Sign in to follow this  
Twinke Masta

AKMS in ofp

smile_o.gif

Hi, I am Twinke, I used to do alot of CSS replacement models and I can Model with 3Ds Max , skin with Photoshop/paintshoppro and UV map with most UVW softwares. I currently am working on Insurgency Mod for the Source Engine. I been in love with OFP since 2001 when I first got it. It was the first PC game I played and I been hooked since. I gave up playing it for a while but I have given up everything else to dedicate to OFP. I been dling alot of addons lately and testing them ingame (1-2 gigs worth D;) and It' be nice if I gave back to the community. I have only worked with the Half-life and Source engines, however, so transitioning might be a pain. I also don't know how well OFP handles certain models and texture sizes, nor do I know anything about compiling PBOs etc.

Well for my first "OFP" project I would like to convert an AK I made a while back ( I made the model and some of the textures)

[ig]http://img466.imageshack.us/img466/6348/akrendar0rt.jpg[/img]>100kb

The model is about 5200 Triangles and uses two 1024x1024 Texture maps. It is decent for the Source engine but I doubt it for OFP.

Can anyone give me a run down on this OFP stuff help.gif

Thanks guys smile_o.gif

That will work in the ofp engine, just need to make some LODs. Explaining the addon system could take a while though tounge2.gif

There could be a quality loss when converting the textures also

but uh, first you would have to convert that model into p3d format by importing into oxygen. Convert textures to .paa or .pac, fix any lighting problems, resize the model, make some lods, make a config.cpp for it, find some sounds but you can probably use the same ones as in css and release it. That should be all

Seeing as it is for the Source engine I suppose it has normal maps and not the ''old'' way of doing shadows and lightning (by hand painting it in)?

Addons with textures that have no shadow and no highlights look....well crap, so that is one thing you will want to fix.

Also, for an insurgent weapon, that AKMS looks too new, it needs more visible damage imo.

Quote[/b] ]resize the model, make some lods

Or do that in 3DS MAX, a program he is more comfortable with...

Seeing as it is for the Source engine I suppose it has normal maps and not the ''old'' way of doing shadows and lightning (by hand painting it in)?

Addons with textures that have no shadow and no highlights look....well crap, so that is one thing you will want to fix.

Also, for an insurgent weapon, that AKMS looks too new, it needs more visible damage imo.

Quote[/b] ]resize the model, make some lods

Or do that in 3DS MAX, a program he is more comfortable with...

the texture in the render is 100% self illuminated, so all teh shadowings etc are all already drawn on the texture. As for it looking too new, I didn't want to scratch it up too bad and not all AKs are as beat up as you would think they are. My WASR-10 is shiny and hot rofl.gif

As opposed to an AK that's probably been on the black market for 10 years?

whistle.gif

It would be a shame for that one particular AKMS to be in a weathered stage, perhaps the one holding it took care of it? tounge2.gif

Great job on the model and textures, I hope that with time it won't be long before this beauty is in game and functioning well.. Kalashnikovs.. inlove.gif

Sorry to sound like a d*ck, but... Another AK? confused_o.gifhuh.gifwhistle.gif

I understand that you're new to OFP, but just to let you know that there is already an excellent quality AKMS made by RHS

*has M-16/AK everywhere nightmare*

crazy_o.gif

5200 tris is like a little too much for OFP. You had better cut that by half and make good LODs, otherwise it's gonna lag the crap out of you. icon_rolleyes.gif The render looks very nice, thou.

You could use the render right there for a texture on a less complex model. That'd work out pretty good.

You could use the render right there for a texture on a less complex model. That'd work out pretty good.

A 1024X1024 texture on a lower poly lod?

No thank you whistle.gif

1024X1024 may be ok for a view pilot lod and the 1st res lod, but after that you need to start slicing the texturesize. End up with something like 128X128 in the last lod. Slightly bigger download but far better performance.

Although I am unsure what you meant by the term ''use'' (scale the texture down or put it on as is, in all it's mammothness wink_o.gif )

Also, if I see an M4 or M4A1 made by you I will personally beat you to death with a fish of your own choosing tounge2.gif

We need new M4A1's!!!

.....not goodnight.gif

A 1024X1024 texture on a lower poly lod?

No thank you whistle.gif

1024X1024 may be ok for a view pilot lod and the 1st res lod, but after that you need to start slicing the texturesize. End up with something like 128X128 in the last lod. Slightly bigger download but far better performance.

I think (though I'm not entirely positive about it) this is not correct. PAA/PAC textures have pre-calculated mip-maps. That means that at greater distances the lower resolution maps (128x128, 64x64 and so on down to 4x4pix) will be displayed instead.

So creating several textures versions with various resolutions is nothing else than a waste of memory. icon_rolleyes.gif

PAA/PAC textures have pre-calculated mip-maps. That means that at greater distances the lower resolution maps (128x128, 64x64 and so on down to 4x4pix) will be displayed instead.

So creating several textures versions with various resolutions is nothing else than a waste of memory. icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, all I know is that the Inv 44 weapons use various texturefiles for the different lods, and that seems to work better then having the mip-mapping do the work.

Also, if I see an M4 or M4A1 made by you I will personally beat you to death with a fish of your own choosing tounge2.gif

Well, he has plenty to choose from wink_o.gif

Arch.

Well, afaik, the textures are loaded before starting the game, so once a 1024x1024 texture is loaded, it stays loaded. So there is no point to add more lower resolution textures for other lods since this just means adding more textures which need to be loaded in the beginning..

Correct me if I am wrong wink_o.gif

Well, afaik, the textures are loaded before starting the game, so once a 1024x1024 texture is loaded, it stays loaded. So there is no point to add more lower resolution textures for other lods since this just means adding more textures which need to be loaded in the beginning..

But since everything is loaded in the beginning (although -nomap might mess with that) it wouldn't matter after starting up OFP would it? While playing the textures would have to be processed anyway, mipmap or no mipmap... confused_o.gif

Edit: oh and two 1024X1024 textures is way too much, I misread and though you meant 1 1024 texture...sorry tounge2.gif

So it seems I still stand correct. Adding more low-res textures for farther LODs means only taking up more memory and this can only have negative effect on performance. Even though it may not be noticable with just a few small weapon textures, it's not a good practice to follow.

Besides, if you look around, most quality weapon addons these days use equal ammount or even more textures (resolution-wise). You surely know about it, but let me remind that it's better to have one or 2 hi-res textures than a whole bunch of low-res ones. whistle.gif

Besides, if you look around, most quality weapon addons these days use equal ammount or even more textures (resolution-wise). You surely know about it, but let me remind that it's better to have one or 2 hi-res textures than a whole bunch of low-res ones. whistle.gif

Depends on what you mean by ''low-res ones''. Do you count 512X512 as low res?

Depends on what you mean by ''low-res ones''. Do you count 512X512 as low res?

I'm on of these guys that tries to make a addon with less texture files. I know allot of people are using another texture for for each selection thats on the model. So yes, you need to try to keep the number of textures as low as possible.

I'm also someone who makes different texture files for different lods. When you do, your lods look allot better! Trust me.. I'm not sure about the performance but what would a 128x64 texture mean for the performance?

-[EDIT]-

Small reminder, 2x 512 are better then 1x 1024 texture, you can see it at PAAtool or Texview, they have allot of trouble loading it.. and that doenst matter if you got a high performance computer.

Small reminder, 2x 512 are better then 1x 1024 texture

But 2x 512 arent same size as 1x 1024 wink_o.gif

The magazine in the bottom rifle in your picture has the textures from a bakelite AK74 magazine.

Wrong calibre textures biggrin_o.gif

No... you need 4 512 texture files to fill a 1024 file... wink_o.gif

The magazine in the bottom rifle in your picture has the textures from a bakelite AK74 magazine.

Wrong calibre textures biggrin_o.gif

You are wrong, it's a bakelite AKM magazine wink_o.gif

Although the ribs are wrong.. meh

No... you need 4 512 texture files to fill a 1024 file... wink_o.gif

Yeah, that's what I meant. One 1024x1024 texture is better performance-wise than 4 512x512 textures and definitely better than a dozen of smaller ones covering the same area.

Marss911, I can't see why the LODs would look better... maybe the resizing alghoritms in Photoshop are better than the ones used for mipmap generation but at the distance it shouldn't be noticable. Well, maybe when you guys release all those niceee inv44 models one day, I'll change my mind. wink_o.gif

hmmm

1. checking some of my addons...

2. i found 1024x1024 pac texture - 682kb

3. im resizing it to 512x512 and 256x256

4. 512x512 - 179kb

5. 256x256 - 42kb

texturing lods with lower resolution textures will use in total 849kb of memory instead of 682kb with one main hi-res texture

6. comparing mipmaps

a) oryginal 1024 and first mipmap 1024

compare17sc.th.jpg

b) oryginal 512 (zoomed to fit 1024) and first mipmap of 1024 texture

compare22qh.th.jpg

wheres the point in texturing lods with lower resolution textures instead of depending on pac mipmamps ?