Sign in to follow this  

Kolgujev Conflict

Thanks Imutep, really do appreciate the time you spent helping me out here.

Unfortunately I guess I didnt realize exactly what 'static' meant, and now realize that all of the animations aside from the last anims pack you just revealed do not have moves that go into or out of the animations, and most if not all the animations being used will be primarily for dialogs in real time, which means there must be the whole animation sequence, from initial 'safe' stance to animation, and back.

Its not a big deal, I have plenty of good original bis animations to choose from, and as you can see the ones Id mostly be using would be general body motions that can be used somewhat universally for speeches during dialogs, like fxshow1, dismay, handtomouth, stuff like that.

I can see just from the names that the last pack you showed me is for combat moves, which unfortunately wouldnt really be applicable here, but I appreciate the help.

I do know theres a few individual animation moves released seperately, but theyre not worth the download and installation for just one extra move, so I think I gonna stick with what I got, unless there is an animation pack out there with conversation type moves that have entire beginning and end animations, looks like there isnt tho.

As far as advertising for this mission, thats up to you and I appreciate it, but I really dont want to feel pressured at all, and Ive toned down the speed alot so that my regular life can resume in a normal fashion, therefore it may be quite some time before it gets done, and so Im just stating this so that people arent expecting this to be done in a month, or expecting a bunch of progress every so often, just to make you aware of this.

Thanks again

Just wanted to say once again thanks for the help and support from everyone, and thanks Imutep for the animations, I felt that I might have been a little too 'honest' in regards to my findings as I tried the animations, doesent really matter so much if I use them or not, more so that you (and others) have gone out of their way to lend me a hand, I think I shoulda just said thank you for the potential additions that may be added to my mission wink_o.gif

And again I do appreciate that the mission progress may be shown on a site or two, its simply that I dont want to feel any pressure, so I just wanted to make it clear that really I dont know when this will get done, and recently Ive been putting new things into the mission, but as new stuff is put in the time to completion extends, but the quality increases too..

Anyhow, thanks again and cu's

A lil quick update, and a lil info regarding the work to play this mission lol - ill breifly explain

As you guys know, this is a diverse type mission that involves multiple factions and is a large scale 'adventure' type mission, now Ive been avoiding addons as much as possible, but I have realized to keep certain units from all looking the same, and individualizing units I have delved into more addon usage. Unfortunately this will mean for those who dont already have the stuff could be a good few addon downloads, but keep in mind im trying to get the best addons for each application, if I cant find an addon that at least compares to the detailed quality of FFUR mod's units then I normally forget the addon. I just added in a unit addon from Lowland warrior's mod, which unfortunately required 4 more weapon addons to use those new units, but the mission really needed some 'unique' looking units for certain apps that didnt wear helmets or heavy hats, and the berets look just right, and of course these units quality is top notch.

Also although there will be interactual stuff in the freindly merchant town, im keeping it limited because of the amount of time it is taking, it would be different if I had a bunch of custom speeches, but I dont, and therefore Im having to go through alot of voice files and even having to edit some for the mission, and on top of that the dialog sessions take time and patience to get just right with animations and all. So basically Im just saying that most if not all interactual stuff will be ONLY limited to the merchant town, and will be at a limited level, but will be as alive and meaningful as I can make it within a reasonable time frame. To imagine doing this same stuff for the other 13 towns would just take forever, Im still working on a second new conversation session with a particular high ranking officer, and its required going thru about 50 voice files, editing one voice file (took half an hour) and still working on getting the rest of the voice files in and putting in new anims, aaaand there will be at least one more new conversation with him later on, so anyhow...

I plan on at least one more major interactable session, and a number of smaller ones just for the immersion factor.

Thats all for now...

I've only a glimpse of your project right now but if it becomes as big as Abandoned Armys, replacing units with addons should be the last step. You'll be screwed when relying on addons now which you possibly have to remove later for performance issues.

Most of the addons are indeed already in, and those addons are mostly required for the mission to be as I desire it to, aside from a few do-dads. I know what you mean, but actually all the units except maybe 20 more or so are already placed, and most of these are not addon types, there are only a few here and there that I am using that need to be 'different' from everyone else, which is kind of a pain to go thru all this for just that, but when using dialogs between player and ai it seems neccessary that those ai units involved in these speech sessions should be individualized.

But anyhow, I appreciate the heads up, being that the addons for units in particular are being used in a limited fashion it prolly wont cause much additional lag, and would be easy to change those few units to something else if needed.

Thanks mp_phonix

It does seem kinda odd to me at times to be having continual updates on just one mission lol, but I guess this mission is a little different than a standard one..

Actually met my goal for today and completed the scripting and testing of a number of dialogs between player and a particualr Colonel, a few of these dialogs can lead to particular events occurring. All of the anims have to be done for these, and a number of new voice files need to be converted (already selected them tho), but anyhow the hard stuff is done for that ai to player conversation scenario, which is nice that its now out of the way.

Gotta work tommorow so things may slow down, but anyhow, thanks for the continuing support from all you guys, its nice to occasionally put down some stuff regarding the mission and actually get a little feedback now and a gain after spending hours working on it, I know its my mission and all, but its still nice, and I appreciate it.

Thanks stegman wink_o.gif

Thanks for the interest. I have been working alot the last week and a half, so a whole lot hasnt gotten done, although there's been alot of time spent on getting the dialog 'issues' fixed, primary issues were players shooting and possibly wounding the ai involved, where player would be conversing with an ai unit laying on the ground lol, other issues with the dialogs had to be addressed also. So just need to implement a universal delay script which will allow ai units to return to certain everlasting animation stances after performing an animation during a dialog selection.

There is now a hidden mission that can come up during a certain conversation, with pictures in the objective breifing, a number of smaller 'tasks' that are mixed in with that objective, and there is a usable reward for the objective completion, aside from this the completion of this objective will lead to other possible encounters as well. This is all work that is completed and is active within the merchant town, aside from the mission objective location itself.

There will still be at least 2 more 'major' player to ai dialog encounters that can lead to certain events, and then its time to do up the rest of the town with civies, a few mercs, and some limited interaction with them - some of these units will be in certain buildings.

Hopefully the merchant town doesent take too much longer, but its going well.

Thanks again for the interest wink_o.gif

Does the player start on the East or the West side of the island?

What are you planning on doing with Guba's House and the base on the same side of the fence? smile_o.gif

Always the tough questions come up tounge2.gif

I dont want to spoil too much, but player will likely be starting at his/her small camp in wilderness. As far as exact local area, I have a general area, but I dont want to say, so that when you start the mission you dont already know where to start heading, I think in the process of updating the mission Im already spoiling too much lol.

Not sure what you mean by the second question, but honestly I dont know where his 'house' or 'base' is, and now that you've spurred my interest in a possible application, if his house is a large interactable type maybe you can tell me where it is on the island...

Always the tough questions come up tounge2.gif

I dont want to spoil too much, but player will likely be starting at his/her small camp in wilderness. As far as exact local area, I have a general area, but I dont want to say, so that when you start the mission you dont already know where to start heading, I think in the process of updating the mission Im already spoiling too much lol.

Not sure what you mean by the second question, but honestly I dont know where his 'house' or 'base' is, and now that you've spurred my interest in a possible application, if his house is a large interactable type maybe you can tell me where it is on the island...

On the far west {not where the port, the other sode}. Play "Intrediction" mission in the CWC campaign and you'll see also

Thanks for pointing that out, may have found a use for the house.

The last 'major' dialog session is almost complete. Its still rough around the edges, with ten new voice files, a number of which I had to edit to get them to work. Setting anims and maybe adding in one or two more voice files for it are whats left, there is another hidden mission that comes up here, and an event that occurrs that is a new milestone for the player during the mission(cant say what it is).

Currently have 40 voice files in the mission, roughly 25 scripts, and will be adding in a few more voice files for limited short speeches for other merchant towns folks, but that stuff will be easy compared to having done these time consuming lengthy dialogs.

Just to let it be known, all the voice files used are high quality and have been strategically used to go right with each dialog, and each unit that has speaking abilities speaks in his/her own personal voice, basically just trying to say its been done right.

Hopefully by poking around this week I can finish tidying up this last dialog session, and then I can complete the rest of the merchant town, which shouldnt take too long.

The enemy merchant town will be done next, but there wont be any interaction there, as it is enemy and the only interaction if your close enough will be exchanging gunfire.

After that, want to start putting in the rest of the waypoints for all the advancable town units on the island, then lastly to incorporate ColonelSandersLite's Air Cav scripts and allow towns to be reinforced, these are the major things left to be done.

Wow.

Thats awsome ScotchSoldier, :sniff:, almost brought a tear to my eye seeing that up, really neat.

Its very late, worked a very long day, signing out for now.

Thanks again for the ongoing support.

This even sounds better than Abandoned armies, if you manage to make good stragedy thinking ais. Any idea when it's ready?

Not going to get into comparing my mission to someone elses, but there's no way my mission will hold the amount of scripting content that Abandoned Armies does, simply because I do not want to spend that amount of time on the mission. There's alot of ideas that I have tossed because of the additional time it would take. I know Thobson spent huge time on the mission, and theres a reason for that, so Im trying to just get the best bang for my buck in the quickest time possible.

I will say there's a pretty neat effect drawn from the massive town battle scripts, as they function almost as a seperate 'board game' in themselves, allowing battles to occurr alove the island, and allowing clans to react to the 'battle' enviornment, theres alot in those scripts that pretty much ensures that the island will be a dangerous place for while. I tried ealier to describe some of the stuff in those scripts, but theres so much in there, its best left to be seen in the mission.

Time to finish, could be a month, could be two. My work schedule has picked up, so last week and this week Im finding it hard to have time after work to do some, last weekend I spent a good 16 hours on it, this weekend I'm prolly gonna chill from this and enjoy myself some. I've been trying to find someone who knows scripting to maybe join up to help complete this soon, but as most mission makers know its tough to find someone willing to sacrifice some of their time to partner in a project where the concept is not really theirs..

Anyhow, I would like to post some new pics sometime soon, maybe once the merchant town is complete.

Cu all around

wink_o.gif

Well, I am officially stating that I am taking what feels like a major break from the work on the mission. Since the beginning of this 'concept' over two months ago I've been working feverishly at this, devoting tons of my time off on this, even my weekends becoming consumed with this. Its time to break away for a while. Just logged into SWG and found suprisingly that my account still exists there, since the start of this project I havent enjoyed any gameplay on my computer, and it was really nice to actually play a little for once. Everything is a mess, havent touched my car as far as cleaning in forever, and its time to clean things up and live some.

Thanks for the support from everyone, hey, at least the mission has progressed far enough to where it is not such a seemingly monumental task to get it done someday.

For those that may feel let down, or whatever by this, all I can say is, one, its just a game, and two I'm not getting paid for this, there simply is no obligation to get this done in some quick manner, nor even get it done at all, but nonetheless I appreciate those who have spent time giving support, which has fueled motivation to get alot done. I also want to give a big thanks to ColonelSandersLite, who has helped me repeatedly with a number of issues aside from putting up the air cav spawn scripts per my request here on the forums.

Time to live again!! Woohooo!! Now I got a disaster to try to clean up lol

Lastly, I want to allow this thread for now to just be let be, rather than it possibly get locked for taking up space in the active area of the forums, so Im going to not respond at this time to allow this, as I said rather than have this get locked, which I dont want as I do feel that I may someday in the near future get re-inspired to resume movement on this project.

Thanks again to all

Could you release the mission as-is so someone else from the community can finish it? smile_o.gif

I don't think he has given up on it, he's just taking a break from it.

Because of the fact a good few people invested their time and interest in this mission project, im going to quickly explain whats going on.

There was a total loss of information regarding the mission, including backups. The good news: Thank the Lord God(and thanks to CSL), ColonelSandersLite still had the mission versions I had sent him some time back while he was helping me. So, the main mission scripts are intact, which was the most time consuming (around 100 hours of work). There was alot of editor work that has been lost, as the versions I got from him were about a month shy of the latest version.

I had indeed more less quit on it also, mostly because one, I pushed way too hard and got burned out on it, two becuase (as a few people had warned me here lol) this turned out to be a much bigger project than I had initally realized.

I feel its only right to at least say that Im right now putting the peices back together, but this time there is no push, I'll be spending time on it in a fashion where I can enjoy it (the way I should have in the first place), so I wouldnt be suprised if 2 - 3 months could easily be put into it, if not more. Of course Arma will be out by then, and if its not too difficult and Arma can handle the load with the new graphics and all I might convert it to that some day.

You guys know that this is being designed with FFUR mod in mind, another words it should do well on most computers with FFUR mod installed, although I do fear Arma may be maxxed out too much by the amount of activity on the island occuring. Nonetheless I personally have been very content with the results in the graphic quality of the mission thru the use of FFUR, so even if most of the focus leaves ofp as arma comes in, I still would like to keep enjoying putting the mission together.

I dont really plan on making any updates any time soon, I dont expect to get any huge progress any time soon, but I would like to give an update when enough has been done to warrant such, anyhow, thought Id just let you guys know whats going on.

So yes, its alive, to me anyhow lol, although I dont know how many people will still have ofp on their hard drives by the time it gets done, nonetheless, I miss working on it, and look forward to actually 'enjoying' it, this round.

C u's around