Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Does that installation work? You could try copying all the stuff from your old disk to that one.

Yepp works fine mate-using it atm,i wouldnt have a clue as to transferring files from the old HDD?

The g-card in old pc is an ATI 2600HD 512mb (crap i know but i got me by on ArmA2 just)

Will up grade when money is available.

If i could just get me stuff of old HDD,seems like this new-ish pc will be a good base-once get some money for a few upgrades. :cool:

You could connect the old hard drive to your new PC and just copy across all the old files. Shouldnt be too hard once you have it plugged in.

Well -i must of fluked it!:D

I just connected it up and i can access it as a 2nd HDD! :yay:

Dragged over most of my important data! But guess what? Damn Arma2 having none of it!

Tried the simple thing of dragging Arma2 folder + My Documents stuff over but wont work!

Assumming cause it was installed as 32 bit ArmA2?

Anyway of searching the old HDD for emails saved somewhere to get my old emails with the Nexway ArmA2 details?

The Nexway d/load i had stored on the old HDD desktop-but it just wont have/find it!

Any ideas where it might find it in another setting place?

Sry for taking up this thread with my problems but i'm getting there! :p

Same reason your old Windows installation doesnt work on your new PC, you'd need to reinstall it properly. When you install an application on Windows, it kinda digs in to your system - it puts stuff in the registry and files in the system folders. With the effort involved in replicating that procedure (if it were entirely possible) it would just be easier to reinstall. Also the Securom security would cause problems. Have you contacted the download provider about your problem?

Also, what email system do you use? I'd be very surprised if those emails were stored locally on your system.

I'd be very surprised if those emails were stored locally on your system.

Obviously Not! :D

Just thought they might of been! :rolleyes:

People say my mic volume is way too low. I have my volume maxed in TS and mic boost is on.

Are there any programs that will boost my volume even more?

Check audiodriver's options. Is the volume level maximal?

Ok, I'm pretty much a dumb-arse when it comes to understanding things like OS and dual boots and what not. Currently I'm running Vista 64 and while performence in Arma2 is pretty good, those Windows7 pastures look greener. Basically what I'd like to know is can I install the W7 beta over my Vista 64 thereby leaving the files intact or would I have to partition my HD? My copy of Arm2 is a digital download and I'm pretty worried about messing with that and don't want to get caught in the "contact my provider for re-download" nightmare.

You can upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit (ie. nothing is deleted, and your settings and apps are saved... you just have the different OS) the only question mark is that I'm unsure whether you can upgrade to the real release version from the RC.

Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspx

even if that is the case, I havent had a problem reinstalling for a while, it's no where near being a pain when you have a second HDD and remember to write your passwords down. That and just get stuff like your game saves from 'my documents' and drag them across to spare drive. simples!

After having a rather unreliable computer a few years ago that required Windows to be reinstalled regularly onto it because of some seriously dodgy hardware, I wittled it down to a fine art. I make two partitions - a 20-30GB (Depending on the version of Windows) partition for Windows + non gaming software. Documents, downloads and games go into the rest of the drive (you can set the my documents folder to store in a non-standard location). Need to reinstall Windows? No problem. You just wipe it without lifting a finger. Reinstall your software and you are back in business.

Still prefer the Linux way where all the config files are located in the My Documents equivalent, so everything works exactly in the same way if you needed to reinstall or change from one Linux to another. Linux's system of software installation also is much better... but that's just me sounding like a rabid fanboy.

You can upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit (ie. nothing is deleted, and your settings and apps are saved... you just have the different OS) the only question mark is that I'm unsure whether you can upgrade to the real release version from the RC.

Ok, it's just that MS has this disclaimer on the download site

â– If you've installed Windows 7 Beta on your PC, you'll need to back up your data, and do a clean installation of the RC. Then you'll need to reinstall your programs and restore the files, settings, and other information you want to use for testing

That's going from the Beta to the RC, it may be different for RC to release.

Ahh, ok. Well by then I should have a retail copy of Arma2 as well so I won't be too worried over reinstallations and the like.

After having a rather unreliable computer a few years ago that required Windows to be reinstalled regularly onto it because of some seriously dodgy hardware, I wittled it down to a fine art. I make two partitions - a 20-30GB (Depending on the version of Windows) partition for Windows + non gaming software. Documents, downloads and games go into the rest of the drive (you can set the my documents folder to store in a non-standard location). Need to reinstall Windows? No problem. You just wipe it without lifting a finger. Reinstall your software and you are back in business.
If you have the money, a hot swap system might be interesting. That way you don't need crazy multiboot loaders, etc.

Have a dedicated storage device for documents, pictures, videos, downloads, etc and a hot swap bay with two or more (SCSI/SAS HDD/SSD) drives for your OS and software.

Some Core i7 motherboards have an integrated SAS controller, which already is awesome with HDDs, not even mentioned the oncoming SAS SSDs!

but that's just me sounding like a rabid fanboy.
No it's not. It IS the better system.

The only REAL problem with Linux (and some Unix-based OS's) is that even with Debian (apt-get) and GUI's, you still have to do a lot in the command terminal.

And you often need root access. Microsoft has copied it to something similar (UAC), but that actually works through a GUI.

It takes too much times for beginners to learn how to use any Linux distribution, with Ubuntu coming close to the Windows ease of use.

And of course the fact that software needs to be recompiled for various hardware architectures even though some are compatible (AMD64_x86 > x86).

Hi,

I'm looking for a PC that's good enough to power straightforward games and the like on. I was looking at this one or something like it in that price range:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-COMPUTER-450-DUAL-CORE-XEON-4-8GHZ-2GB-MEMORY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem27aaa240f3QQitemZ170366484723QQptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fDesktopPCsQQsalenotsupported

I noticed the PC thread above but it seems discussion is rolling on that one, didn't want to hijack the thread so posted this here.

I'm looking to run a fairly simple-ish game like OFP on it maybe up to ArmA level in demand intensity. I'll be running it with XP and it will strictly be a games machine, all stripped to bare bones running. I was thinking of even saving any work related stuff on it (I might use it a bit for some university things) to an external drive which I can plug in as and when needed which means virus checking stuff could be minimised too. The general idea being if a successful attack is made it's no biggie to format C and re-install.

SO what I'm really asking is:

1)Is the type of Computer in the link OK for what I need?

2)Are there any specific things I need to know (or would be handy to know) when running a machine on bare bones? Specifically are there any major pitfalls to watch for, and are there any special tips to help me run a super sleak fast software stripped PC?

Many thanks ;)

WITH 2 X INTEL XEON 2.4GHZ PROCESSORS = 4.8GHZ

Stuff like this makes my inner child cry.

Like alot of eBay pages, most of the description borders, and then transcends false advertising. Things like "The Dell Precision 450 PC workstation is one of the most powerfull contenders on the market place" would have been false when the computer was made in about 2004, but is just laughable now.

I'm afraid that if your budget is that low, you're going to get a problem finding a halfway decent gaming PC. Maybe you'd be better off upgrading what you currently have?

Ah excellent some good info! Ok then can you give me an idea of what I should be aiming for? The game in question (Battleground Europe) runs ok (ish) on the machine I presently have access to which is a Packard Bell machine with the following processor (I have no idea what this means):

Interl® Pentium® Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz

And has a pretty standard graphics card for the era it was purchased (about 12 months ago).

Ideally I'd like something a little better than that and definitely not something that I hear uses a whole GIG of ram just to run i.e. Vista - I want to use XP instead.

What sort of £ price range am I in there and is it worth buying 2nd hand?

Many thanks ;)

Is upgrading this machine an option? Also, how much RAM does it have? And what graphics card does it use (standard means nothing... although if it is a low end Packard Bell, Im going to guess integrated or low end nVidia/ATI)

Sadly not old bean, this machine doesn't belong to me and I need to purchase my own.

It has 2 Gig of RAM and uses a GeForce 7050. I'll need something similar or better preferably but as I won't be using Vista I assume that will free up alot of RAM?

I found this one. Would prob do the job well enough and it's near to where I live. Less than 3 or 3 miles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMD-Athlon-X2-Dual-Core-7750-Desktop-PC-computer-5-4GHz_W0QQitemZ130303769904QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item1e56b5bd30&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Still trying to understand all this stuff. I don't need anything to run a modern game with just something that has a processor that'll be in date for a couple of years and something that has graphics card expansion possibilities.

I was looking at some things and I learned that some motherboards have on board graphics cards which means no expansion possiblities - no thanks. I noticed most PC's even the cheap ones have PCI slots now for a card upgrade seems AGP is dated out now. Also I'm quite pleased with the amount of RAM being offered seems 2Gig is roughly standard. With XP I assume that means plenty for game power especially with a bare bones set-up.

Can anyone xpand on this or help me out with new info or confirm what I already suspect is true? Thanks.

*Edit* One more thing there's a slightly dearer one going which has an intel processor rather than an AMD one, is that preferable?

Edited by chris330

It doesn't have a proper graphics card, although you could get that PC, buy a graphics card and put it into it. What's your overall budget?

Hi again,

I'd say around £400 tops for the machine.

I suppose the machine in the link would leave around £100+ for a decent card maybe, or is there a better way to spend my £400?

Thanks ;)

That's a good idea. However, I should point out - it doesnt come with a copy of Windows. You could just install the WIndows 7 RC onto it, and then buy an OEM copy when the RC expires next March/April.