, it uses the UDP protocol which doesn't verify the data in the same way TCP does.

I'm connected directly to my wireless access point so I get my full 15Mbps connection always. Wireless cards suck ass.