Sign in to follow this  
evilnate

Why do you see OFP as the best military game?

Guest Ti0n3r

When I look at default OFP I remember why I fell in love with her 5 years ago. Back in 2001 this game had everything.

'Flashpoint' was the first mission in any game where it for me feelt like real war. You knew that you or your friends from the boot camp could die any minute.

I could waste time relating my opinions about the immersiveness of the game, but I guess I'll just say this:

Despite the relatively simple graphics of OFP's forests, walking through them with a squad is pretty scary, considering that you are not guarenteed to see the enemy first. wow_o.gif

So even despite the path finding issues (I just set Aware & Engage mode), I found OFP's forests to be more scary to fight in than MGS3's (not really a good comparison, I still like my PS2).

Quote[/b] ]So even despite the path finding issues (I just set Aware & Engage mode), I found OFP's forests to be more scary to fight in than MGS3's

I agree with Friedchiken on the above, despite the obvious issues it is always fun and challenging to fight your way through a forest in OFP.

Personally I love OFP because of the extensive addon community that almost extends the playability of OFP indefinitely!

1. Freedom. OFP is more than a game, it's a sandbox. This is the number one trait that has kept me playing OFP.

2. (relative) Realism.

3. All major combat arms (except indirect fire, altough the engine is capable of it) are modelled somewhat reasonably.

4. Relatively easy mission design because of ready-made maps. The editing process could be improved a lot, though. Include mods in this category.

Years of playing has jaded me and made me really aware of OFP's (understandable) flaws, but nothing has topped the game yet, so I will have to continue playing it.

The best gameplay there is. You can complete your objectives in any way you see fit, or better yet, the situation on the battlefield forces you to use the most appropriate tacticts. In other games like COD it was allways so frustrating when you want to get behind enemy's back, but you can't do it because there's allways some truck wreck or something that's in the way.

Only reason I see OFP as best military game is because of Mods. Thats it. I dont even look at Default OFP without cringing.

So then your more worried about how it looked which would be graphics,is that what your saying.

Regarding the addons - NO KIDDING!!

The addons and mods that the community have made are outstanding. My personal favorites are the Javelin, Pennywise's F/A 18 (go nukes!wink_o.gif, someone's F-15's, and all Ballistic Addon Studio Addons.

The F-15 addon sticks with me the most however. I live near a airport that hosts the blue angels every year and the sounds of the F-15 addon flying around, or even over head is right on the money (far better than most mil flight sims even).

I can't honestly understand why ArmA isn't getting attention! I keep checking Gamespy's E3 coverage to see what they have to say about ArmA and there's nothing!! if I had the money I would publish this bad boy and try to make a television commercial that sums up the game in 30 seconds. If there was actualy a way to do that and get it on the air, the only problem BIS would have is how to spend the money.

I can't honestly understand why ArmA isn't getting attention! I keep checking Gamespy's E3 coverage to see what they have to say about ArmA and there's nothing!! if I had the money I would publish this bad boy and try to make a television commercial that sums up the game in 30 seconds. If there was actualy a way to do that and get it on the air, the only problem BIS would have is how to spend the money.

I am genuinely upbeat about your idea, but I am not as sure as you are. People always have different tastes, for example some like arcade racing game like Need For Speed Underground, while others prefer serious racing simulations. Even among the OFPers we have people who only play for the "addons", well, you just never know.

Although the elite always know what to choose. wink_o.gif

OFP has provided some of the best singleplayer and cooperative gaming expeiriences I've had. I mean hell, what games these days actually come with cooperative as a multiplay option?

There's been all the realistic, tense battles I've experienced with friends at my side, and all the weird, creepy, and strange situations I've experienced as well... everything from Sopwith vs. Hind dogfights to vs. games using F-18 nukes to a masochisticly long game of "Hide & Seek" using the entire island of Tonal. Remember the mech with the huge minigun? Coop against those on maximum difficulty... damn!

Not to mention the six hour sweeps of enemy units in the mountains of Nogova, from dark to late morning, watching the sun rise (in-game and RL)...

well, it's best because only imagination limits the gameplay

...and some bugs, but this was nice comment anyway. thumbs-up.gif

i can't believe some of the replies in this topic ,i can only imagine your all playing this game drunk stoned and having sex while playing ofp....... pistols.gif i played ofp yrs ago and stopped playing because of all the moaners whingers and i can see u from 10 miles away in the fog cheats banghead.gif i recently put it back on to see what my 7800 gs made it look like and (no sugar coating)it was bloody horrible 2 d bushes bad terrain made only brilliant by superb gameplay.yes the game play element beats any game out there ,so will give you guys that... but come on the graphics lmao my little girl made a ofp fortress and your using it as a mod now hahaha nener.gif i am really looking forward to armed assault i have to say that the rest don't matter and if ofp is so great why are you not playing and not waiting for arma ofp will die completly the day arma comes out (no offence meant here just the way i see it).

hope to see you all on the battle field when it is released and great forums. notworthy.gif

Some of us may be too stoned to care about graphics, but personally I like the functionality of the ugly objects. I've played enough old games to appreciate good gameplay despite ugly visuals.