Sign in to follow this  
fer

New MP Mission (beta) - 9v9 PLA Montignac

Hi,

Am looking for some friendly OFP squads / servers to test a new MP mission that I have been developing. The concept is simple:

UPDATED

Mission Overview

An infantry platoon of 4 8-man squads, plus a commanding officer, must assault a town (in this case Montignac on Everon) and eliminate the CO of a similarly-sized defending platoon within 30 minutes. The starting location for the assaulting platoon is 1km from the town, and unknown to the defending platoon.

Each squad leader is a playable slot, and group respawn is enabled so each player effectively has up to 8 lives. Both platoon COs are also function as playable slots or AI.

Key Features

• Players in the CO (officer) slots can choose to take command of ALL squads in the platoon! Using a system of map clicks and constantly updating markers, the CO can remotely move ALL squads.

• Helmet cameras allow CO players in the CO (officer) slots to see what their squad leaders see.

• Squads can be left with autonomous AI commanders, who will assault or defend as necessary (even supporting other squads automatically).

• Choose between West or East platoon defending (Select or Random).

• Variable AI skill levels (Easy, Medium, Hard, Insane)

• Variable time of day (Noon, Dusk, Dawn, Midnight or Random)

• Variable Weather (Clear, Overcast, Stormy, Mist, Fog or Random)

• NVG equipment is automatically added to all units if 'Easy' and 'Medium' AI skill levels are selected.

Ideally this is a 5v5 for humans, but it should be enjoyable as 1v1, as a Coop (5v0) or even as a single player mission with AI enemy platoon and squad commanders.

NOTE: This requires NO ADDONS.

<span style='color:Red'>EDIT: New location for mission file downloads:</span>

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.php?page=PLA_Montignac

If you have a moment to test this and can post some feedback that would be great!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

maybe i can give it a go this weekend or the next, depends if i have time to kick up a Lan and if my friends wanna play ofp too  tounge2.gif  Maybe i can give it some tesing on my own also  biggrin_o.gif

if its good i might do a LSR & RHS replacement on the units  biggrin_o.gif  if ya don't mind of course?  smile_o.gif

btw BAS version sounds intresting too thumbs-up.gif

@ Commando84

Just so I can keep control of the source code (until it is finished) let me know what unit replacements you would like to see?

Replacing units should be a 5-minute job, since only the playable slots are 'placed' in the editor - all other units (56 AI units) are generated from an editable script.

Suggestions for extra units / capabilities would be welcome, as this initial version is quite minimal (I just wanted to get the basic functionality running).

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Thx for quick reply, yeah i checked the scripts and mission only in the editor quickly and did a little testing with replacing units, yeah everything works fine except that the units that i fixed would be spawned doesn't get spawned so the mission gets very easy wtih only 4 a.is and the CO to take care off tounge2.gif this is a part of the long error message i got btw <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">""LSR_ranger_m240" createUnit [_Leader,_Leader,"",_skill,"PRIVATE"]|#|': Error Type Any, expected Number It goes on showing similar about all the other units tounge2.gif But well i don't know, could have been that this was made a quick test in the editor and not in mp enviroment. I'll try test more and create a server tonight and test if same happens then. Well i think you should have the a.i CO standing in the bunker cause when he's lying down he's easier to shoot cause he never really has so fast reflexes to turn around and shoot me biggrin_o.gif

The town feels a bit empty, maybe some objects could be thrown in like sandbags, civilan cars or jeeps or trucks. just cause you have them there it doesn't need to be used. They could be locked or something. But as it is now its a bit poor wink_o.gif Also i wondered where the friendly a.i's where but i figured out that cause the enemy soldiers didn't spawn then probably mine didn't do that either. it was a bit nice feeling though to meet the other groupleaders in the town just outside the enemy CO bunker biggrin_o.gif

I like the idea alot and i hope you keep working this out thumbs-up.gif

oh btw got a small idea, what about a little airsupport that squad leaders could call in from their action menu's? Like call in a 5 minutes airsupport from a blackhawk with MG and the soviets could call in the same but from a m117 with MG? And also maybe you can add a few civilians 3-5 that could be in the town hiding or so, just to add a little bit of risc to get minus in the scores if you shoot to careless pistols.gif

Hiya Fer.

We at Zeus have been doing these style missions for a while now.

You are welcome to try it on Zeus and develop it there. I also suggest you look at some of our missions.

You would need the WGLZ mod and some other miscellaneous addons all available at our forums on www.OFP-Zeus.com.

If you are interested post in the forums and they will sort it out for you. It is nice to see a few more people are coming up with these ideas despite OFP's age and a lack of like minded players.

You may also be interested in other projects we are working on in cooperation with other groups, all focused around realism and teamwork.

After some feedback I have created a new version of the mission.

Major changes are:

- Addition of vehicles (trucks for the assaulting platoon, jeeps for the defenders, with models appropriate for each nationality). This should give much more scope for defensive look-outs and flanking manoeuvres by the assaulting platoon.

- Addition of defensive obstacles: an outer permimeter of barbed wire, and an inner section of mixed wire and sandbag fortifications. Hopefully this should give a more realistic feel.

As ever, any feedback you can offer gratefully received - hope you enjoy this new version!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

link doesnt work for me huh.gif

thanks thumbs-up.gif

did you try Wargames yet wink_o.gif

What's new?

- Mission is now 5v5.

- Platoon COs are now playable slots.

- Third ending added, if defending platoon CO leaves the town.

- All squad leaders now have binoculars.

- The assaulting platoon CO is assigned a jeep.

Also, and in some ways more important:

- The code controlling AI-commanded squads in the assaulting platoon has been re-worked so that the first 75% of the distance is covered in 'Aware' mode, and only the last 25% in 'Combat'. This greatly speeds up the time taken for AI-commanded squads to engage the town (5-7 mins now).

- The code controlling the AI-commanded squads in the defending platoon has been re-worked to make it truly compatible with West AND East sides as the assaulting platoon (originally it was biased towards the West).

I've been able to do some limited MP testing and think the scripts are working okay, but I'm really interested in suggestions for what can go in the next iteration.

BTW, please try to bear in mind that this is really not aimed at players who want to play CTF-style respawn missions, so I fear I won't be implementing things like re-spawning armour or helicopters wink_o.gif

With regard to making versions for other addons, that will be simple to do, but probably left for when there is a stable release.

Hope you enjoy this!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

PS @ Q - Yes, I know of the WGL work (there was some overlap between the BAS and WGL teams IIRC), although I have not had a look at WGL recently. Will do so shortly! smile_o.gif

I have a small lan with three clients and a dedicated server, if you'd like some testing done (I'll try and get some done Friday..if theyre up for it, but I can test it my self.)

Also can I recomend something?

Instead of posting new releases, i think it might help if you edit the link in the first post and direct it to the new version. Or even links to all versions, but do it in the first post.  I think it'll help keep every one on the same version. smile_o.gif

@ Stegman - Thanks for the offer of a test. If you can post your thoughts etc. here that would be superb.

Thanks also for the suggestion about editing the original post. Have set up a wiki page to host all versions of the mission, and have re-edited all previous links. Hope that is helpful.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Tried it.  Like it.   smile_o.gif

It plays well, allthough i got my as kicked.  Badley whistle.gif

Heres an idea;

Why not have the atacking force try and capture the enemy CO (by getting close to him, this could then play a little cut scene or something...)?

Also you could have a small band of resistance fighters actually try to kill the CO of the defending side (and maybe the attacking force too?)  Might add more urgency to the mission as well as the 30min issue....

Just an idea though.

Glad you enjoyed it! Don't worry, I too have had my fair share of defeats against the AI as well, and I know exactly how the AI control scripts work!!!

Capture is a nice idea, although it presents a challenge if you are using a mixture of human and AI-controlled squads in the assaulting platoon. For example:

To prevent the assaulting AI from firing on the CO, you need to set him as a 'captive' ...

... but if he has a weapon he will continue use it (whether he is an AI or a player) ...

... which is unfair to the assaulting platoon's AI because they will never fire back (since they consider him a captive) ...

... and although you could disarm him, that then becomes unrealistic and also very boring if he is being controlled by a human player.

The problem is that in this version of OFP the AI units have very simple simulation of emotions, so even if the defending platoon CO finds himself in his bunker, with enemies standing all around him, he will not really have the 'urge' to surrender in order to preserve his own life.

I used to think that it would be different with human-controlled players, but there again my observation is that the fact that there is no real penalty / reward for staying alive causes the majority of players to opt for the 'blaze of glory' option when surrounded.

Your idea of using resistance troops sounds interesting. I wonder if we could adapt that to have some civilian sympathisers in the environment? Or refuguees that will get in the way of the fighting (and affect the outcome in some way)? Worth thinking about.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Finally got the chance to check it out.

The concept is good and well thought.

Still a bit simple in terms of vehicles and "weapons" (special units).

Yet it is meant to be like this for now.

I really like that you are using a semi random system !

Hopefully you like this suggestion and that you are able to implement it:

You should make the area of which needs to be held also

completely random over the whole island.

Of course you need to have a script which detects if the

actual area is playable (= no water for both start positions).

If you dont know how to do this, you might wanna check out

Silola's excellent Dynamic AI Creator - he does this check too.

This would make this as a template also for leagues very interesting.

thanks for your effort Fer  thumbs-up.gif

DAMN IT!!! mad_o.gif

It's too hard!! I hate it! I love it! I hate it!! Arrgh crazy_o.gif

It rocks.

How about making it random if you defend or attack?

Mind if i have a try at implimenting the FIA thing i was on about?

<span style='color:Red'>Version 0-4-3 is now ready, get it at:</span>

Some MAJOR changes:

- <span style='color:Red'>Platoon COs can now elect to command the WHOLE platoon!</span>

- Using a system of map-clicks, the Platoon CO (if human) can now remotely move and control ALL squads in his/her platoon (that are commanded by AI squad leaders).

- A system of constantly-updating markers will show the CO the current and planned positions of his/her squads. These markers are visible only to the CO.

- The original autonomous AI control of both platoons will kick-in if the human COs do NOT want to take command of their platoons. This is optional for each side.

This represents a major change to the mission, and means that it can be played as a 1v1 semi-strategic mission, 5v5 human conflict or anything in-between!

<span style='color:Red'>Note: This mission is now playable as 1vAI, particularly if the player takes on the role of one of the platoon COs.</span>

Hope you enjoy it. Many thanks to the following for help testing last night:

- NedFox <TZW>

- Mort <TZW>

- Bob <TZW>

- Wedge <TZW>

- Gerv

- Tarlizd (sp?)

Check for further updates and Addon versions soon!

Also, some responses to posts above:

@ Q: I agree, it would be great to have this function even more randomly, and in fact that was my original goal. However, the problem is that, unlike VBS, OFP does not allow one to move trigger locations easily (if at all). This makes it very hard to make scripts for AI-controlled defending squads, unless the choice of town is fixed. If I stripped-out all the automatic AI suff, then a completely random approach would be possible. However, the mission would then require a full complement of human players to be really useful.

Another reason for sem-random is that if you start the assaulting team too far away from the town it will get very boring for the defenders. As ever, it's about mixing gameplay with realism. Tricky balance - I'm sure more work is required!

@ Stegman: Glad you're enjoying it, and finding it hard! Try the new version, and see if you can win whilst taking command of the assaulting platoon. May give you more options wink_o.gif Also, I like your FIA idea but suggest you wait until the mission reaches a stable release. Won't be too long, I hope. Then we can start messing with Addons etc.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

first to say - excellent editing style Fer  thumbs-up.gif

clean, well structured and documentated.

a few more general impressions:

~ what about random time & weather selection as an addition to param1

~ why not add all units to the obs cam (bit tricky properbly)

~ possible to make AI attacking squads use the trucks for the approach distance (especially from provins they take quite long)

~ as for the limits of the ofp AI its best play to have human take the attacking side in my view

~ command option is very useful - if you dont know that stuff yet, might be interesting for you to take a look - CoC made such a commanding engine way back:

http://www.downloads.thechainofcommand.net/ce2_v1_22.htm

http://www.downloads.thechainofcommand.net/missions.htm

CE forum

here is the conversion to Wargames. maybe you guys like to give it a go  wink_o.gif

@wg_a&d_10_pla_montignac_v0-4-3.eden.pbo

WGL5 beta ~110 MB download

uploaded the map to our dedicated server as well

I can only stress that WGL is built exactly for these kind of engagements :P Gonna test this asap smile_o.gif

@ Q: Thanks for the conversion and pointers to WGL downloads - the new beta looks good, and I enjoyed playing through your conversion of the mission. Moving forward I shall try to produce WGL versions of the next few versions (which should be easy now that I have optimised the scripts for fast change-around of unit models).

With regard to CoC's excellent work, I was already aware of it (and a fan). However, I wanted to create something that was lighter and less complex - this is to reflect the fact that in reality giving commands often relies on providing a 'broad-strokes' picture and assuming that the subordinates will understand how to fill-in the detail. In the same way, I didn't want the COs to have to micro-manage the AI-squads: they should really just be focusing on where to place them.

Looking to your ideas / suggestions I agree with many of them. In the next build (already underway) I hope to implement the random conditions. There might also be a way to include all units in the spectator script - I have an idea i will try out late tonight if I get an oppotunity.

AI squads in trucks is also worth exploring, although I have found in play-testing that it gives the game away against humans - they can hear the trucks. That said, in very early betas I found that clever COs would send a single AI in a truck to draw-off the defenders and confuse them wink_o.gif

Another idea I am looking at is expanding the size of the COs' squads to include two more soldiers - they can act as scouts (when ordered into vehicles) or as extra protection for AI COs.

Similarly, it might also be possible to make the #2 slot in all squads playable, making the scenario 9v9. This also allows players to participate in a 'grunt' role, without having to command from the outset (although if the squad leader is killed they will have to step up). I've used this approach before in past missions, so will explore soon.

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the mission. Will post updates and variants soon.

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

Nice work on this.

One suggestion/request:

Would it be possible to remove the relevant actions and destination markers when the relevant team is eliminated?

Other wise very good.  I finally killed the bugger! (only me left alive though, as the RO, armed with an M249!wink_o.gif

I think you’ve cracked it.

In the add on version you could have the CO able to issue orders only when some one in his group and the subordinate group are actually carrying a radio backpack...!

<span style='color:red'>Version 0-4-7 is now ready, get it at:</span>

Some HIGHLIGHT changes:

- Random Environmental Conditions (default option)

- Random Attack/Defend options ('Hard' is default option)

- All units added to the Spectator Script.

- Defending platoon CO now has a vehicle assigned.

- CO squads now include 2 extra soldiers.

- When the Radio Operator dies, no further commands can be issued by the CO.

- Substantially changed Mission Notes.

- The 'master.sqs' script optimised for replacing default units with addon models.

PLUS

<span style='color:red'>The first addons variant - an updated conversion to WGL5 beta - is now available at:</span>

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.php?page=PLA_Montignac_Variants

@ Q: Thanks for your original conversion. I have started from scratch with version 0-4-7 and made a new conversion using all the standard WGL models, plus WGL markers. All the features of 0-4-7 in WGL flavour!

As ever, please post comments here. Hope you enjoy playing it!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

excellent mate notworthy.gif

we'll check it out later today smile_o.gif

as for conversion to Wargames:

we've got a sort of a program to convert

units, weapons and such in a couple of seconds wink_o.gif

(still its really easy without in your well structed way too)

<span style='color:red'>Version 0-4-8 is now available at:</span>

@ Q: Found an error in the 0-4-7 WGL conversion (the West units were not being generated as WGL because the variables controlling models were not used the West squad generation loop). Fixed now in version 0-4-8.

<span style='color:red'>Get the WGL conversion at:</span>

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.p....variant

<span style='color:red'>Get the Project UK Forces conversion at:</span>

http://www.ferstaberinde.com/index.p....variant

More conversions of 0-4-8 to follow shortly!

- Fer <TZW> smile_o.gif

If only the AI was smart enough to look for nearby empty vehicles with enough pasanger space before comencing on a journey over a long distance...and then disembarking _x distance from the target zone.

You know...that could probably be done. If you check the distance from the unit to the waypoint is, say, over 600m, then...'board and command empty vehicle (much the same way it was done in CTI)'...if in a vehicle, unload all units when distance is, say, 200m... If we, (or you, as i have bugger all knowledge of such a thing) you could have the attacking and defending units spawned anywhere on the map, they all then have to rush to the defending CO to protect/assisnate him! Youd have to scrap the 30 min rule mind....

...Maybe thats a bit too ambitius for this project, eh?

I just get to carried away. (you have to admit it's a nice idea though)

Back on track : I think the vehicles should be spawned 0.1 metres high, this will prevent them from 'sticking out' of the mountianside. Place them high and they fall into position. (this also works if placing vehicles in the hangers on Nogova, stopping the wheels from appearing to be in the floor)