Sign in to follow this  
jj29

about weapon sway

i know there is weapon sway in opf and it will be in arma.I am just wondering if the weapon sway will be heavier.In opf the weapon sway is toooo light making it toooo easy to hit any target.so tactics become less important. i hope weapon sway will be much heavier in arma,espacially when you are standing or crouching.Many people think that weapon sway should be light because it is only caused by breathing.this is not right!Your weapon still sways even if you hold your breath.In fact ordinary soldiers' weapon sway is heavy,that's why an ordinary soldier seldom hits any target more than 200 meters away. I know the weapon sway will  be in arma.i am just worring that it won't be heavy enough!

Yeah, I hope that too. I really hated G36, and how it turned OFP into CS (Corridor maps, etc)

Guest Ti0n3r

BIS said that ArmA will simulate weapon recoil & ballistic kinetic energy. So I guees weapon weight will be simulated too. It would make sense.

Basicly : No one knows.. Not untill you have the ArmA box in your hands..

Besides, if the weapon sway is too low, how many minutes do you think it'll be till someone makes a config-mod to make it more realistic..?

- Ben

Well, I just hope that BIS has had some time on a rifle range, just to ignore their silly airsoft guns for a moment.

If they haven't, well, it's a whole buttload of fun, though I wouldn't know if Europe respects to right to carry and bear arms.

pistols.gif

tounge2.gif  Silly North America!

IMO, amount of sway should be somewhere between OFP and Brothers in arms (where there was a little too much of it, i think). Of course, it all depends on a weapon you have and are you in a prone position etc.

IMO, amount of sway should be somewhere between OFP and Brothers in arms (where there was a little too much of it, i think). Of course, it all depends on a weapon you have and are you in a prone position etc.

Why not look a bit closer to home?

The Wargames League mod (which I was just recently introduced; a gaming group I'm in had a HUGE WGL session yesterday) does an excellent job of giving the weapons proper levels of sway, amongst other things.

BiA's model is ridiculous, and shouldn't even be brought up when there are already OFP mods (and other games, for that matter) that do it so much better.

Guest Ti0n3r

True, there's a handfull of mods that already does the job. FDF is a pretty good example.

You're right. I just played FDF's mod SP mission Battlefield (just for a little reminder wink_o.gif ) and yes, sway feels just right, and recoil too. I wouldn't mind if it was like that in ArmA.

You're right. I just played FDF's mod SP mission Battlefield (just for a little reminder wink_o.gif ) and yes, sway feels just right, and recoil too. I wouldn't mind if it was like that in ArmA.

Have you tried WGL yet? I think they did the weapon sway/stance effects even better than FDF, and FDF's version was pretty good to begin with.

i know there is weapon sway in opf and it will be in arma.I am just wondering if the weapon sway will be heavier.In opf the weapon sway is toooo light making it toooo easy to hit any target.so tactics become less important. i hope weapon sway will be much heavier in arma,espacially when you are standing or crouching.Many people think that weapon sway should be light because it is only caused by breathing.this is not right!Your weapon still sways even if you hold your breath.In fact ordinary soldiers' weapon sway is heavy,that's why an ordinary soldier seldom hits any target more than 200 meters away. I know the weapon sway will be in arma.i am just worring that it won't be heavy enough!

Weapon sway is one of the most important spec to me. I simply can't enjoy original OFP when i've tasted FDFMOD's sway. It feels kind lame to stand and shoot accurately over 100 m away. Another thing is recoil which will change (gladly). Dunno about M16, but AKs have strong recoil (been shooting with finnish RK-62). I-ve heard and read that M16's sights hardly leave it's target, so recoil can't be even near of AKs. Autofire in FDFMOD is very insufficent way to deal with enemy even in close range.

Well, i just tried Ambush mission from original OFP in WGL mod. I like the sway, but i think recoil is better (more realistic) in FDF mod, although i really don't know how much recoil you get from M16. Lets make it a tie: WGL sway and FDF recoil! biggrin_o.gif

Well, i just tried Ambush mission from original OFP in WGL mod. I like the sway, but i think recoil is better (more realistic) in FDF mod, although i really don't know how much recoil you get from M16. Lets make it a tie: WGL sway and FDF recoil! :D

I'd have to put the two side-by-side to really compare the differences in recoil, but AFAIK one of the things that makes WGL recoil potentially seem lighter is that the field of view (aka 'zoom') in ironsight mode is higher (meaning, less zoomed) than in FDF. So, all things being equal, a weapon will appear to recoil more in FDF. Get what I'm saying?

As to M-16's, you can see a video of me shooting my AR-15 (basically a civvie M-16/M4) here. Very, very light recoil.

Is there somebody who knows how to edit config.bin to increase the weapon sway in opf?If you know ,would you please tell me?(hope it won't be too complex)

Is there somebody who knows how to edit config.bin to increase the  weapon sway in opf?If you know ,would you please tell me?(hope it won't be too complex)

Download Binview

1.Save the config.bin file as a config.cpp (make backup first)

2.Open the config.cpp and press ctrl+F, search for aimprecision.

3.Higher the values a bit (there are multiple sections with the aimprecision, one for crouch, standing and lying, you can look a few lines above and see something like

Class Crouch:combat

That means its the crouch anim

Class Weapon:Default

Is for the AT weapons, better leave this alone, the AI cant handle it wink_o.gif

there are others, just mess around and see what happens wink_o.gif ), higher the values a bit, then save. Test if you like the values ingame(pistol anims wont work during this period), and tweak them untill you are happy

4.Download Cpp2bin and convert your cpp file to a bin (make sure it doesnt overwrite your backup!wink_o.gif.

Now everything works again, and you are happy!  tounge2.gif  wink_o.gif

Thank you very much.i will have a try

I'd have to put the two side-by-side to really compare the differences in recoil, but AFAIK one of the things that makes WGL recoil potentially seem lighter is that the field of view (aka 'zoom'wink_o.gif in ironsight mode is higher (meaning, less zoomed) than in FDF. So, all things being equal, a weapon will appear to recoil more in FDF. Get what I'm saying?

As to M-16's, you can see a video of me shooting my AR-15 (basically a civvie M-16/M4) here. Very, very light recoil.

I understand what you're saying and maybe there's something to it (about different zooms in FDF and WGL).

Also, i watched your video (very nice, btw smile_o.gif), and as you said, AR-15 has very light recoil.

Sorry that i'm talking about recoil in weapons sway topic, but i think they go hand in hand, don't you? Those two things are equaly important for realistic weapons behaviour in games IMO.

Well, I just hope that BIS has had some time on a rifle range, just to ignore their silly airsoft guns for a moment.

If they haven't, well, it's a whole buttload of fun, though I wouldn't know if Europe respects to right to carry and bear arms.

1) I would assume that most or at least some of the men at BIS have had military training since the Czech Republic and its predecessor had a conscription system up until recently.

2) Europe is a continent, not a country. Following the same logic, does North America respect a right to

3) keep and bear arms? No. The USA does, in its Constitution. The Czech Republic doesn't, there is a firearm licencing system.

Quote[/b] ]Silly North America!

What is silly? American and Canadian firearm legislation differ fundamentally.

To clarify, I turned 18 almost a year ago, and there's a rifle range very near where I live. Now that I'm back from college for the summer, my parents let me use my credit card and driver's license to rent various rifles and waste tons of money on ammunition. I don't know much about international civilian gun ownership, leading to my unorganized comments. To be specific, I live permanently in Colorado, USA.

I'm sorry for my ignorant comments, please forgive this shallow person. thumbs-up.gif

I'm specifically sorry for my airsoft comment. I didn't know about the Czech Republic's conscription system, and I based my statement off the pictures at the BIS Fun Page.

But for the discussion, I have fired these weapons:

AR-15 (relatively long time ago, now hazy memory)

AK-47 (I didn't notice that much more recoil than the AR-15)

SKS Simonov (heavy gun, less recoil than AK despite same ammunition)

Springfield M1 Garand (.30 sure packs the most punch I've experienced)

Beretta 9mm

SW .38 Special

But despite having fun with these guns, I still consider myself extremely ignorant about shooting, as I just get a simple introduction to these guns without paying for a full shooting lesson.

Uh, hope that explains things.