Sign in to follow this  
william1

Redundant PBO's ?

hi, i have a doubt maybe anyone can answer me , in the root directory of OFP there is the Dta folder containing a folder named hwtl and two pbo's data.pbo and data3d.pbo . and the Res folder has anoher Dta folder containing the same archives. my question is , any of them are redundant ? would be possible to remove any of them in order to gain HD space and load time ? they are really big archives...

thanks thumbs-up.gif

smile_o.gif The short answer is no. You can try moving one of those files to your desktop and running the game to see what happens as a short test. I truly don't think that they would have included such a huge file if it was redundant. They most likely just would have overwrote it.

Take care.

Abs

well, i have just finished of making the test , i have deleted the folder hwtl and the files data.pbo and data3d.pbo from the Dta folder in the root directory, keeping the same ones in the Dta folder of the Res folder and it works perfectly !

they are 250 MB less in your hard drive crazy_o.gif

yay.gifyay.gif

Yeah, you can remove all the files that are present in Res\dta as well.

My OFP/dta dir contains only these files:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Abel.pbo

Cain.pbo

Eden.pbo

Music.pbo

Voice.pbo

scripts.pbo

Yeah, you can remove all the files that are present in Res\dta as well.

My OFP/dta dir contains only these files:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Abel.pbo

Cain.pbo

Eden.pbo

Music.pbo

Voice.pbo

scripts.pbo

i supose you mean you can remove all files in OFP\Dta except those six , in the Res\Dta you can't remove any of them , the game doesn't works , only for clarify smile_o.gif in whole, they are 280 Mb less , not bad wink_o.gif

mabey they were put there as backup files for someone who tried editing their game?

They're there as a leftover of pre-resistance versions. They were kept there so that you can still run 1.46 if you want. But I think there's really no reason to do that.

The res folder is essentially a mod folder. Just like any other mod folder, whatever is in there overwrites the normal stuff. So, as stated, you only need stuff in the root OFP directory if you are planning on playing v1.46. (Same could be said for duplicate addons in the 'addon' directory)

Yes, I have OFP running without the addons dir in the root of OFP. I just kept the res/addons intact. But I don't think it make's the loadtime shorter. Things as -nomap and -nosplash makes the loadtime slower. Mods slow OFP down to most of the time. So my question is, does your OFP start quiker now that you deleted those files ?

Greetz

Rotten

It doesn't load any faster. As said before, these files are NOT used by OFP anymore, that's why you can delete them safely. ....and since they are not used, they don't have any influence on load times. You're only saving like 200+MB of disk space.

If you are using custom skypacks you can also move it´s hwtl folder to res, again saves like 400mb.

I deleted data.pbo & data3d.pbo from res/dta aswell since it only needs the hwtl folder (if you´re using hardware transform&lightning).

Copied all the stuff from ofp/dta to res/dta aswell so i could delete ofp/dta completely.

I saved about 600+ MB smile_o.gif

hi, i have a doubt maybe anyone can answer me , in the root directory of OFP there is the Dta folder containing a folder named hwtl and two pbo's data.pbo and data3d.pbo . and the Res folder has anoher Dta folder containing the same archives. my question is , any of them are redundant ? would be possible to remove any of them in order to gain HD space and load time ? they are really big archives...

thanks thumbs-up.gif

If you are playing the Resistance only, and you want to save some space, you can move the content of the RES directory into the appropriate directories right under the main OFP directory and replace all files.

I am using this for a looong time, i haven't run into the slightest problems, and my platinum installation occupies only about 690 MB.

But if you try this, you would better backup the whole OFP directory - if you screw up something, you just put back the whole directory as it was, and you wouldn't need to reinstall the game.