Sign in to follow this  
simonfitba

ArmA's effect on the OFP online community?

As the title says really. Do you think ArmA will be good or bad for the OFP online community?

I'm undecided on this because I think the people that are playing OFP just now are great. Everyone is so helpful and have a great love for the game.

Sure, ArmA will bring in a lot of noobs (which I don't mind as we were all that way at one time) and it will also introduce a fresh batch of players to this amazing franchise. However, I don't really fancy the thought of all the silly kids thinking it's funny to TK their whole squad with a grenade - like in BF2. It'll just be a case of having to weed out the idiots again.

Of course none of that will stop me playing ArmA. Just the notion of a tweaked version of OFP make me feel all warm inside.

Naturally, we're going to see more of TK idiots since join-in-progress allows them to just drop in at any moment and kill some teammates. But that trend will probably wear down as the game ages. I wonder how JIP is introduced though, since some custom maps which have audio weigh sometimes over 1mb and JIP would certainly cause lag on the server.

Hopefully it's done so that JIP can be enabled/disabled by mission makers when for example long coop map is in progress and additional players popping in will just mess up the mission.

But if people experience crashes it is of course very good feature when people can reconnect immediately.

Overall JIP is a very welcome feature but more than that I expect improved netcode which would allow something like 64-128 players which would make CTI maps raging campaigns over entire islands/areas similiar to Aces high or WW2 online.

Hopefully there will be a really good cd-key protection and a portal system or something like that so that tkrs and cheaters can only play on pirate servers. It would be really sweet to have global bans on the cheaters or people that systematicly ruin games on purpose so they'd at least have to buy a new copy of the game to get back into public servers once their cd-key is banned.

there not helpfull to me.. join a server and get kicked cos they havent seen me before.. well duur let me play then you will see, so i genrally stick to my clan server with clan members  tounge2.gif

isn't it gonna be a little better graphics wise to Vbs1?

Or do you mean there are alot of tk'ing noobs on vbs1 servers?   biggrin_o.gif   tounge2.gif

btw i think its something you have to live with but i also think that many of the tk'ing players usually get discouraged by ofp's realistic play style.

I can't wait for JIP, all the possibilities for big coops that could go all failure and then some good players join in and help out to turn the mission into victory wink_o.gif

thats my vision of what i might experience during a hard 6 objectives coop mission online biggrin_o.gif

The only effect i see ArmA might have on OpF community: the community will suddenly get bigger, maybe over night.

They'll be lots of ppl that never played OpF but tried out ArmA because the screenies of the Blackhawk over the trophical island (forgot the name atm) look a bit like BF2. But by comparing ArmA with BF2 they'll find a lot of things that they don't like too much (like getting killed with 1 hit).

That's where us OpF vets should come in: to talk to them and repeatedly explain what ArmA exactly is about and what makes it so much better than arcade action shooters. Will require some understanding and patience because many n00bs will ask the same questions again and again. It's up to us to make them understand and therefore make them stay in the ArmA community.

smile_o.gif

)rStrangelove @ Feb. 20 2006,16:58)]The only effect i see ArmA might have on OpF community: the community will suddenly get bigger, maybe over night.

They'll be lots of ppl that never played OpF but tried out ArmA because the screenies of the Blackhawk over the trophical island (forgot the name atm) look a bit like BF2. But by comparing ArmA with BF2 they'll find a lot of things that they don't like too much (like getting killed with 1 hit).

That's where us OpF vets should come in: to talk to them and repeatedly explain what ArmA exactly is about and what makes it so much better than arcade action shooters. Will require some understanding and patience because many n00bs will ask the same questions again and again. It's up to us to make them understand and therefore make them stay in the ArmA community.

smile_o.gif

The one shot you're dead type of deal is why I like OFP so much, I remember playing Farcry and getting really pissed off because I would shoot people in the head like 20 times before they would die, kind of pissed me off. There is definitely a difference between OFP and other FPS, it takes more patients to play, which ADHD TK kids have, so I don't think there will be too many problems with it. I've been TK before online but usually by accident, because there are no friendly markers. All in all, I like OFP for what it is and I hope the JIP will help online play, I must say, it was quite annoying starting a game with 30 people, then only to have 8 after 15 minutes.

I have to say the OFP community has some of the most mature and sensible people you can get from a computer game. I will not be impressed if ArmA caters to the needs of people who simply want CTF maps and instant respawn ...

I am coop fan (or other realistic modes like A&D) so I do not think it will be bad for me at all. I play on passworded servers, with some mature groups, sometimes we give a green light for new people, sometimes we found a good player this way, sometimes we says thanks mate, but you have different style, regards. And thats all. New people will not change here anthing. Just more candidates probably.

Lately in Polish magazine OFP CWC was published, some people bouht Resistance, so there was some new players recenly. Thay asked noobish questions, but almost all of them were mature players (even if they were still kids).

Different question about public CTF/TDM and so on servers... But I do not play it so I ave no clue.

And of course there will be pleny of new clans/squads/groups. I hope plenty of new ideas, ladders, and maybe plenty of new good addon and mission makers biggrin_o.gif